Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Spot metering with split screens?

I wonder what happens to spot metering capability in our cameras with split prism/micro prism screen installed? Any experiences?

04-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It does not work reliably any longer. Spot metering and split prisms do not go well together. If I remember rightly, the Katzeye people do explicitly note state on their website, too.

Ben
04-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ben is correct. Spot metering is pretty much hosed when my Katz Eye split-image screen is in place. Pity we can't choose the spot meter point! (Now that would be a trick wouldn't it...)

Steve
04-14-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
stevebrot: Spot metering is pretty much hosed when my Katz Eye split-image screen is in place.
Spot Metering is pretty much all I use with my Split Prism. It is not spot on with every lens, but it is no more off than my M lenses are with any form of metering. Once I learn what adjustment needs to be made on what lens, I have no problems. For some reason, most of my lenses seem to meter accurately wide open--so I take a reading there, and just do the math to get where I need to go with respect to aperture and shutter speed.

I like and prefer Spot Metering with my Split Prism, for all my shooting.

QuoteQuote:
stevebrot: Pity we can't choose the spot meter point! (Now that would be a trick wouldn't it...)
Well, we can choose our AF point--how much longer before we can select our Spot Meter point too?

04-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
For some reason, most of my lenses seem to meter accurately wide open--so I take a reading there, and just do the math to get where I need to go with respect to aperture and shutter speed.

I like and prefer Spot Metering with my Split Prism, for all my shooting.
Spot metering with a split prism is to be expected to work with a wide open lens more accurately, if it works at all. This is due to the darkening or full black-out of the prisms, when used with a stepped-down or slow lens. So, what you basically do is applying photographic experience, which is fine. But it sure is different from "relying" on spot metering.

Ben
04-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the info guys! I have been looking for Katzeye for a while now. I guess I'll wait a little longer till I get a second body, so my current will then be dedicated to manual focus lenses and will get a split screen.
04-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have just about decided to go back to my stock focus screen after using this split screen.
I thought I had noticed differences in spot metering and I have definitely noticed the partial darkening of the center with the split screen. I have an old MC auto zoom 70-210 that I like to play with often and I am getting more shots out of focus with the split screen than I ever did with the stock screen because of trying to look around the partial obstruction and not relying on the camera focus sensors.
Some of you may want to think about these and others opinions. If the split prism focus screens often have trouble with lenses of arguable average f4apertures, maybe a split prism focus screen is not for you.
I try adjusting my eye position but this is not efficient often enough and I do not think I like this type of issue to restrict me from using all of my lenses on my K10 at any given time. Can anyone relate to this?
04-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Ben Edict: Spot metering with a split prism is to be expected to work with a wide open lens more accurately, if it works at all. This is due to the darkening or full black-out of the prisms, when used with a stepped-down or slow lens. So, what you basically do is applying photographic experience, which is fine. But it sure is different from "relying" on spot metering.
Ben, I select Spot Metering--I get a reading--I use that reading to determine my precise combination of aperture/shutter speed. You can word it any way you want, but that is utilizing Spot Metering. On some lenses, I know the Spot Meter reading is off plus 2/3rds, consistently--so I always Spot Meter, and immediately increase the shutter speed 2 notches, then fire.

04-15-2009, 12:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Ben, I select Spot Metering--I get a reading--I use that reading to determine my precise combination of aperture/shutter speed. You can word it any way you want, but that is utilizing Spot Metering. On some lenses, I know the Spot Meter reading is off plus 2/3rds, consistently--so I always Spot Meter, and immediately increase the shutter speed 2 notches, then fire.
I am sure, with your experience, you would be quite as well off with the standard center-weighted reading. Experience cannot be substituted by technology, only be supported to lead to even better results. What I meant, was not to question your approach in any way. I only wanted to emphasize, that the spot metering without the knowledgeable application of yours, would be not very useful.

Anyway I think, with the same level of knowledge applied, center-weighted would be just as good in its results. Matrix meterin is different, as I have found, that in some situations, especially backlighting, its results are kind of voodoo and hard to correct manually unless you take test shots.

Ben
04-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ben is correct. Spot metering is pretty much hosed when my Katz Eye split-image screen is in place. Pity we can't choose the spot meter point! (Now that would be a trick wouldn't it...)

Steve
I'm probably way off base here, but isn't that what the 'Link AF Point and
AE' option does?

(note to self, I really must read the manual sometime!)
04-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

yeah pretty sure you can meter from any point on the k20d, with said menu option.
04-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Ben Edict: I am sure, with your experience, you would be quite as well off with the standard center-weighted reading. Experience cannot be substituted by technology, only be supported to lead to even better results. What I meant, was not to question your approach in any way. I only wanted to emphasize, that the spot metering without the knowledgeable application of yours, would be not very useful.
Not at all--did not think you were questioning my approach. I just wanted to make it clear I actually use Spot Metering in the truest sense. But you are correct in that it needs to be adapted to these special needs.

I really prefer Spot Metering in almost all situations because it allows me to take many readings from the same composition, and then use my judgment for exposure. If the Split Prism focus screen had taken this tool from me, I would have been very disappointed. Since you mention the center weighted alternative, perhaps I'll give it a try too--thanks for the suggestion.

QuoteQuote:
Ben Edict: Experience cannot be substituted by technology,
Yes, well said--- now there is a maxim which holds truth in all applications.