Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Thumper473

Agonic Stedi-Stock stabilizer mount

I bought one of these form Cameta Auctions (Cameta Camera) and got it a few days ago. Did not know if I would like it at first but after a little bit of shooting and hiking with it I really like it.

Here are a few photos I took with it:

Shake Reduction off:

Creation date: 3/31/2009 15:03
Camera: PENTAX K10D
Lens: SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO/DL Macro (or SIGMA DL Zoom 75-300mm F4-5.6 or SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG APO Macro)
Focal length: 300*mm*(equiv. 450*mm)
Aperture: F5.6
Exposure time: 1/180"
ISO speed rating: 100/21°
Program: Program AE
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto (White Fluorescent)
Focus Mode: AF-S
Image Stabilizer: not stabilized
Noise Reduction: Off
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Shake Reduction off:

Creation date: 3/31/2009 15:06
Lens: SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO/DL Macro or SIGMA 55-200mm F4-5.6 DC (or SIGMA DL-II 35-80mm F4-5.6 or SIGMA 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC or SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG APO Macro)
Focal length: 70*mm*(equiv. 105*mm)
Aperture: F11
Exposure time: 1/90"
ISO speed rating: 400/27°
Program: Program Av Shift
White Balance: Auto (Daylight)

Shake Reduction off:

Creation date: 3/31/2009 15:06
Lens: SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO/DL Macro or SIGMA 55-200mm F4-5.6 DC (or SIGMA DL-II 35-80mm F4-5.6 or SIGMA 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC or SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG APO Macro)
Focal length: 70*mm*(equiv. 105*mm)
Aperture: F11
ISO speed rating: 200/24°
Program: Program Av Shift

Shake Reduction on:

Creation date: 3/31/2009 13:55
Lens: SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO/DL Macro or SIGMA 55-200mm F4-5.6 DC (or SIGMA DL Zoom 75-300mm F4-5.6 or SIGMA 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC or SIGMA 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG APO Macro)
Focal length: 85*mm*(equiv. 127*mm)
Aperture: F4
ISO speed rating: 100/21°
Program: Program AE
White Balance: Auto (White Fluorescent)
Image Stabilizer: stabilized

I suffer from the shakes due to diabetes. I was looking for something inexpensive to help me even though I use a K10D. Sometimes I shake so bad even it cannot compensate and carrying a full tripod around can be a pain. Even carrying the mono pod is tough at times.

The pluses are:
1 It works rather well
2 It allows the camera to be brought up swiftly and accurately.
3 Allows the camera to hang comfortably and securely at your side while not in use.
4 Light weight and comfortable. I took it on a 4.5 mile rugged hike and hardly noticed it was there.

The minuses are:
1 The camera seems to want to twist on it a little bit at times.
2 Needs a shutter release built into the front end of the stock or as a trigger on the grip.
3 Needs someway to stow the grip while not in use. I just use a rubber band to hold the grip to the stock but that could be better.
4 A tripod/mono pod mounting pint would be very handy too. Perhaps built into the removable grip.

I would and do recommend the Stedi-Stock. Here is their web site:

http://www.agonic.com/

I got mine here from Cameta Camera:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0014007YE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I am not affiliated in any way, shape or form with Amazon, Cameta Camera or Agonic. Just bought and like their product.

Last edited by Thumper473; 04-01-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: I messed up. Must be all those sinus meds!
04-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Thumper473

Sorry folks for posting twice. I am on a lot of sinus meds right now and a bit more dopey than my normal self.

Those images were all taken during /after a very strenuous hike through the hills and forests. There was very little PP done to them. Some contrast, lighting and noise reduction. No sharpen or unsharpen mask as I wanted you all to see the unaltered results of using the Stedi-Stock.

All comments welcomed. Please feel free to comment or ask any questions.

Thanks,
Eric B
04-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the review! I had a similar gunstock mount up until a year or so ago. Gave it to a Canon shooting friend who was having trouble birding with his big, white L lenses. He swears by it now. Think I'm gonna try this one out!
04-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the DIYers on the forum... I saw this the other day and am thinking about building one to test out...

Build Your Own Shoulder Brace and Camera Gun Stock

Obvious adjustments needed to work with DSLR viewfinder placement but should be doable.

A much sturdier and naturally more expensive alternative is the BushHawk Stock.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 04-02-2009 at 07:03 PM.
04-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #5

Seem to be limited to landscape shooting? Have you come up with the good way to do any portrait orientation shooting?
04-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
Damn Brit

I have the Zenit Photosnyper, I've been scared to go out in public in the U.S. with anything that looks like a rifle.
04-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I have the Zenit Photosnyper, I've been scared to go out in public in the U.S. with anything that looks like a rifle.
That's the first thing I thought of too. I think law enforcement may just shoot first and ask questions later when they see you aim one of those rigs at a building or crowd .

04-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
That's the first thing I thought of too. I think law enforcement may just shoot first and ask questions later when they see you aim one of those rigs at a building or crowd .
Or at the cops.
04-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Thumper473

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I have seen them too. Very nice! You would fit right in here in rural Pennsylvania with that one of yours. Our state is very big in hunting. Law enforcement here would probably check it out then go buy one of their own.
04-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
Thumper473

QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
Seem to be limited to landscape shooting? Have you come up with the good way to do any portrait orientation shooting?
Portrait photography is not something that I personally enjoy doing. I don't even allow my own portrait to be taken. Only photos for my I.D. Don't get me wrong because I have nothing against portrait photography and, for the most part, enjoy viewing the work of others.
I just do not have the skills for portrait photography nor the desire to attain them.
04-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
Thumper473

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
For the DIYers on the forum... I saw this the other day and am thinking about building one to test out...

Build Your Own Shoulder Brace and Camera Gun Stock

Obvious adjustments needed to work with DSLR viewfinder placement but should be doable.

A much sturdier and naturally more expensive alternative is the BushHawk Stock.

Mike
That is really cool! Thanks for sharing it!
04-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been looking longingly at at Bushhawk for quite awhile now. In part, because I too suffer from the shakes (essential tremor), and in part because I could use some non-tripod help while out with my Bigma.

Does anyone have experience with the Bushhawk?
04-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #13

I'd like to say +1 for any shoulder stock.

I had an old mechanically released gunstock from the 50s-70s... I removed the cable release, drilled out some room inside the grip and added my own electronic trigger. A sock and duct tape made a good shoulder pad. Sure makes that 2Kg Meyer-optik easier to handle.

I'm still looking at a bushhawk though...

Here's a panning shot I managed with it:
K200D
300mm f5.6
1/750
ISO 200

04-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
Thumper473

QuoteOriginally posted by comp_wiz101 Quote
I'd like to say +1 for any shoulder stock.

I had an old mechanically released gunstock from the 50s-70s... I removed the cable release, drilled out some room inside the grip and added my own electronic trigger. A sock and duct tape made a good shoulder pad. Sure makes that 2Kg Meyer-optik easier to handle.

I'm still looking at a bushhawk though...

Here's a panning shot I managed with it:
K200D
300mm f5.6
1/750
ISO 200

SWEET! Very nice pic. I like it!
04-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
Thumper473

QuoteOriginally posted by poco Quote
Poco,
My most sincere apologies to you! I misunderstood your post. I do not normally use the portrait position for holding my camera. I normally just shake too much from the diabetes. Another member sent me a PM and pointed out what you were asking so I went out tonight and tried using the stock while holding the camera in the portrait (vertical) position. To answer the question of the other member I also used my K110D not the K10D. Here are the results:

Camera held in portrait position:

Creation date: 4/10/2009 17:34
Camera: PENTAX K110D
Lens: smc PENTAX-FA J 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 AL
Focal length: 45*mm*(equiv. 67*mm)
Exposure time: 1/60" (-0.5*EV)
Program: Auto PICT
Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, red-eye reduction mode

Camera in the normal landscape position:

Creation date: 4/10/2009 17:36
Focal length: 80*mm*(equiv. 120*mm)
Aperture: F5.6
Exposure time: 1/90" (-0.5*EV)

Camera held in the portrait position picture rotated in editing program:

Creation date: 4/10/2009 17:47
Focal length: 38*mm*(equiv. 57*mm)
Exposure time: 1/60" (-0.5*EV)

I taped a wired remote shutter release to the front of the stock grip that screws into the camera body. This way I can use my index finger like a trigger finger. If you do this make certain to tape the release to the grip after you have assembled camera and stock or you will find it hard to get the release lined up facing forward.

When shooting with the camera held in the portrait position the stock is free floating over your shoulder. However the grip makes it much easier to hold the camera and the remote shutter release is right there under your finger tip. Your non shooting hand should hold the camera by the lens/camera body as normal. The free floating stock seems to act as an inertial dampener and stabilizes the camera. It is a bit awkward but one can get used to this very fast. I found it aided me in shooting from the kneeling position while holding the camera in the portrait position.

I apologize fro missing the intent of your post, Poco. I do not get to visit the board often and apologize for this late response. I hope this helps. If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me. I get PM notifications in my email and will not miss them. I will try to be a better member of this board too.