Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteQuote:
Cupic: What that a seller or buyer Jeweltrail and can you give the member who bought it

cheers
Below is the link I used to make my Ebay purchase of the item.

NEW KPS U-13C Magnifying Eyepiece 1.35x for Canon Nikon - eBay (item 230334903610 end time Apr-12-09 05:58:47 PDT)

04-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
jeweltrail, if you end up not using the eyering, I might be interested in purchasing it from you =)
04-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Andi, here are some photos of my K20D with the KPS U-13C magnifying eyepiece attached using the eye ring as requested:

Hope this helps

Diego
04-09-2009, 12:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
soccerjoe5

Andi, here are some photos of my K20D with the KPS U-13C magnifying eyepiece attached using the eye ring as requested:
With this setup, it looks like there is no protection from the strong sun--is that true Diego?

04-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
With this setup, it looks like there is no protection from the strong sun--is that true Diego?
Minimal protection, but I get to push my eye closer to see everything. When your eye is pushed close, there won't be any sunlight bothering you. If you want protection, use the eyecup that's included You can even fold it back so it won't protrude as much. I think it's the best compromise between the fully extended eyecup and the eyering.

I'll take a photo of it (I gotta look for the eyecup first) later, I just have to finish a set of photos for a client

Diego
04-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Dang, Diego... even your "gear shots" are well-lit and shaply focused. Is that the DA70 on the front?

Looks solid and compact with the ring. The eyecup on my wife's AE-1 bugs me, but I do like it's split-prism screen and big view... but I'm wary of messing in the mirror box of my K20 so I'll give this KPS a whirl for MF first.
04-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Dang, Diego... even your "gear shots" are well-lit and shaply focused. Is that the DA70 on the front?

Looks solid and compact with the ring. The eyecup on my wife's AE-1 bugs me, but I do like it's split-prism screen and big view... but I'm wary of messing in the mirror box of my K20 so I'll give this KPS a whirl for MF first.
Haha! I just used a crappy old Samsung camera that I got for free at a photo workshop (that works only half of the time) lying around here, turned on all the lights in my bedroom and switched the "macro" mode on

It's a DA35 actually, with the hood pulled out! And yes the eyepiece is very solid and well-built. This combined with a split prism is just fantastic (tried it too) for manual focus. Make sure you get the U-13C model

04-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The UC-13 comes with both the eye ring and the eye cup right?
04-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
The UC-13 comes with both the eye ring and the eye cup right?
Yep, it comes with both!
04-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
soccerjoe5
Are you referring to the U-13C model of KPS? The ring is so much better than using the eyecup, it's very much better made than the eyecup and the OME and you can push your eye closer and it makes the whole thing slimmer.
Still seems to be some confusion on this point. When it is bright out. my poor pupils are bouncing around like little jack-in-the-boxes as they struggle to combat the brightness of the sun with the not so bright view finder in the K20d.

I find it very difficult to compose under these conditions. Diego, from your pics of the ring, I can not possibly see how it would block light from interfering with my left eye (shooting eye). I have tried burying my eye in the Pentax magnifying piece--it does not work--pupils are still constricted too much from sun to properly adjust to viewfinder--pupils need to be dilated for the viewfinder.

If you are saying the eye cup is cheaply made on the KPS, then this is going to be a big, expensive, flop for me. I do not want to take too much time in this post, but I have been struggling with this issue for much too long. I really had high hopes this device was going to eliminate the problem. But, again, I can not possibly see how the ring can help me--no matter how well it is made.

My issue with the Pentax eyepiece was not quality of workmanship; rather, my issue was it did not block sunlight from messing with my poor pupils.

It is looking like back to the drawing board for me, and, possibly, back to the Marketplace to sell the KPS. I may just have to invent my own solution to this problem.
04-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Still seems to be some confusion on this point. When it is bright out. my poor pupils are bouncing around like little jack-in-the-boxes as they struggle to combat the brightness of the sun with the not so bright view finder in the K20d.

I find it very difficult to compose under these conditions. Diego, from your pics of the ring, I can not possibly see how it would block light from interfering with my left eye (shooting eye). I have tried burying my eye in the Pentax magnifying piece--it does not work--pupils are still constricted too much from sun to properly adjust to viewfinder--pupils need to be dilated for the viewfinder.

If you are saying the eye cup is cheaply made on the KPS, then this is going to be a big, expensive, flop for me. I do not want to take too much time in this post, but I have been struggling with this issue for much too long. I really had high hopes this device was going to eliminate the problem. But, again, I can not possibly see how the ring can help me--no matter how well it is made.

My issue with the Pentax eyepiece was not quality of workmanship; rather, my issue was it did not block sunlight from messing with my poor pupils.

It is looking like back to the drawing board for me, and, possibly, back to the Marketplace to sell the KPS. I may just have to invent my own solution to this problem.
I was talking about the eye ring Don't be too quick to judge something you've yet to try. Since what you're wanting is protection from the sun/light, use the eyecup. I do not mean to say the eyecup is poorly made, I am talking about how solid it feels compared to the eye ring.

I was thinking about it and I realized that we all have different facial structures. I don't have that long of a nose and I can push my eye real close to the viewfinder, while others may find it to be a totally different experience.

The eyecup provides excellent light blockage. Anyway I found the eyecup and took some photos to help you out:

You can even fold it back to provide you some sort of compromise if you don't want too much rubber sticking out:

04-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is EXACTLY what I want, HOLY COW!!

I have a long nose (Thanks Mom) and I wear glasses (Thanks Dad) so I def want that. Hell, I should make THEM buy it or me!
I don't really care much for the magnification, I just wanna see completely into the viewfinder. I actually dismantled my OME-53 and took out he glass.
04-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

So I thought $90 was kinda steep for a viewfinder so I did some googling and found this site, Welcome to Seculine home page., they make some pretty interesting stuff, I am really liking the white balance cap that they make. Haven't found prices yet, but I will be doing some research.
04-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #29
Veteran Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is EXACTLY what I want, HOLY COW!!

I have a long nose (Thanks Mom) and I wear glasses (Thanks Dad) so I def want that. Hell, I should make THEM buy it or me!
I don't really care much for the magnification, I just wanna see completely into the viewfinder. I actually dismantled my OME-53 and took out he glass.
I also used to wear glasses/contacts with a grade of 500 (both eyes), but I had my eyes "lasered" a few months back. Best $1400 ever spent
04-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #30
Veteran Member

So I thought $90 was kinda steep for a viewfinder so I did some googling and found this site, Welcome to Seculine home page., they make some pretty interesting stuff, I am really liking the white balance cap that they make. Haven't found prices yet, but I will be doing some research.
Ouch that's expensive! I've seen it on ebay for about $50 EDIT: I checked ebay and looks like the only ebay seller that has the U-13C model is from Taiwan

OT: I've used both white balance caps and gray cards. WB caps are faster but I've settled onto gray cards for (1) keeping a reference photo in post-processing that can be shared if more than 1 camera is being used or if settings are changed and (2) it's kinda hard to choose where to point the WB cap when there are different light sources. I use a Grey Kard Mini and it's just been fantastic: tiny, waterproof, completely neutral gray material (not just painted).

Here's the WB cap just like the Zerocs (great stuff too):