Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Carrying a monopod when not in use.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I haven't seen a monopod without a strap, so I'm going to assume it is a universal feature. The mount the strap is attached to can be used with the clip below to attach the collapsed monopod to your belt. The clip measures about 1/2 inch wide by 3 inches long.

My self supporting monopod with head weighs 2 pound 12 ounces. With the clip attached to my belt the monopod hangs straight down my leg. I can use the hook by leaving the clip on my belt when taking the monopod off or take the monopod with clip off my belt. In a pinch, you can clip it to your pants pocket instead, although I've only tried this on a pair of jeans.

I find leaving the clip on my belt works better for me as it is a one handed operation to get the monopod on and off the hook, but two a two handed operation to get the clip and monopod on my belt. I use my thumb to pull the strap up and out of the way and then use the thumb to guide the strap mount on to the hook. After a little practice, I could do this without looking.

$2.00 + shipping for three clips. Shipping was $2.50 for me.
ebay.com

Thank you
Russell

04-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That seems like a decent accessory, but I just feed the strap up between my belt and pants and loop it over the monopod head. Takes a little more work, though.
04-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
That seems like a decent accessory, but I just feed the strap up between my belt and pants and loop it over the monopod head. Takes a little more work, though.
I have dunlaps disease so this won't work for me.

Thank you
Russell
04-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neat. I have a monopod I just picked up with kind of an unusual bail on it that I'm hoping will work nicely with this belt clip that's meant for such things as key-rings. (I only just found this thing yesterday and haven't actually tried it.

If you have a monopodwith a bigger camera/head platform on it, you could probably use one of the belt-hoops such as police use to hold Maglites or batons, too.

04-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I haven't seen a monopod without a strap, so I'm going to assume it is a universal feature. The mount the strap is attached to can be used with the clip below to attach the collapsed monopod to your belt. The clip measures about 1/2 inch wide by 3 inches long.

My self supporting monopod with head weighs 2 pound 12 ounces. With the clip attached to my belt the monopod hangs straight down my leg. I can use the hook by leaving the clip on my belt when taking the monopod off or take the monopod with clip off my belt. In a pinch, you can clip it to your pants pocket instead, although I've only tried this on a pair of jeans.

I find leaving the clip on my belt works better for me as it is a one handed operation to get the monopod on and off the hook, but two a two handed operation to get the clip and monopod on my belt. I use my thumb to pull the strap up and out of the way and then use the thumb to guide the strap mount on to the hook. After a little practice, I could do this without looking.

Thank you
Russell
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

I don't want to sound like your mother here guys but carrying something that weighs a pound or two like that isn't good for you. This is coming from a person with a torn disc caused by walking around with unevenly distributed weight. It ain't no fun.
04-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Neat. I have a monopod I just picked up with kind of an unusual bail on it that I'm hoping will work nicely with this belt clip that's meant for such things as key-rings. (I only just found this thing yesterday and haven't actually tried it.

If you have a monopodwith a bigger camera/head platform on it, you could probably use one of the belt-hoops such as police use to hold Maglites or batons, too.
I tied a loop with the clip and found just using the clip was easier. A loop requires two hands, first you have to get the monopod into the loop, and then there are enough ridges on the leg locks and foam pad to snag, that you pretty much have to use two hands all the way through. Flash lights and batons are pretty smooth along the shaft, so once started slip into place.

You might be able to rig up a Maglite clip in some way.

Thank you
Russell
04-23-2009, 04:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've known a few women with Furniture Disease. I wonder if that affects their photography.

04-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

These are known as "banker's clips". You can get them in 3-packs at most any office supply store for a couple bucks.
04-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I've known a few women with Furniture Disease. I wonder if that affects their photography.
My photography is certainly exacerbating my Lack Of Furniture Disease?

I guess the maglite loop idea *wouldn't* be very good for monopods with a lot of bumps and catches on them, come to think of it: I was imagining the kind with the twist-locks for that suggestion. (My monopod's also not so heavy as all that, come to think of it: it's a fairly cheap one I Ebayed for the purpose of trying out the belt-carry concept around town, and to see how much it actually gets used that way. )
04-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thank you
Russell
Me too.

Maybe if I stuffed the monopod down the back of my shirt, it would improve my posture...
04-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
These are known as "banker's clips". You can get them in 3-packs at most any office supply store for a couple bucks.
I didn't know about Banker's clasps, so searched. The only type I can find are a single loop, not a S. Is there a S type clasp?

Thank you
Russell
04-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I didn't know about Banker's clasps, so searched. The only type I can find are a single loop, not a S. Is there a S type clasp?
You're right - my mistake. I used to bend one side of a banker's clasp to use as a film-drying clip - your original picture looked just like one. I forgot that I 'modified' them myself...
04-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I don't want to sound like your mother here guys but carrying something that weighs a pound or two like that isn't good for you. This is coming from a person with a torn disc caused by walking around with unevenly distributed weight. It ain't no fun.
So, Gary, what about the 5 pounds of camera bag? The monopod is nothing. :-)
04-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Does the monopod then slap against you with every step?
04-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Does the monopod then slap against you with every step?
Yeah, but you can pretend to be a Jedi Knight.