Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I had the money I would buy a Billingham vest, they look good and seem very well designed:

M Billingham and Co Photovest

05-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Get a fishermans vest, they're cheaper.
+1

no, make that +2

I have a light-weight fisherman's vest I bought for use when I don't want to lug around my backpack.

But I don't use it much because it's geeky and a cliche.
05-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

My wife bought me this one for Xmas. She thinks regular photo vests look silly. It's nice, and looks mainstream enough to not be too dorky.

Columbia Sportswear: Men's > Jackets > Omni-DryŽ Venture? Vest

Todd

edit: of course, since it's not a REAL photo vest, you can't keep a vast amount of gear. The biggest lenses I have are the DA 12-24 and 55-300...plus three Ltds.

Last edited by gnaztee; 05-01-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added
05-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
If I had the money I would buy a Billingham vest, they look good and seem very well designed:

M Billingham and Co Photovest
That's what I have, but the older modell, made of real Ventile, not the current microfibre. But it is very warm and certainly not wearable in a warm and humid climate. But its build to last and has really large pockets, which are partially padded, just like lens bags. It even has integrated shoulder polster to support a heavy shoulder bag...

Ben

05-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I don't have one but have seen the Domke vests in person. They are well constructed not heavy at all with nice mesh ventilation in the front and the back.

They are not to expensive retailing for around $65 to $75 depending on the size.

Domke PhoTOGS Vest Large
05-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still poking around at stuff like this, I was wondering if anyone knows who out there might make the best safari type vests/jackets in terms of being good at protecting against the sun (It's miserable, sometimes, but I have to cover up) ...Something opaque and well-vented seems the ticket. Not looking too frumpy wouldn't hurt, either, but what can we do.

I mostly just need a couple of decent sized pockets among em, but it doesn't have to be specifically-photographic: I'd like to carry a decent sized Minolta Flashmeter IV a lot, maybe drop the occasional extra lens or 120 magazine in there. Otherwise, just random stuff.

Thought I might check out some outdoors stores sometime. I believe there's a few around.
05-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #37
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'm still poking around at stuff like this, I was wondering if anyone knows who out there might make the best safari type vests/jackets in terms of being good at protecting against the sun (It's miserable, sometimes, but I have to cover up) ...Something opaque and well-vented seems the ticket. Not looking too frumpy wouldn't hurt, either, but what can we do.

I mostly just need a couple of decent sized pockets among em, but it doesn't have to be specifically-photographic: I'd like to carry a decent sized Minolta Flashmeter IV a lot, maybe drop the occasional extra lens or 120 magazine in there. Otherwise, just random stuff.

Thought I might check out some outdoors stores sometime. I believe there's a few around.
Check out Patagonia or REI, they usually carry a range of UV protective gear. They'll probably call them guide vests.

05-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #38
Veteran Member

RML

Here is a stylish one from a company called Ex Officio. It should retail less than from their site.
05-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This one is on the expensive end, but Filson make truly bomb-proof garments. This fabric (cotton poplin - they call it Safari Cloth) is actually fairly cool in hot weather.

Filson Bush Jacket
05-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #40
Veteran Member

This one is reasonably priced for men form Ex Officio.
05-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #41
Veteran Member

The suggestions are appreciated. I can get away with some mens' sizes, though with vests, there can be kind of compatibility issues up front if they're cut certain ways. Sometimes I'll just wear like a big dude's shirt and like an army vest. Really loose-fitting can do OK, even if it's probably beyond frumpy.

I'll definitely have to go looking. My wardrobe's really suffered after a few years of trying to get a bit of photoeyness online, anyway, never mind all these really inconvenient other requirements, (when it's hot, anyway.) But, finally, it's starting to look like long skirts that aren't hopelessly translucent are appearing out there. Must trace back to source anyway.

I've been kind of hoping UV-protecting fabric's improved since I last kind of wasted a bunch of money on it. I ordered some of this 'Solumbra' stuff a number of years ago: didn't really live up to expectations, kind of flimsy and plastickey and hot, and didn't really seem that effective or comfortable compared to just layering up a bit.
05-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #42
Damn Brit

All you need to do is get a shirt that is UV protected then the fabric of the jacket doesn't matter.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
The suggestions are appreciated. I can get away with some mens' sizes, though with vests, there can be kind of compatibility issues up front if they're cut certain ways. Sometimes I'll just wear like a big dude's shirt and like an army vest. Really loose-fitting can do OK, even if it's probably beyond frumpy.

I'll definitely have to go looking. My wardrobe's really suffered after a few years of trying to get a bit of photoeyness online, anyway, never mind all these really inconvenient other requirements, (when it's hot, anyway.) But, finally, it's starting to look like long skirts that aren't hopelessly translucent are appearing out there. Must trace back to source anyway.

I've been kind of hoping UV-protecting fabric's improved since I last kind of wasted a bunch of money on it. I ordered some of this 'Solumbra' stuff a number of years ago: didn't really live up to expectations, kind of flimsy and plastickey and hot, and didn't really seem that effective or comfortable compared to just layering up a bit.
05-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
All you need to do is get a shirt that is UV protected then the fabric of the jacket doesn't matter.
The only problem there is that's really an equation for getting very hot. That stuff (last I tried anyway) doesn't breathe well, and a jacket over it really makes any venting moot. (I always thought it would make a nice lining for something, strategically-placed in a linen blazer or something. A vest over a shirt of the stuff isn't *too* bad, though. Since my endurance isn't too great, it's rarely like I'm spending a day in the noonday sun (I have a big hat for that, which it's kind of comical to watch me try and shoot verticals or with a WLF while wearing, but it works. )

A nice, reasonably-opaque safari jacket could be OK, I can just wear that over a short-sleeved top and be all right. Not to divert the thread, too much.
05-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Ratmagiclady, I'll reiterate my support for the Columbia Sportswear vest my wife bought me and I listed earlier in this thread. It has UV protection, isn't as bulky as a PHOTO vest, but still capable, and Columbia is generally as good as Ex Officio with a lower price tag.
05-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Ratmagiclady, I'll reiterate my support for the Columbia Sportswear vest my wife bought me and I listed earlier in this thread. It has UV protection, isn't as bulky as a PHOTO vest, but still capable, and Columbia is generally as good as Ex Officio with a lower price tag.
Saw that one, though I kind of ruled it out cause it looks to be more for the high altitudes and the wet and such: nylon and all: my problem's mostly about having pockets in the heat. Awesome solar stuff, though, that'd work for high altitude. I've been looking at their solar-protecting stuff, not seeing much for gals there, (but usually that just means 'If you don't want it shapeless, I hope you shoot rangefinders, cause the pockets are teeny.' )

I've been looking at their stuff for other layers, if it's better than what I had eight or nine years ago, it could be of use.