Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
cleaning a split screen - possible?

G'day guys

got the black mark from the split screen i received and installed it.. all good and quick. however in the process of removing the black mark i got some fairly persistent dust on it, i have removed it several times and tried cleaning it (including with low tack sticky tape as suggested by jinfinance) and still have dust and specs

im assuming static is playing a part here!

any solutions that can be suggested?

Thanks

Steve

04-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 5teve Quote
G'day guys

got the black mark from the split screen i received and installed it.. all good and quick. however in the process of removing the black mark i got some fairly persistent dust on it, i have removed it several times and tried cleaning it (including with low tack sticky tape as suggested by jinfinance) and still have dust and specs

im assuming static is playing a part here!

any solutions that can be suggested?

Thanks

Steve
To avoid static, try taking the rig into your bathroom, closing the door and running some hot water into the tub to get the humidity up while you install the screen.
04-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

The solution is a sink of warm water with some dish detergent in it. Gently scrub (GENTLY) the screen with wet soapy fingers.
Rinse it well in a couple of changes of fresh water and finish with a couple of rinses in distilled (real distilled) water.
Put it aside to dry, perhaps propped up by a couple of toothpicks on a paper towel under a drinking glass to keep more dust from ahhering to it.
Give it and the bottom of the prism a quick dusting with a blower before reinstalling it.
And realize that unless you have a cleanroom to work in, you are going to have a few specks of dust on the screen.