Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Just Got Elinchrom Skyports...

So I just got a set of Skyports and have some questions. First of all, they rock and triggering with radio is the bomb. But a few things that seem to be giving me problems are the fact that my af360fgz kep turning off after three minutes, because it is in the on position. I have a 540fgz and 2 360fgz's. On the 540, you can turn the auto-off feature off, but I found no such feature in the 360 manual. Is there any way around this? I only have 1 receiver, so I put it on one of the flashes and put the other two on Slave 2 optical triggering. So if I put the Skyport on the 540, and trigger the two 360's optically, then it's all good (because when the 360's are on slave mode, they will stay on for an hour). But sometimes an hour is not enough, or if for some reason, I want to Skyport on one of the 360's, i turns off every three minutes. Then I have to go over to it, shut it off, and turn it back on.

Second deal is, how do I go over my sync speed? When I have a skyport on the hotshoe, it will let me use any shutter speed I want, but will only send a signal to the hotshoe at 1/160th and below. What's up with that? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

04-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneralBenson Quote
Second deal is, how do I go over my sync speed? When I have a skyport on the hotshoe, it will let me use any shutter speed I want, but will only send a signal to the hotshoe at 1/160th and below. What's up with that? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Sorry, no help on the standby mode of your flashes, as I don't use these. But the sync speed is another thing. Why would you expect your radio triggered flashes to sync with faster speeds than the normal sync speed of your camera? If you trigger via radio or IR or any other method, that does not involve the Pentax wireless function, the flashes cannot make use of HSS, but will only fire in normal flash mode. And that requires the camera to shoot at sync speed or slower.

Ben
04-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sleep mode can be an issue. Also, the newer electronic flashes can have issues with being triggered consistently.

I went with some 285s and solved the problem. Lots of power and cheap. you will need to either fabricate or buy a cable from Flash Zebra for the HVs, the 285s will work without the cable.

There is no advantage to the P-TTL flashes over something like a vivitar 285HV since you can only sync at the flash sync anyway.

Anyway, I love the skyports, have had them for 2 years now and they've been great.
04-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Skyport Speed

While it's true that a Skyport can sync at speeds up to 1/1000th of a second, part of the equation is the camera being used. Here are some things to keep in mind.
  1. Skyport can only sync electronic shutter cameras (point and shoot) at 1/1000th of a second.
  2. Skyport can sync leaf shutter cameras at 1/800th of a second
  3. Skyport syncs with focal plaine shuttered cameras (DSLR's) can differ based on the camera, but normally close to thier rated sync speed.

Here's the deal. Some camera manufacturers highest advertised sync speed is only available when using their own proprietary equipment or when shooting with a sync cable. When shooting with a sync cable their is no delay in sending or receiving the signal. When using a radio slave system, the signal should be encrypted, send then decrypted at the receiver, so there will always be a slight delay using these systems. The other factor in the equation is how fast the shutter opens / closes and the mirror gets up/down. Some exposure scenes may provide the top sync speed of a camera while others you will get clipping. Normally though, if you are getting clipping you can drop you speed down by one F stop and you should be in good shape.

Hope this helps.

Mark Astmann
Product Sales Manger Lighting Equipment
Bogen Imaging

04-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So there's no way to get the camera to still send a signal to the hotshoe above the max x-sync? Don't our cameras have electronic shutters? I was pretty sure about that, since 1/125 sounds the same as 1/4000. So it shouldn't have problems blacking out the frame, but it won't send a signal above the sync speed. FP sync is cool and all, but is pretty limiting.
04-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can do High-Speed Sync (sync above 1/180s) in wireless mode for sure with the AF540 and I believe the AF360 too, but not with any of the 3rd party radio triggers on the market AFAIK. They don't "speak Pentax", as it were.

While the shutter is "electronic" the simply means it uses electronic timers and circuitry to control the physical shutter mechanism. The 1/180s limitation is a mechanical hardware limitation, not software.