Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #1

Gorilla Pods

The heavier duty gorilla pods seem like a convenient, lightweight, low-storage option for image stabilization out in the field in lieu of a tripod. Are there any recommendations or horror stories to using them? Are they practical, and how big of a lens can they realistically accommodate?

03-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Gorillas are pretty annoying!
It's hard to stabilize it, I think that a mini tripod (or desk tripod, whatever the name is) is better.
03-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

From what I've heard, DOri is correct. When I need small, I have a little table top tripod that works very well. When I need very small (e.g., to travel), I have a C-clamp affair (sold by Rowi that I bought a LONG time ago). It is kind of a Swiss-Army knife affair: screws, clamps, tripod all-in-one. I just found it on-line. They are still selling it.

Rowi
03-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
jaz

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses and the link. Looks like it's 0 for 2 against the gorilla pods.

03-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
YJD
Veteran Member

I have one and I like it... but the goal is not to set it up like a tripod but to attach it to a tree and anything like that. It is very useful when I'm traveling (I mean walking) and don't want to carry a tripod (even if I'm looking to buy a monopod some time this year).

Everything depends of your usage... a table tripod might do it for you.

For me it was the Gorilla Pod SLR-ZOOM, it can carry less than the FOCUS, but it is enough for what I but in my backpack.

But the Gorilla Pod, even the FOCUS version, will not replace a full size tripod... ever!
03-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I was given one for Christmas and it can't stand up with my K10d battery grip and Tamron 28-75/2.8 on it. Granted that is a good bit of weight -- the legs just collapse. I refuse to stip down my camera every time I want to use the thing. SO...I will use it with my off-camera lighting kit to hold a strobe when needed.

Some friends of mine swear by the Ultrapod, but I haven't used one.
03-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I was given one for Christmas and it can't stand up with my K10d battery grip and Tamron 28-75/2.8 on it. Granted that is a good bit of weight -- the legs just collapse. I refuse to stip down my camera every time I want to use the thing. SO...I will use it with my off-camera lighting kit to hold a strobe when needed.

The GorillaPod was not really designed to be free standing. You're supposed to wrap it aound a fence post or tree limb, etc. Which is why I don't use one - there's rarely a suitable object nearby to wrap it around when I need it. Also, they come in several different sizes - only the largest one would be able to handle your K10+BG+Tammy.

The UltraPod (again, multiple sizes) works well for me - it's a sturdy but conventional tabletop tripod with some long velcro loops that allow you to wrap it around things a la GorillaPod...

Last edited by OregonJim; 03-29-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added velcro comment
03-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Like other people have said, it's better when it's attached to something. The next size down is worth having because the head is removable and you can get a flash attachment. That one you can use standing or wrapped around something.
03-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote

They come in several sizes. Yours is probably one of the smaller ones. Mine will hold the k10d with grip and 16-50 with no problems, even used as a table top tripod.
03-30-2009, 05:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the larger Gorilla Pod and I did try attaching it to an object, but it still didn't hold. I think the object was a little large, but if you can never find the right size mounting surface, what's the point? Dead weight.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Like other people have said, it's better when it's attached to something. The next size down is worth having because the head is removable and you can get a flash attachment. That one you can use standing or wrapped around something.
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
The GorillaPod was not really designed to be free standing. You're supposed to wrap it aound a fence post or tree limb, etc. Which is why I don't use one - there's rarely a suitable object nearby to wrap it around when I need it. Also, they come in several different sizes - only the largest one would be able to handle your K10+BG+Tammy.

The UltraPod (again, multiple sizes) works well for me - it's a sturdy but conventional tabletop tripod with some long velcro loops that allow you to wrap it around things a la GorillaPod...
03-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've used a clamp, with three small screw in legs that will just about take the K10, for years.
It's the one piece of kit that goes wherever my camera goes, even when I've got my tripod with me as there are times when it's just far quicker.

It opens up to 53mm by pressing the green button and it ratchets open. Even though the ball head is very small it's very rigid.

It's made by Kaiser, and I don't know if they are still available.
03-31-2009, 02:35 AM   #12

There are several GP sizes available, if yours isn't holding your camera right then you've got the wrong one. I have the bigger one (biggest at the time, there is now an even meatier one) and it is always in my camera bag, I use it as a tabletop tripod, wrapped around bollards for long exposures of traffic, hooked over the top of a door for an elevated shot, to mount my flash on when I'm taking shots in a room - it's a brilliant piece of kit that works very well - if you have the right one.
03-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
There are several GP sizes available, if yours isn't holding your camera right then you've got the wrong one. I have the bigger one (biggest at the time, there is now an even meatier one) and it is always in my camera bag, I use it as a tabletop tripod, wrapped around bollards for long exposures of traffic, hooked over the top of a door for an elevated shot, to mount my flash on when I'm taking shots in a room - it's a brilliant piece of kit that works very well - if you have the right one.
Your uses sound similar to mine. I don't use bollards - there are not very many up here in the Rocky Mountains - but there are a lot of branches. As a table top it holds my k10d, grip and 16-50 quite firmly.

I've never used the over the top of the door trick, but that sounds like an absolutely brilliant use. Thanks.
03-31-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
YJD
Veteran Member

I found this at TigerDirect, it looks like what Lloydy is talking about and it cost $30.

Lumiere L60221 Camera Table Stand - 3-Way PanTilt Head, Quick Release, Adjustable, Light Weight at TigerDirect.com
03-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

That little clamp of mine will fit in a pocket, which gives me no excuse to go without some camera support.