Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I do hope you dont look like this guy on the golf course Camera Equipment Review
That's fantastically dorky .

I will defend the gear-vest concept though, I worked as a ski patroller for six winters, and wore a vest stuffed with about 10 lbs (4.5 kg) of medical and rope rescue gear, and it carried so nicely you'd hardly know you had it on (in fact, skiing without it on my days off always felt weird - so light).

04-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

A modular belt, with or without a chest harness, system would also be an option. On a hot day it would definitely be "cooler". The bonus of this being that you can customize the pockets to your equipment carried. This would also put the weight more on the hips and less on the shoulders.

Thank you
Russell
04-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do hope you dont look like this guy on the golf course Camera Equipment Review
No mine is more of a denim with velvet lapels made from an old cut up "Camaro Rules" jean jacket. It's a little small on me now but I look pretty sharp in it at the roller skating rink when I wear my old side by side truck skates.
04-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
Ole
Administrator

Where?

I think a photo vest is very convenient, but not in Phoenix, Arizona - it is simply too warm to wear so I sold mine!

04-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a magician's coat with interior pockets? Nah, a tuxedo always looks funny on the golf course.

A vest is a great way to carry gear, but really does make a statement noticeable above the noise of plaid pants and white shoes.

There are lightweight vests that can fit under a fleece outer jacket perhaps? Just make sure the pockets are very large. Your 200/2.8 and 300/4 won't fit in many of the less silly looking vests. Having to stop and open a pack and dig out and/or restow gear while the gallery moves past you can be problematic in its own way.

I happen to own the silly looking Vested Interest product in the posted link. It is by far the best HIKING vest available on the market--with mesh, padded shoulders, heavyweight fabric etc. But I must admit that I won't wear it in public. And even when I'm afield, I can't help but think that even the dorky looking moose are probably laughing at me and putting "dick" stickers on my back! Ever heard a moose giggle? It ain't pleasant!

Have fun at the golf tourney, and try to stay away from the beverage cart!
04-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #21

If cost is a secondary concern, check out SCOTTEVEST/SeV - Travel Apparel and iPod Clothing Solutions, Buy Jackets, Vests, Windbreakers, Hoodies, Pullovers, Pocket Shirts, Cargo Pants

They're considered the height of "Geek Chic"...
04-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

Forget the photo vest:

Photo UNDERWEAR!

And every time you have to grab a different lens, it feels GREAT!!!

04-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
That's fantastically dorky .

I will defend the gear-vest concept though, I worked as a ski patroller for six winters, and wore a vest stuffed with about 10 lbs (4.5 kg) of medical and rope rescue gear, and it carried so nicely you'd hardly know you had it on (in fact, skiing without it on my days off always felt weird - so light).
You were saving lives, though.

Not shooting butterflies.
04-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I just read the rules and there are no back packs allowed in the tounament, including camera bags. This could get tricky. I was thinking I may have to take the DA35LTD on the body and the DA*50-135mm in its bag and the DA*300mm on the monopod if I can't bring in a back pack. I wonder if I can get in with the Pentax Sling. If not, a vest may be in order, or the dreaded cargo shorts, good grief.
04-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Are you shooting in a semi-official capacity? If so, the rules may not apply to you, and just meant to keep plebe's like me from bringing all our gear and PB&Js etc... I know nothing about golf, but I know that in my field, often the normal rules don't apply to me because of what I'm doing. On the other hand, maybe they apply specifically to you .

I can picture carrying the *300 on the monopod, but I can't see carrying the 50-135 around all day in it's little soft case - do you have a different case for it? Maybe something like a lens case attached to your belt?
04-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #26
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Well I just read the rules and there are no back packs allowed in the tounament, including camera bags. This could get tricky. I was thinking I may have to take the DA35LTD on the body and the DA*50-135mm in its bag and the DA*300mm on the monopod if I can't bring in a back pack. I wonder if I can get in with the Pentax Sling. If not, a vest may be in order, or the dreaded cargo shorts, good grief.
Regardless of how they look mate, they do the job. I got one from REI (they call them guide jackets) and it's pretty lightweight. Regarding the heat, I saw one in a fishing shop and apart from the pockets, it was mostly made of mesh which would help with the cooling.
04-25-2009, 04:36 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Russel recommended a modular belt system and this, what I would use for this occasion, too. A photo vest can be nice (I have a Billingham), but is sure too warm. Its easy to attach lens bags, even big enough for the 300/4 to the belt and its also very easy to move around with a belt.

Ben
04-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am shooting under no official capacity at all, I am volunteering so I have an all access pass, that is about it. It looks like I am only going to be able to get down there for the Pro-Am on Weds. as my week is just crammed with stuff to do. I ran into a photographer there and he had a Think Tank system on, I really liked that. I may invest in one of those down the road. But I think I will just be taking either the DA*16-50mm or the DA35LTD and the DA*300mm.
04-29-2009, 07:23 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by Venturi View Post

Don't shave from now until the tournament ends; arrive at the course with "bed head" and sleep in the pants you wear for the day; wear yellow tinted aviator shades. Nobody will notice the vest.

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Ahh, the "Hunter S. Thompson" look .
exactly what i was thinking
04-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Man, if I had one of those, I would not ever have to check my luggage when I travel.