Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dampers or shock absorbers for tripods?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have seen for example Markins selling special dampening bases that will install between the tripod and the head, but those are specific to Markins ball heads and certain Gitzo tripods only.

I wonder if anyone knows of more generic dampers or shock absorbers out there! I am thinking that would be nice for example when using tripods on moving vehicles or on the deck of a motor boat, where there will be at least some sort of vibrations.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Maybe examples of DIY versions?

Last edited by gawan; 04-02-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typo
04-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a camera mount in the Cessna with rubber "isolators" between the camera and the mount. It's not very nice, but it does the job well. I have to be careful of RPM, since certain frequencies will "pass through" the rubber, but once you know what RPM to avoid, it's OK.
04-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I thought one could figure out an DYI solution but one problem is find a proper material, which really absorbs and not enhances the vibes, What kind of rubber do you use? Soft, hard or in between?
04-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wouldn't most of the vibrations being discussed be of a relatively low frequency? I would think that the higher shutter speeds could mask most (if not all) of it...

04-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I have seen for example Markins selling special dampening bases that will install between the tripod and the head, but those are specific to Markins ball heads and certain Gitzo tripods only.

I wonder if anyone knows of more generic dampers or shock absorbers out there! I am thinking that would be nice for example when using tripods on moving vehicles or on the deck of a motor boat, where there will be at least some sort of vibrations.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Maybe examples of DIY versions?
Wood is an excellent damper of vibration, as is rubber, and both are easily worked with simple tools. It wouldn't be hard to fab a wood pad with a rubber gasket that could be attached to the camera and then to the tripod.
04-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, I thought one could figure out an DYI solution but one problem is find a proper material, which really absorbs and not enhances the vibes, What kind of rubber do you use? Soft, hard or in between?
If you are handholding, you can attach a 1 pound weight to a short length of string and it will dampen some vibrations.

Otherwise, you can get one of these babies:

Kenyon Laboratories--Kenyon Gyro Stabilizers for cinematography, cameras and binoculars.

It's an active gyroscope that attaches to the tripod thread of your camera. Weekly rentals are from $200-400.
04-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It needs to be rather soft rubber, not the kind they used as spring in the original Mini Austin. I had to experiment a bit before finding the right hardness, but with my printing roller hardness gauge, it records at 14. I hope this help a little bit.

04-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #8

Meade | #895 Vibration Isolation Pads | 07368 | B&H Photo Video

04-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have seen a piece of neoprene cut from an old mouse pad to fit between the base and the head used this way
04-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
If you are handholding, you can attach a 1 pound weight to a short length of string and it will dampen some vibrations.

Otherwise, you can get one of these babies:

Kenyon Laboratories--Kenyon Gyro Stabilizers for cinematography, cameras and binoculars.

It's an active gyroscope that attaches to the tripod thread of your camera. Weekly rentals are from $200-400.
Yeah, I've flown several photographers who use those gyro rigs on helicopter photo shoots before... Last one had me hovering around a boat outside the Santa Babara harbor. They're very cool, gyroscopically rigid in all axis, you can turn your camera, but it will resist

Interestingly, I've flown newspaper photographers to cover a story, and they didn't bother with a gyro (probably too expensive to own, and too hard to get a rental on short notice). With VR/IS lenses, I'm sure they did just fine without it - I don't fly all that rough .
04-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Yeah, I've flown several photographers who use those gyro rigs on helicopter photo shoots before... Last one had me hovering around a boat outside the Santa Babara harbor. They're very cool, gyroscopically rigid in all axis, you can turn your camera, but it will resist

Interestingly, I've flown newspaper photographers to cover a story, and they didn't bother with a gyro (probably too expensive to own, and too hard to get a rental on short notice). With VR/IS lenses, I'm sure they did just fine without it - I don't fly all that rough .
Helicopters are notorious among photogs for the vibrations they induce (on the other hand they do offer many advantages over normal fixed wing aircraft). Gyros will help, but are excessively expensive. So far I never saw a photog with it, only film/video cameras. I remember a lengthy article by an UK aerial photographer who does not use gyros, but mainly tries to take the vibrations with his body. That means keeping the camera away from any parts of the heli (or plane) and trying to minimize body contact during the actual shooting with the heli. The human body has quite good dampening properties...

Ben
04-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

As for motorboats, cars, etc, which aren't necessarily as challenging as aircraft, (the most I've done there is like out the window of a puddle-jumper where I was just a passenger) ...say you don't have fancy stuff.... your body is good.

Relax somewhat more than you might otherwise, let your elbows come out a bit, let the camera get off your face, breathe low as usual, don't tense up. (as is natural and sometimes rather sensible, depending how the boat is going.)

It's certainly not equal to any kind of purpose-made tech, but your body is actually a lot better at damping vibrations than imitating a tripod as usual might lead you to think. Things that make you steadier on a solid surface may transfer vibration I'd also suggest letting notions of a level horizon go, if the boat is moving. Frame a bit looser and fix it later.
04-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips guys, what I actually have in mind is a bigger coastal cruising ship that has probably a steal deck, and some vibrations from the big engines, If the weather will be fine I think I can manage hand held, but I was prepared to use a tripod for the tele lens, so that was the base for the question, I think I might consider those small, and not too costly rubber pads, just in case or maybe just buy some rubber material to do sometyhing myself. We'll see...
04-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
There are special kinds of rubbers, "Sorbothane", "Norsorex", etc. that are superb at absorbing vibrations.

A product you may have seen is called "Happy Ball, Sad Ball"; two identical looking rubber balls, but when the sad ball is dropped on the floor it doesn't bounce; it just kind of squishes.

Hemispheres of such rubber are available for use as audio instrument feet at http://cgi.ebay.com/SORBOTHANE-HEMISPHERE-3-4-VIBRATION-ISOLATION-FEET-50D_W...742.m153.l1262
Such feet might be very useful to decouple a tripod from a vibrating steel deck.

I'd try the 50D (harder version); three of these feet should support up to about 24 lb.

Dave

PS I just ordered some for myself.....

Last edited by newarts; 04-05-2009 at 12:35 PM.
04-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
There are special kinds of rubbers, "Sorbothane", "Norsorex", etc. that are superb at absorbing vibrations.

A product you may have seen is called "Happy Ball, Sad Ball"; two identical looking rubber balls, but when the sad ball is dropped on the floor it doesn't bounce; it just kind of squishes.

Hemispheres of such rubber are available for use as audio instrument feet at SORBOTHANE HEMISPHERE 3/4" VIBRATION ISOLATION FEET 50D - eBay (item 250243360874 end time Apr-25-09 23:37:07 PDT)
Such feet might be very useful to decouple a tripod from a vibrating steel deck.

I'd try the 50D (harder version); three of these feet should support up to about 24 lb.

Dave

PS I just ordered some for myself.....
Thanks, Dave!