Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trip and storing pictures

I'm planning a trip to Europe in the summer and taking the K10D. Since I won't have access to a computer or anything else, how can I store my pictures until I return? I'll have half a dozen memory cards but that wont last very long.
Can you recommend a good travel and storage system, preferable something that is available in Canada?

04-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I've not field tested it yet, but I got a Hyperdrive Space (40gb) from Henry's; only took a few days to get here (I'm in Calgary)...

The big reason I chose it is speed... it'll consume a full 4gb card in about 12 minutes, and the battery will last for something like 100gb of transfer ... since I only have the 40gb unit I know for certain that I'll fill it before I run the batt down; or said another way I can put ten 4gb cards on it. It'll charge off a USB port so I may not even take the charger with me on most trips.

The other spiffs are it's overall design. It's very solid feeling - it has a metal shell, and it has a dim blue backlight on a simple lcd display. So at least you won't be burning up batteries chimping on a weenie little screen like some other units; in fact you won't chimp at all.

Plus it's upgradeable, plop in any hdd you like, up to 120 gb or so. And it has a AA external battery pack too. I suspect they are also working on an mp3 firmware update. On the side of the unit is an 'aux' port that looks a whole lot like a stereo jack - but who knows?

I'm taking it to Europe soon, so I can report back with a real test later. I'm going for 10 days, so I plan on holding 4 gb per day average on it, plus I'll have a couple of 4gb cards, plus a 2gb spare... I can't see filling all of that AND still enjoying everything else.
04-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've loved having the Epson 2000 on trips - you can download pics every evening, look at your pictures as you go on a nice 3.8 inch display, copy selected pictures to a memory card to take in and make backup CDs, and store 40 gig.
04-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanksfor the suggestions, I will look around if I can find them here.

04-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I picked up a RoadStor portable CD burner. Insert blank CD & memory card, push button and voila (ok more of a vvvvvvvvooooooooiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllaaaaaa - it's kinda slow) everything is copied to a CD. Also gives me a backup copy. Inexpensive & I haven't had any problems with it to date. Hard-drive based version might be faster tho.
04-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
I picked up a RoadStor portable CD burner. Insert blank CD & memory card, push button and voila (ok more of a vvvvvvvvooooooooiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllaaaaaa - it's kinda slow) everything is copied to a CD. Also gives me a backup copy. Inexpensive & I haven't had any problems with it to date. Hard-drive based version might be faster tho.
Thanks, I will definetely look into this as well.
04-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

consider extra SD cards instead

The wife, daughter, and I just got back home from a two-week bus tour trip to Italy. My Wolverine 40Gb backup disk wasn't working very well (an older model). After checking pricing on new units, I opted to just purchase some extra SD cards.

Over the two week period, I took 1610 exposures in DNG/JPEG mode. That is, I shot raw in DNG mode with the associated JPEG being recorded at the same time. I could have saved space by just DNG (or PEF) only. If I ran short of cards, that is what I would have to do, and eventually go to JPEG only. But, I didn't need to, so shot all in DNG/JPEG.

In my little cases, I took 10-2Gb cards (of various speeds) and 8-1Gb cards (also of various speeds). In case of emergency, I had a few smaller cards, but didn't need them, (30Gb total for all cards). I did "borrow" a 1-Gb card from my wife, as she wasn't shooting as much as I was, (she had a Pentax S5i p&s). In the end, I had enough room, without having to revert to JPEG only, and saved the several hundred cost of a backup device.

Bottom line, for me, extra cards are more cost efficient than a hard disk based backup device. Besides, I use SD cards now as we used to use floppy disks in days of yore. Another option for you that worked for me.

04-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Bottom line, for me, extra cards are more cost efficient than a hard disk based backup device. Besides, I use SD cards now as we used to use floppy disks in days of yore. Another option for you that worked for me.
Hmmm. That's interesting. It might be more cost effective to do that now, given that memory cards have come down so much in price. Back when I got my burner, a 512M card was around $100.
04-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I definetely have to sharpen my pencil to see which way to go, I like the idea of small memory cards instead of a hardrive to carry. But 30 - 40 GB in mem cards still add up in money...
But it's definetely food for thought
04-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by detlef Quote
I'm planning a trip to Europe in the summer and taking the K10D. Since I won't have access to a computer or anything else, how can I store my pictures until I return? I'll have half a dozen memory cards but that wont last very long.
One thing I noticed in Italy, was that there are an abundance of photo shops that would burn the contents of your memory card to CD disks. Didn't inquiry about the cost, as I had two concerns, (1) the quality of the media, (2) media capacity (that would have been a lot of CD disks for my photos, and didn't know if they burned to DVD or not). How many CD disks is required for the contents of a 2Gb SD card? If they charge by the disk, it might have been cost prohibitive. Then, I didn't want to be concerned about lugging around a set of disks and possibly scratching them.
04-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks 'volosong', the thought had crossed my mind as well but but I too would be concerend about having them burnt to CD. I'm currently pricing out mem cards but the lowest price so far is 40 CDN for a 2 GB card at Best Buy (GXT 133).
04-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
One thing I noticed in Italy, was that there are an abundance of photo shops that would burn the contents of your memory card to CD disks. Didn't inquiry about the cost, as I had two concerns, (1) the quality of the media, (2) media capacity (that would have been a lot of CD disks for my photos, and didn't know if they burned to DVD or not). How many CD disks is required for the contents of a 2Gb SD card? If they charge by the disk, it might have been cost prohibitive. Then, I didn't want to be concerned about lugging around a set of disks and possibly scratching them.
A couple of years ago, I went on vacation to Newfoundland. Low population density. Camera shops were few and far between. My Memory card was getting full, and the only place around was a Walmart. It had a machine which would copy files from SD to CD. Tried it. Seemed ok. Paranoid as I am tho, I went to a local computer store just to check file size. The walmart 'copier' had resized all my pictures so a significantly lower resolution. I threw away the CD & bought another memory card.

Just fuel for thought.
04-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

If you're willing to buy off of the internet
normancamera has a pretty good deal($24.75 for a 2gb Kingston Elite Pro + $10 rebate). I use these cards, but have never dealt with the site, so I can't vouch for them.

keep your eyes open for deals on the internet and you can get 2gb cards for as low as $20 without rebates, fairly regularly.