Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Does the monopod then slap against you with every step?
Yes it slaps. With the monopod centered on my side I can minimize the slapping, but it can get to thumping depending on the speed you are walking. Direction changes are going to slap. Having my left hand on the top of it is my only control when walking for distance.

Thank you
Russell

04-24-2009, 03:02 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What do you mean pretend .....
04-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Yes it slaps. With the monopod centered on my side I can minimize the slapping, but it can get to thumping depending on the speed you are walking. Direction changes are going to slap. Having my left hand on the top of it is my only control when walking for distance.

Thank you
Russell
Ummmm..... maybe stick a magnet down your sock?
04-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #19
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
So, Gary, what about the 5 pounds of camera bag? The monopod is nothing. :-)
Carrying it on your belt would make a an imperceptible change in your walking, over time this will have an effect.
Carrying a bag on your shoulder or back is different, your body tells you when it is tired and you either rest or adjust the weight.
The same kind of problem can occur simply because you carry your wallet around in your back pocket. Driving your car like that will hurt your back over time.

04-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
...The same kind of problem can occur simply because you carry your wallet around in your back pocket. Driving your car like that will hurt your back over time.
That's why we all spend so much time on this forum, it helps to keep that wallet flat & thin

I agree with the backpack method though.
04-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Carrying it on your belt would make a an imperceptible change in your walking, over time this will have an effect.
What is the difference between carrying a monopod on your hip and a; holstered pistol, flashlight, janitor's keys, canteen, whatever else people have been packing on their hips for millennial? How about all those camera belt systems, LowePro, ThinkTank, ...

I suppose I should give up cargo pants/shorts too? OK, fashion aside.

Thank you
Russell
04-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
What is the difference between carrying a monopod on your hip and a; holstered pistol, flashlight, janitor's keys, canteen, whatever else people have been packing on their hips for millennial? How about all those camera belt systems, LowePro, ThinkTank, ...

I suppose I should give up cargo pants/shorts too? OK, fashion aside.

Thank you
Russell
If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?

(Hey, it's not often I get to use that line...)

Gary's got a point - anything that affects your posture can cause real back problems down the road.

04-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Gary's got a point - anything that affects your posture can cause real back problems down the road.
If you are carrying anything, then it is going to effect your posture. Put it in your hand, put it on your back, put it wherever you think it will fit, if is on or attached to your body, its going to have an effect.

I think I'll worry more about getting swine flu than this.

Thank you
Russell
04-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I agree with Russell, anything besides our body will affect our posture somehow.
It all depends on how long we carry. The longer the worse the impact to our body.

So, does anybody care to post picture of himself/herself carrying their monopod in unique way?
It will be fun to see.
Anyway this is a photography forum, right?
04-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I put my monopod on the side of my Slingbag 200 AW. It slides right into the loop on the right side of the bag. Nice and out of the way, and always handy.
04-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #26

I have a 25yr old Monopod, I carry it upside down on the exterior of my photo backpack which has two straps on each side, I trap the monopod inside the straps with one of the upper backpack straps fed through the monopod strap, so it doesn't go anywhere....
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #27
Damn Brit

I guess I was just unlucky then.
04-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I was just unlucky then.
What were you carrying on your hip, and how long did you carry it there? Was this the only cause of the issue with your back?

Thank you
Russell
04-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
So, does anybody care to post picture of himself/herself carrying their monopod in unique way?
A side pocket addition to the LowePro AW 200 Sling Shot.

Thank you
Russell
04-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, ...I don't think, if you're carrying a monopod anyway, that having it hanging as far off your center of gravity as possible by using bag straps is necesarily the way.

When I was younger I had an improvised belt-clip that'd let me carry things to the shoot, and the monopod would usually be either on a camera or cached away somewhere for the duration.

I did used to carry a Maglite for nocturnal scavenging expeditions, and found it actually most comfortable to hang it from one of those plastic loops I mentioned before (not like the clips someone showed) usually right from the small of the back... that was the least uncomfortable to walk with, and it was accessible to me from either side. (Now you can get these little 'Dana Scully' jobbies with the little lithium batteries. I usually carry one of those, now cause I seem to have a habit of using round black objects in dim places. )

Probably a matter of trial and error to find what's comfortable. The little setup I'm (not actually really much, yet, at least,) using now is mostly just to keep my hands free so I can get the monopod *to* a place I might want to use it. I've carried a shoulder bag of one kind or another on the same shoulder for an awful lot of my life, so, wouldn't be surprised if my back took a set, anyway.