Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quechua 2 second tent

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi guys,

I am wondering if any of you try one of those Second Tent from Quechua? How do you feel about them? I am looking at the 2 second Air III one. Want to cutting tent setup time and for immediate shelter in the field. How is their waterproof ?

for people who haven't heard about them, they are pop up tent. I remember I won't able to find them in US/Canada. They are selling those in Europe and Australia Areas.

Thanks.
Vic

04-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Hi guys,

I am wondering if any of you try one of those Second Tent from Quechua? How do you feel about them? I am looking at the 2 second Air III one. Want to cutting tent setup time and for immediate shelter in the field. How is their waterproof ?

for people who haven't heard about them, they are pop up tent. I remember I won't able to find them in US/Canada. They are selling those in Europe and Australia Areas.

Thanks.
Vic
Can we have a link Vic?
04-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Can we have a link Vic?
Of course. Quechua: Two Seconds Tent
04-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Damn Brit

I love the website. What a shame they don't sell them in the U.S.
I have seen something similar recently but I can't remember where. When I say similar, I mean almost if not completely identical. If I think of it, I'll let you know.

I want one now.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-06-2009 at 07:49 PM.
04-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I saw some cheap "non-official" ones on ebay and the ones that go with Quechua brand. I am worry how waterproof it will be for the non-official ones... don't want to risk that when I am out in the field and far away from the campsite.

I read several review online, only heard positive about the Quechua (but I have no idea if they are paid or not). I just wonder if there is any member here that use it to get a first hand exp.
04-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Gary, that is one of the coolest websites. And very cool tents, I can't believe how inexpensive they are. Can they be as waterproof as they claim? At that price how durable can they be? For multi day river trips they may just fold to big, though. Space is at a premium and their folded size seems to big, would be hard to pack them in a waterproof bag. Still, at that price.......

Here's a pic of my tent that I paid around $300 nine years ago. It's been through most all conditions and never failed me and still looks new. It is well cared for but is not babied, it's used in the field.

I sure would like to hear from anyone who has one of these tents, though, that quick setup and takedown would be great and for the price it would make a nice summer time tent to go up for the weekend and fish and if it lasted for only a couple years.... I still wonder about it's waterproofness.
04-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Don't forget those were English Pounds not dollars and I think, IIRC, camping gear does tend to be fairly reasonably priced over there.
It would be kind of stupid trying to sell a tent that wasn't waterproof in England wouldn't it?

I think I found out why they aren't retailed over here;
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/2006/quechua_tents.html
that happened in 2006 and then;
http://www.decathlon-usa.com/images/Decathlon_Claude_press_release.pdf

Looks like the flammability problems have been fixed but they lost the 'in' to North America.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-06-2009 at 10:28 PM.
04-07-2009, 04:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That really is to bad, I'd buy one. 25 quid is only about $37 right now. After reading their pdf's they've convinced me enough to try one on the waterproofness.
04-07-2009, 04:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hmmm, here's one on ebay, BIN+shipping would be $130.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Quechua-2-Tent-Pop-Up-Double-Lining-Simple-I_W0QQitemZ15...3%3A1|294%3A50
04-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #10

Got one for the past 2 years

And it stands up to the task.

Very easy to deploy and secure, fairly good impermeability. You need a couple of minutes to get the trick to pack it back, but only if you have two left hands (which is my case, btw).

I own a 3'' version, room for 2 and a good deal of space left.

If you need some more info, I can get it out in the backyard and shoot a couple of pics

- Vincent
04-07-2009, 06:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to see some pics cgw but hate to ask you to go to the trouble, BUT if you did, how bout some detail pics of the rain fly, how it's implemented. Also, did the tent come with a footprint (groundcover)? I think I read it did but I'm not sure.
04-07-2009, 06:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cgw_vince Quote
And it stands up to the task.
I own a 3'' version, room for 2 and a good deal of space left.
If you need some more info, I can get it out in the backyard and shoot a couple of pics
- Vincent

Hi Vincent, I am wondering how waterproof it is, because it is the most important thing to me. I agree their fold size is kinda big. oh well, 75cm of turtle shell

I see many selling on ebay, but they are charging premium as they know I can't get it in here (especially shipping, I see some from Australia the shipping is much cheaper than the UK) but if it is as good as they say in the official site, I don't mind.
04-07-2009, 07:05 AM   #13

will try to get some pics available this W.E.

I'll get the pics done this week-end. That's gonna be a good assignment for my recently acquired K200D !

As for water resistance, I can get to my local Decathlon dealer and ask for more detailed specs.

I must admit that I've never used it under heavy shower, but never had an issue with humidity or "regular" rain (whatever regular means here in center of France.

- Vincent
04-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Hi Vincent, I am wondering how waterproof it is, because it is the most important thing to me. I agree their fold size is kinda big. oh well, 75cm of turtle shell

I see many selling on ebay, but they are charging premium as they know I can't get it in here (especially shipping, I see some from Australia the shipping is much cheaper than the UK) but if it is as good as they say in the official site, I don't mind.
My wife bought one of these several years ago. It was labeled with a different name but looks like the exact same product. It is totally WORTHLESS in the rain which is the main reason you would want a tent to begin with. It was made of an uncoated nylon fabric and had no rain fly. You can make a fly or throw a tarp over it but then it is no longer a 2 second tent. Do yourself a favor. Get a good quality tent in the size you want from a good outfitter like North Face, Eureka, LL Bean, etc. It will last you many years of use in all kinds of weather. I am a satisfied user of LL Beans tents for many years.
04-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I heard about that too but they all not from Quechua.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
My wife bought one of these several years ago. It was labeled with a different name but looks like the exact same product. It is totally WORTHLESS in the rain which is the main reason you would want a tent to begin with. It was made of an uncoated nylon fabric and had no rain fly. You can make a fly or throw a tarp over it but then it is no longer a 2 second tent. Do yourself a favor. Get a good quality tent in the size you want from a good outfitter like North Face, Eureka, LL Bean, etc. It will last you many years of use in all kinds of weather. I am a satisfied user of LL Beans tents for many years.