Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been popping mine into an SD card case of late.

04-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
When I remove my hot shoe cover, I always lick it and stick it to my forehead. This way I don't have to ask everyone to say "cheese" either as they are all laughing at the jackass with something stuck on his forehead.
Hmmm. This might be interesting at sub zero temperatures. I also think that in extremely sweaty conditions, it might wash off.
04-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I FOUND MINE!!!

Put on my 501s today and there it was, in the change pocket.
04-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Hot Shoe Cover Does Affect Weather Sealing!

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I wonder if the cover being off would affect the cameras weather sealing.
Yup!

At least that's what Pentax, CO's rep told me.
Since I lost my K20D hot shoe cover and I was asking them if I can use the one from my K100D.
I was worried that it is not the same.
Lucky me that it's the same and provide the same weather sealing for the camera.

04-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I think I will take the original Pentax strap off my MZ-S and apply it to my K10D. The strap has two little pockets, one on each side, that are big enough for the eyepiece cover. The MZ-S eyepice cover is in one, and the hot shoe cover (identical to the one on the MZ-S) can go in the other.

I did exactly that with my *istD, K10D and K20D. They all have PZ straps with the little pockets. Anyone want brand new digital straps? They are still in the plastic.

The cool thing is the little pockets hold SD cards as well. So one side has the eyepiece cover and flash cover. The other side has 2 SD cards for backup.
04-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a pic of the strap. I attach mine to the left side because it's much better for portrait shooting and easily detachable.

04-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I FOUND MINE!!!

Put on my 501s today and there it was, in the change pocket.
Ahem. You are not using the correct terminology. That is not a change pocket, it is a watch pocket.

04-14-2009, 10:48 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Ahem. You are not using the correct terminology. That is not a change pocket, it is a watch pocket.
You know, that dang sentence took me 2 minutes to write because I couldn't for the life of me think of the proper name.
04-15-2009, 05:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Yup!

At least that's what Pentax, CO's rep told me.
Since I lost my K20D hot shoe cover and I was asking them if I can use the one from my K100D.
I was worried that it is not the same.
Lucky me that it's the same and provide the same weather sealing for the camera.
Really, is that so? Funny, there's sort of a little gap over the contacts between my hotshoe cover and the shoe. I wonder what it could be sealing.
04-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I can't imagine that the cover has anything to do with weather seals. There's no gasket on the cover or the guides that hold it or the flash in place. I'd suggest the only purpose for the cover is to protect the contacts from an accidental short and generally getting dirty. But really not that important as millions of SLR users have used their cameras without a cover there.
04-15-2009, 06:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Do you know any diabetics?

The little black bottle with the hinged lid that many test strips come in can be attached to your camera strap with a large paper clip.

It will never open on its own and will never get lost.

It is much smaller than a 35mm film cannister so it wont get in your way.

Mickey
04-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Really, is that so? Funny, there's sort of a little gap over the contacts between my hotshoe cover and the shoe. I wonder what it could be sealing.
Yes, for Real! :ugh:

That is exactly what made me question them too since I saw that there is a gap between the cover and hot shoe. I thought the hot shoe cover for K20D should be different than K100D's.
Maybe that only to protect from water drop from above like rain drop so water won't easily short circuit the contacts.

BTW, can we short circuit those hot shoe contacts when no flash is attached?
If not, then maybe we don't need that hot shoe cover for weather seal at all.
04-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I can't imagine that the cover has anything to do with weather seals. There's no gasket on the cover or the guides that hold it or the flash in place. I'd suggest the only purpose for the cover is to protect the contacts from an accidental short and generally getting dirty. But really not that important as millions of SLR users have used their cameras without a cover there.
Peter, thanks for the sensible comments.

despite my efforts, my hotshoe cover went missing as well. good riddance is my attitude, its just more 1 item on the camera to keep track of.

The cover cannot possibly be any waterproof help, BECAUSE ITS NOT GASKETED.

As to shorting out the flash contacts. The power source is the flash itself so what is there to short out?

I did just check the several contact points on the "hot shoe" and found 0.08 volts on one contact. Thats a very tiny amount, i doubt that its meaningful at all. I think the worst that could happen if these contacts were shorted out is a depleted battery over time. anyway, not going to cause me any sleep :-)

Phil
04-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I can't imagine that the cover has anything to do with weather seals. There's no gasket on the cover or the guides that hold it or the flash in place.
I tend to agree. The contacts themselves are already gasketed, therefore the cover would serve no purpose wrt weathersealing.

My guess it that it's there to reduce the probability of releasing a static discharge into the hotshoe contacts when you pick up the camera on a dry winter's day. Then again, maybe it's just a cosmetic doohickey (alternate engineering term ).
04-21-2009, 01:18 AM   #30

I recently purchased a second hand AF 540FGZ. I was looking over the case the other day and noticed there's a tiny pocket under the top of the flap just on the inside near the velcro that holds top closed. It even has it's own velcro! I wondered what the heck is that for? Too small to put anything useful in. I now relize what it is for!

P.S. I was looking the case over because I just can't believe they didn't put a strap, loop, belt loop, hook or something to make it easier to carry or attach to another bag or belt!

Packrat