Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 02:25 AM   #1

AF xx0FGZ Wireless Master & Slave

The manuals for these two flashes seems to endlessly repeat some of the more elementary stuff but has very little to say on some of the more technical details. Maybe I'm too dense but for the life of me can't seem to find out why in Wireless mode (Master & Slave) there is the 1/1, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3 settings PLUS... EV compensation -3 to +1 If the 1/1...1/3 are ratios, what are the details of their use? Which flash does each affect and which way? If they are just power reductions for that particular flash then what is the necessity of it on top of the -3 to +1 EV compensation? (I really wish it was -3 to +3 BTW but, oh well).

In fact it is the quest for an answer to the above question that led me this forum!

Packrat

Last edited by Packrat; 04-24-2009 at 05:39 AM.
04-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In P-TTL you can do a mode called contrast control. In this mode the camera will control (lets say 2) the power out of the flash units so you can have some shadows and not a flat looking photo. So the settings are power ratios. For example if you set one flash to 1/3 and the other to 2/3 the side set to 1/3 will be darker then the 2/3 side. The compensation is for the over all setting but the ratios should stay the same. You could in theory do the same in manual but with P-TTL if any thing changes (distant to camera or flash, over all light ect) the system should try to compensate faster the you could manually change the settings. Some things lead P-TTL to change that you may not like. All you may care about is the pretty girl in front of the camera but if you move anything the camera may come up with a different P-TTL solution and make changes. If changes are going to happen anyway because things are moving this is probably better then trying to keep up in manual. Just be aware that each exposure may look a little different some times.

DAZ
04-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Packrat Quote
The manuals for these two flashes seems to endlessly repeat some of the more elementary stuff but has very little to say on some of the more technical details. Maybe I'm too dense but for the life of me can't seem to find out why in Wireless mode (Master & Slave) there is the 1/1, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3 settings PLUS... EV compensation -3 to +1 If the 1/1...1/3 are ratios, what are the details of their use? Which flash does each affect and which way? If they are just power reductions for that particular flash then what is the necessity of it on top of the -3 to +1 EV compensation? (I really wish it was -3 to +3 BTW but, oh well).

In fact it is the quest for an answer to the above question that led me this forum!

Packrat
The 1/1 etc are only effective in full manual mode. They are power settings. You may not want full power for a couple of reasons, such as you are too close and the lens won't stop down enough, or you want to contrast control using manual settings and a meter. Check strobist.com for more info.

If you are in p-TTL, then the EV modes allow you to use one of the external flashes for fill and the other for main lights. I have the AF540FGZ, and have tried the various settings. I got good results using the built in flash at -1 for fill while leaving the 540 at 0.0 compensation.

I agree the manual leaves a lot to be desired!
04-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
The 1/1...1/3 settings show up in P-ttl mode when set to wireless, both Master & Slave.

Packrat

04-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Packrat Quote
The 1/1...1/3 settings show up in P-ttl mode when set to wireless, both Master & Slave.

Packrat
I'll have to have another look at this. Maybe you can set the power down to get better recycle times?????? not likely. Maybe they just show up. First to find the answer posts it here!
04-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
That sounds good to me!

Packrat
05-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
Owners Manuals

It sure would be nice if Pentax would publish some detailed & acurate info on these features. I also have a 360 & 540. If I remember right the last time I did some checking I had the 540 on camera (Master) & 360 on stand w/white shoot thru (Slave) set at: 0.0 1/1. I then tried setting the 540 (Master) to: 0.0 1/3 and it seemed to bring the total exposure down. This doesn't quite make sense to me. It made me think if that is what it is doing then why have the 1/1, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3 settings when in (Slave) mode?

Anyone with more details please speak up!

Packrat

Last edited by Packrat; 05-19-2009 at 11:09 AM.
05-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #8

Original Poster
Even though I have had pretty good luck with these two units, I still wish someone could come up with the answer to this question. If nothing more than "just for the record".

Packrat

P.S. I also wish the AF 360FGZ had a swivel head!
05-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #9

According to page 59 of the 360 manual, the 1/1-1/2...etc. are designated as "flash amount adjustment" in wireless mode. I think that means manual flash compensation in wireless pttl because in full manual there is more adjustments available.
I typically use my 360 in slave2 mode and let it trigger off my other flashes optically.
05-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
I am aware of what the manual says . The chart you refer to doesn't give any detail as to why this and EV compensation are both necessary. Nether does it tell if or how they might interact with each other! As noted above this is in wireless mode as slave or master.

Packrat