Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Side pocket modification for the LowePro AW 200 Sling

Empty quiver on the bag in the folded position.

With monopod in the quiver.

Sling with quiver removed to show velcro, nylon web mounts, and velcro tie downs.

Quiver off the bag, showing the flap.

Showing velcro on the quiver.

Male and Female velcro back to back on the flap.

The $10 nylon quiver I bought at a sporting goods store. I cut the straps on it and used them for the mountings for the velcro ties. The 22 inch velcro ties were about $5 for three ties at a True Value Hardware store, I haven't seen them anywhere else. The rest of the mount is 2 inch wide sticky back velco, $9 for four feet of the male and female loops. The only other thing needed was a hot glue gun with hot glue, and a little gorilla glue.

I hot glued the nylon straps to the bag to make the mount points for the velcro ties. I applied the sticky velcro and it held, but I figured I might as well hot glue it on as well. I used the softer female on the bag.

The velcro on the quiver is about four inches of the male from the top then where the male ends, to almost the bottom of the quiver, is female velcro, about 13 inches. The middle part is actually a 16 inch male strip, with a four inch female and 12 inch male strip back to back. This forms the flap that is attached to the side mount on the AW 200 Sling.

I hot glued the velco to the quiver and where the female velcro meets the male velcro of the flap I used a stripe of hot glue down the middle. I did apply a little Gorilla Glue to the end to this male female velcro met as well.

The flap is a inserted in the Sling's side mount. When the flap is folded over on itself, the female portion of it meets the male portion on the quiver and locks the quiver down. The top of the flap is male and it locks with the female velcro on the AW 200 Sling. The top male velcro portion of the quiver locked into the female portion above the Sling's side mount .

When not in use, the female velcro that was taken to the bottom of the quiver, can be folded under the flap for compact storage.

Since I added a second strap to my bag, there isn't an issue with the added weight of the monopod on the bag. I can also carry my 8 pound tripod and head in the quiver, as well (not with the monopod together). It seems workable for the shorter distances I have done. I haven't carried the tripod like this all day however.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 04-28-2009 at 01:05 PM.
04-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice idea! I've been thinking of a good way to carry a tripod on the same bag and came up with something, though not half as nice. Your solution is quite elegant - mine ended up being a cut-up milk carton and some velcro tape that has the hooks on one side and the soft side on the other. I really like your idea of using the broad velcro soft side attached to the bag itself. And yes, I did find the extra weight of the tripod fairly significant for a single cross-shoulder strap. Got me thinking about a Kata 3N1, but perhaps adding the strap like you did would be better. Thanks for the ideas!