Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Adding a second strap to the LowePro AW 200 Slingshot

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The strap is two inch webbing with a D ring sown on one end and a loop sown in the other. There are two triangular cutouts in the female main waist buckle of the bag. It is pretty easy to thread a heavy duty split ring through the top cutout for attaching the strap to the bag. The strap is looped through the top handle of the bag, the end with the sown loop threaded through the D ring, and then the split ring threaded on to the sown loop. Add a shoulder strap pad and it is very comfortable. The pad is a $15 black Timbuk2 bought at REI.

The split ring has been replaced with a tie wrap as the light weight ring I was using, started to bend out of shape.

As both straps are attached to almost the same points, the bag retains the same functionality. The second strap evens the weight across the shoulders, but doesn't provide any more stability.

Putting on the bag is pretty much the same as before, the main strap is placed over the head and across the right shoulder. The bag is then rotated a bit around the front, enough to where the second strap can be easily grabbed and the left arm looped through. The second strap is used to swing the bag to the back while it is placed on the left shoulder.

What I normally have in the bag and why I wanted a second strap.

Rotating the dividers to make getting into the AW 200 Slingshot easy.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 04-19-2009 at 01:06 AM.
04-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like this idea, Russell. The weight soon starts to bite so the extra strap would be really handy. I rotated the dividers too. Still fits K20D with Grip and the little grey fabric flap protects the LCD very well. The wide flat loop on the bottom or right side acts as a nice slip in holder for a Leki trek monopod with a ball and QR on top as well.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 04-19-2009 at 06:12 AM. Reason: clarify
04-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might have to try this... I think I've outgrown this bag though and looking at a full on two strap, larger option... this might keep me from having to spend some big-time cash though
04-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which is why I got the 250 Fastpac - has 2 straps but slip one off and it swings around to open at the side like this one.

04-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Which is why I got the 250 Fastpac - has 2 straps but slip one off and it swings around to open at the side like this one.
I bought the AW 200 Sling before the Fastpack was on the market, actually it was a gift from my wife. I did look at the Fastpack 250 and 350 on the LowePro web site and wasn't able to determine if I could get as many lenses in the main compartment of the 250 and if rotating the dividers was possible in the 350.

It seems like on the 350 the laptop space is taking the room needed for the rotation in the main compartment. If someone has rotated the dividers of the 350 please post photos.

Of the two, I though the Fastpack 350 was the most likely fit for me. I also looked at the Kata 3n1. There are a lot of things to like about that bag as well. My wife however gave me that hurt look when I broached the subject of replacing the Sling, so I took a look at what I could do with what I had.

On the Fastpack 250, do you have to pull your left arm out of the strap before you can rotate the bag? Would you mind trying to rotate the dividers and posting some photos of it? How many larger lenses, can you get into the main compartment?

If anyone has the Kata, could you try rotating all the dividers and post some photos, please. The manufacturer's site has one photo of half the dividers rotated, but can you rotate all of them? Yes, I'm stuck on the rotated dividers thing. It is just so much more usable for me in this configuration with the Sling that I wouldn't want to give it up. How is using the bag with those buckles on the main compartment side flap? Is the the flap hard to get open?

Thank you
Russell
04-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

So where do we place our orders? And rotating things around was a godsend! I'm actually able to fit even more stuff in mine now!
04-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Same here. I liked the Slingshot side entry idea, but wasn't too keen on the single strap. I was pretty much sold on a Fastpack the first time I saw one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
On the Fastpack 250, do you have to pull your left arm out of the strap before you can rotate the bag? Would you mind trying to rotate the dividers and posting some photos of it? How many larger lenses, can you get into the main compartment?
With the Fastpacks, the slinging system is slightly different from a Slingshot. You take the right strap off, then sling the bag around to the front around your left shoulder using the left strap. It is much more like just a normal backpack, with the side entry part. It probably is somehow possible to rotate the dividers on it, but I haven't found a way due to the design of the bag. The entry flap isn't as big on the Fastpack 250 as it is on the Slingshots, and the whole camera compartment is more of a rectangular design. Here's a couple of photos from a quick Flickr search:

04-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote

That top compartment looks huge compared to the AW 200 Sling. I wouldn't mind that at all. This looks like the perfect travel setup for getting on a plane.

Thank you
Russell
04-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

In the bottom compartment of my 250 I can fit my K20D (probably with a grip, but I don't have one) with the Sigma 70-200/2.8 on it, plus the 1.4xTC on (the 2x is a squeeze) in the middle bit. My Sigma 17-70 on the side, plus 2 50mm plus a 35mm. That thinner side bit can take a flash when straigtened out.

The top can fit a large sweatshirt in it. It also has a few pockets. There is also a pocket on the back for other stuff which I keep cards, battery etc.

The laptop bit takes up to a 15.4 inch one from memory.
04-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If you still want pics, even after seeing thsoe ones above, let me know.
04-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Rotating the dividers to make getting into the AW 200 Slingshot easy.

Well, duh! Why didn't I think of that?? Rotating the dividers this way makes the bag so much roomier - and I only have to unzip it half-way to access everything!

Thanks, Russell! You've saved me from BBA (Bag Buying Addiction).

At least for today.
04-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Why didn't I think of that??
I can't claim original thought, I too followed the advice of someone else.

Thank you
Russell
04-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

How about Kata?

This is the exact reason why I go with Kata 3N1-30.
Terrific bag.

No need to worry which strap I want because it does all these position:
- LEFT Sling Bag
- RIGHT Sling Bag
- CROSS / BOTH Sling Bag
- LEFT Regular Strap
- RIGHT Regular Strap
- BOTH Regular Strap

...the only thing it won't hold is a full size laptop but my 10" netbook fits nicely on the top compartment
04-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
This is the exact reason why I go with Kata 3N1-30.
Could you try rotating all the dividers so that only the side entry needs to be used and post some photos, please? I haven't been able to find the bag locally to try this. The Kata has a lot of nice features and the Prodigital2000 pricing puts on the outside of my budget so I might be able to swing this in the future.

How do you like using the entries? Are the buckles a pain or not an issue? Is the entry wide enough to easily get to the lenses and camera body with lens when the dividers are rotated?

Thank you
Russell
04-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Could you try rotating all the dividers so that only the side entry needs to be used and post some photos, please? I haven't been able to find the bag locally to try this. The Kata has a lot of nice features and the Prodigital2000 pricing puts on the outside of my budget so I might be able to swing this in the future.

How do you like using the entries? Are the buckles a pain or not an issue? Is the entry wide enough to easily get to the lenses and camera body with lens when the dividers are rotated?

Thank you
Russell
I am not sure I clearly understand what you mean with rotating all the dividers so that only the side entry needs to be used.
I'll try to take some photos of my current setting and we'll go from there.

I love the entries. You can set it for right handed or left handed or both at the same time.
The buckles is good for quick lock in case you're in a hurry but don't want to drop all your lens
but in the other hand that's also stopping you to open the bottom flap wide open because if you open the buckle on one side, you can't open the other side.

Again I am not sure with what you mean by rotating the divider.
But yes, the entry on my Kata 3N1-30 series is wide enough for my K20D even with battery grip attached. And I still can fit another body if I want to in the bottom compartment.

Let's see if my wife wants to help with video, I'll try to make a short review of this bag.