Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Holster bag for K20D

In my quest for the perfect "on the fly" bag I'm looking for a holster bag for my K20D with its almost permanently attached Pentax 18-250mm. Any suggestions?

04-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I now have about 5 "specialty" bags, but the "most used" is a minimal holster travel pack that was purchased about 20 years for overseas travel and resembles the now -Tamrac Model 517 Tele-Zoom Pak . It then held the camera, the lens, and (then) lots of film. What's more I used to stuff in a notebook and even a change of underwear just in case the airline lost my baggage. Very handy, and still used quite bit.
04-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check out Clik-Elite and Thinktank.
04-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, what else might you want to carry in there? Just the body and lens? (and how long is that, counting any hood you might use? )

I've got a Lowepro one coming that's really for my dear one to use when borrowing my stuff, ....it'll take a while to get here, but it should fit my K20 pretty well, too, I can test it out, grab a snap or two, if you still haven't made up your mind by then.

04-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
jem

I recently acquired the Think Tank Digital Holster 40 directly from Think Tank along with one of their belts. It fits my K20D with a battery grip and wrist strap no problem. With the extension at the bottom of the bag expanded it will hold the camera and a DA* 300mm with the hood in the stowed position. Or, it will handle a smaller lens with another tucked in the bottom (or a couple of Limiteds) of the holster. I'm still adapting to it but it seems to do what it is supposed to do.
04-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just the K20D and the 18-250 with a filter of one sort or another. It would be nice if it had a front pocket for an extra battery and a card or two but that's about all.
04-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As holster bags I use two modells, either the CCS Large holster bag, which is really massive and gives very good protection. It is part of the CCS system and can be used as a shoulder bag or on a belt - all straps supplied. CCS is somewhat hard to find.

Alternatively I have a LowePro Topload 70 AW, which swallows a bit more, including the K20 + grip. (tight fit, though). You can use it as a shoulder bag, on the belt or with a supplied strap kit as a backpack. It is probably a bit too large for your application, but it is very well made, intelligently thought out and I guess that would be the case, too, for the smaller sibblings....

Ben

04-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, those Thinktank ones certainly look pretty cool: I think if I were given to use that kind of thing, I'd love the expandable bottom. They do look like they're meant for really fat lenses, though. (I don't have an 18-250, myself. The one I have coming is a Lowepro Rezo model, which looks pretty minimalistic. There's probably at least one little pocket in there for memory cards and such, but it wasn't really important to the intended application, so I didn't look much into those details.

Should be a fair bargain, though: mostly the concern was fitting this odd-shaped bridge camera setup we like, which is kind of hard to fit all by itself. If I were carrying that without film cameras, it'd usually go in this kind of dressy handbag with a Domke insert in it, but I can't send my dear one into the field with that.
04-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The "OEM" Pentax Holster case/bag can be had for $18 from Pentax Webstore. Walmart used to have it for $10 but they're not currently shipping it.

Note: it's a bit tight with the grip as well. Fits, but just barely.
04-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #10

I have a Thinktank digital holster that works very well for my K10D with the 18-250 lens attached. I can get a spare battery and 1.4x teleconverter in the side pocket as well.
04-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh pretty much anything Think Tank makes is awesome. Top quality service too. I'm getting one of their roller bags soon, just a little bit more saving to do.
04-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've got a SunDog holster bag that is perfect for a K1000 + A70-210/4 with an inch or two to spare. Made from ballistic nylon with a hard vinyl lining, you can sling it over your shoulder or use the belt loops. I picked mine up in the '80s, so I wouldn't expect to find one today outside of eBay.
04-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Well, I got my Lowepro Rezo today, (It's a TLZ-20, I suspect you'd want a longer model for your lenses: this size takes my FA 50 with a rather-large hood on it that I like)

Makes a great fit for the K20d without grip, would probably be quite a squeeze if the grip would fit. )

Sharp-looking thing, very businesslike. (And I mean businesswear-like, the outside is kind of microfiberey like maybe a nice laptop case) The strap's nothing to write home about, (the hardware's nice, but some might want to put a little comfort padding on there) but it does have a front pocket, though one that only closes with a Velcro tap rather than zippering. (There are a couple of mesh slots that can hold batteries and memory cards, though I might prefer something that seals closed for absolute security about memory cards, probably enough)

Has a nice belt attachment that you can slip in and Velcro and snap into place.

If you like a no-frills option, these are a good deal, anyway, think I paid 25 for this one.

Anyway, can add more about this later, if anyone's interested, after getting a few other things taken care of.
04-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
Forum Member

I have 2 of the Kata H series (both the H14 & H16) & love them both. With the H14 I use the now discontinued sling strap- that you may still be able to get via Amazon- that holds a lot of extra stuff, especially when travelling. Both bags will hold the K20D with grip (though theycan be a might snug at first at the top).
The H14 will hold the K20D with DA* 50-135 attached. with side pockets for such items as batteries, cable release, etc; and the pocket in the "lid" that holds lots of memory cards and such. Or put the 50-135 in a side pocket & put the DA*16-50 on the camera.
The H16 holds the K20D with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 attached, with all of the same pockets available (though the extra lens you carry in a side pocket will have to be small). The sling does not fit the H16, but I wish it did.... I've taken the H14 with K20D/grip & 2 lenses on the train across the US. The sling pockets give a great place to store train tickets, personal items, phone, wallet, etc. Thus limiting the number of personal bags I have to carry.
These are rigid bags that take a lot of abuse. Though stiff at first, the cover loosens with use. I highly recommend both bags.
Good luck with your choice.
Tammy