Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2007, 06:35 AM   #1

Sigma DG500 Super or Pentax 540FGZ (experiences)?

For K100D:

1.) Does anybody have negative (or only positive) experiences with this Sigma flashgun? Does it works always or misses sometimes (on bouncing especially)?

And for original Pentax flash users:

2.) What about Pentax AF 540 FGZ? Does it always fires correct or misses sometimes too?

360 FGZ comes out since it doesn’t have swivel…
The budget is also important (otherwise I would just take 540 FGZ without questions).

04-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got both name branded and off branded flash units. When they are properly powered and triggered they flash, period. Every time or they go back as defective.

Do they always fire as I think they should? No. Sometimes they over-expose, sometimes the under-expose, sometimes I get red-eye, or a highlight blow-out or a funny shadow. But when triggered the flash fired, period.

What failed was the 5 or so pounds of gray pulsing mush located between my ears and just behind my eyes.

Here's the facts, Fantocci: 1) With a few exception due to actual defects, most (all) flash units flash. 2) Brand specific units are tailored for specific uses and specific cameras and their feature set is usually larger than non-brand specific units in the same situation or with the same camera. 3)You, the user, must practice and experiment and practice some more to insure that you know what the flash is doing; you must adapt to the units abilities-it cannot adapt to yours. 4) There will be failures; the majority are user error.
04-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a 540 and I agree w/ jfdavis, it works as advertised, it works great if used correctly. other than that, the only failure it does have is when the battery is near dead, and i get a brain fart and forget to change something on the flash or the camera
04-11-2007, 11:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks to both!

jfdavis58, perhaps I wasn’t clear enough (it’s not my native language so I have difficulties with finding the right words).
Let me try again: the question wasn’t if they are working at all; I expect that they fire when triggered. But how precise the light is, which is coming out of them? Especially when bouncing from ceiling or with some add-on stuff like this:

LumiQuest® Photographic Accessories | MidiBouncer

What I meant originally is: Is 540 FGZ “infallible” or does he over or under-expose like Sigma does sometimes (I read this about Sigmas somewhere and my dealer is also skeptical about them)?
Or another way: Will I regret if I buy Sigma and not invest some more in original flash? But I would be very happy if I could save 200$ for other stuff, like new wash machine (wife involved)…

04-12-2007, 02:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've heard that sigma had compatibility problems with K10D so for 100% hassle free compatibility with current and future Pentax cameras I'd go after 540FGZ. I need to upgrade my 360FGZ with more versatile/powerful flash and Sigma is not an option despite the considerable price difference.
Oh and about "precise" exposure I don't think one could define it. Exposure very much depends on what the photographer wants to show and is a matter of one's taste or preference. Some flashes will automatically expose closer to you preference others won't.
04-12-2007, 02:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hvala, Matjaž…

Another thing crossed my mind: If I take this add-on bouncer:
LumiQuest® Photographic Accessories | MidiBouncer

do I still need both rotation and swivel functions of 540?

I mean if I take cheaper 360 FGZ and this gizmo, I could bounce from it no matter of camera rotation (being horizontal or vertical or something in the middle), correct?
04-12-2007, 03:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ni za kaj

I think that swivel function is obsolete when using this bouncers and in that case 540 compared to 360 would mean only more available power.

04-12-2007, 06:33 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Thanks for informations... I am planning to bay some flash gun for my K10D... and Pentax 360 & 540 FGZ will be only choice to me!

Lep pozdrav mojim slovenskim susjedima Fantocci & Matjazz!
In Croatia I know only few people with Pentax (K10D)!
04-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
Pozdrav tudi tebi, Jazzer!
04-13-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've been using the 540FGZ since my DS days (lol sounds like 30 years ago) and the exposure has only gotten better. With the DS I had to dial in -1.0 or -1.5 flash EV compensation almost all the time, with the K100D this problem got a bit better and I needed to compensate for the flash's confusion much less than on the DS, with the K10D, it's almost perfect; more mature implementation of P-TTL in the K10D, it seems.

I have no experience with the Sigma, and Slipchuck reported in another thread in this forum that it won't work with wireless flash onboard the K10... it's why I'd buy a second flash, I suppose for me the second one will also be a 540, 360fgz I simply can't buy, can't stand it's no-swivel design, stupidest thing Pentax ever did.

Cheers,
-Asad
04-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As for the accuracy or reliability shot-to-shot either of the two flashes you list are excellent. Do they absolutely calculate the precise exposure required--hey, I can't do that with a full room of computers---that first shot is always something of a 'best guess' (who or what ever does the calculation).

This is where practice enters the picture. Asad_Masede says his exposure have only gotten better with more use. This is also my take on the situation. If you can afford the batteries, you shoot and shoot and shoot until you fully understand and appreciate how each flash works wtih each camera. This is what Asad has done, it's what I have done--that's what makes them work!
04-14-2007, 01:35 AM   #12

Original Poster
Let’s talk some more, you were great so far

1.) What about AF assist lamp? Does this really help AF in low light? Can this assist be used without actually firing the flash (at concerts for instance…) Again, I am asking for both (original and Sigma) flashguns, since I have not decided yet…

2.) If I understand correctly: with both 360 and 540 models you can do wireless while with 500DG Super not (according to Slipchuck). Correct? I am asking for K100D for now…

3.) Does 500DG Super automatically senses ISO and focal length from camera (I suppose that both Pentax flashguns does)? So with P-TTL you don’t have to set anything on flash (apart from special modes like HSS or wireless etc.)

4.) I also want to be able to add some light for portraits in bright daylight at wide open (minimal DOF at 1.4 - 2.8 etc.), that means shooting with very short times (1/2000). I think HSS it IS intended for.
Does it work flawless with both flashguns (Sigma and Pentax)?

I agree totally with you, jfdavis, that experiences makes us better. I know that I improved a lot in such way… I just want to collect as much information as I can to make the right choice before purchase.

Last edited by Fantocci; 04-14-2007 at 02:52 AM.
04-14-2007, 05:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fantocci Quote

1.) What about AF assist lamp? Does this really help AF in low light? Can this assist be used without actually firing the flash (at concerts for instance…) Again, I am asking for both (original and Sigma) flashguns, since I have not decided yet…

2.) If I understand correctly: with both 360 and 540 models you can do wireless while with 500DG Super not (according to Slipchuck). Correct? I am asking for K100D for now…

3.) Does 500DG Super automatically senses ISO and focal length from camera (I suppose that both Pentax flashguns does)? So with P-TTL you don’t have to set anything on flash (apart from special modes like HSS or wireless etc.)

4.) I also want to be able to add some light for portraits in bright daylight at wide open (minimal DOF at 1.4 - 2.8 etc.), that means shooting with very short times (1/2000). I think HSS it IS intended for.

I agree totally with you, jfdavis, that experiences makes us better. I know that I improved a lot in such way… I just want to collect as much information as I can to make the right choice before purchase.
1) yes it does help, and yes you can use it for that purpose alone (spot beam mode, 540FGZ)

3)it should in P-TTL mode.

4)shot it a few times w/ the 540, worked great, just need to get used to it.
05-19-2009, 05:22 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fantocci Quote

I unloaded my DG 500 ST and went for a 360 FGZ. I want my Sima back, more consistent with a lot more power.
05-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have one Sigma EF 500 Dg Super and two EF 530 Dg Super, and they work first class. When you bounce off a wall or ceiling, exposure seems more accurate when the wide angle panel is extended. éthe battery compartment door is fragile. As for the innaccuracy with the K10D, that was only in wire less mode with the early models, and those flashes were re-chipped at no cost by Sigma. All in all, they are very good units, especially when you consider the prices. I won't replace mines anytime soon.