Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Without knowing ceiling heights in the venue, recommending bounce to a noob can be a very dangerous thing to do. You get into a church with a 24 foot ceiling height and see how effective your bounce flash is...

You are absolutely right!

05-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TYOsborn Quote
You were right. There are only two local camera shops. One never has carried Pentax and the other just quit. No luck renting for me. I have been shooting RAW, but recently switched to jpeg because I was finding my HD filling up with pics I hadn't converted so thought I'd try jpeg to see if it made that big of a difference. I was actually pondering whether or not to shoot raw or jpeg. I guess I'm going to have to check out next day shipping with Amazon or the likes.
I shoot RAW plus JPEG on the important shoots with tricky lighting, and JPEGs for every thing else.

Just know the lighting for a particular situation and set the WB to that.

I also look at the shots between important shoots; like when everyone is eating, and adjust accordingly.

Is this called 'CHIMPING"?
05-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I'm not sure I understand this as you mean it. Any pics of the setup and/or elaborating on this?

PS: how about primes for wedding?

TIA
This is my wedding rig.

This is what he mentName:  Stroboframe 003.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  18.7 KB

Sorry for the blurry photo.

Stroboframe PRO RL flash bracket.

Vivitar 285 flash.

Lumniquest Promax flasy diffuser for high ceilings.

Wein safe sync

Vivitar remote senor cord.

The camera is my old ZX 60.

My K10D took the shot.
05-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
You will be just fine! Outdoor wedding are esier because the available light won't be a problem.

The problem I have is shooting indoors in low light in regards to focusing.

Need more info.

What time of day?

Any thing going on indoors?

With that I can help guide you on lenses and flash equipment.
The wedding is at 4:00 (outside). Just learned the reception starts at 5:00 (inside). Holy cow! Not much time to take pics. My camera is a Pentax K200D. Pentax 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens, Pentax DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL , Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6, and Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 as far as lenses go. I'm not planning on purchasing another lens. I ordered the AF540 flash which will be here Tuesday. It comes with a Stofen Omni Bounce f/Metz 40MZ1i/3i.

Thanks so much!

Tara

05-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #35
Veteran Member

The wedding is at 4:00 (outside). Just learned the reception starts at 5:00 (inside). Holy cow! Not much time to take pics. My camera is a Pentax K200D. Pentax 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens, Pentax DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL , Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6, and Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 as far as lenses go. I'm not planning on purchasing another lens. I ordered the AF540 flash which will be here Tuesday. It comes with a Stofen Omni Bounce f/Metz 40MZ1i/3i.

Thanks so much!

Here is my rig I use for weddingsName:  IMG_0020.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  20.6 KB
Stroboframe flash bracket.

Pentax K10D. The lens shown is a Pentax DA*16-45 f/4. I have other lenses.

Viaitar 285 Flash with wein safe sync.

Vivitar remote sensor cord.

Lumniquest Pro Max flash diffuser.

Pentax remote shutter cord.
05-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Thanks so much!

Tara

Ok. You have good lighting out doors for your 18-55 and 18-250.

Don't worry about time, just be in position and get the key shots.ie bride walking to the podium( or whatever), bride and groom to gether in front of the preacher( or Priest), exhange of rings, bride and groom kissing after the vows, bride and groom facing everyone as MR. and MRS.

The formals (will be done after the ceremony, I presume)
will be outdoors as well. Take pics of the wedding party, family members with the bride and or groom etc.

Before that, take pics of the bride and groom before the ceremony alone.

This will be done indoors.

Use bounce flash if the ceiling is low enough.

If not, use your Soffen to soften the shadows.

Take pics of the bride preparing with the final touches.

Get creative. Have her do some poses. With the flower boquet. Do closeups of her face. This is were bounce flash will help with your variale aperture zoom.

Your Tammy 70- 200 f2.8 could be ideal for indoor shots without flash for available light pics. You may have to crank up the ISO. I use 400.

Same for the groom.

At the reception, use your flash with the Pentax lenses. Make sure you have enough batterieis.

The Tammy 70-200f/2.8 could be used to take informal candits of the guest without flash.

Just keep on shooting.

Get everyone you can.

Cutting of the cake.

Them eating the cake.

Close shot of their rings on thier fingers together. Her hand on top of his.

Once you get the flow, you will know what to shoot next.

At down times, chack your camera for ramaining pics left.

Delete shots that are not up to par to make room on your cards.

I bought an 8gb card at Wallymart for $30.

Good luck!

Happy shooting!

Ask if you have more questions.

I did my couisin's wedding outdoors last year and it is still fresh in my memory.
05-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to toss a little cold water onto what has turned into a love in.
Wedding photography is not easy. It is fast paced, hectic, generally high maintenance, and you don't get a second chance with it.
At least that's how the thousand or so that I've shot have been.
Outdoor light can, and may very well be, murder. If the sun is in the wrong position you are hooped. If it's windy, you are hooped. If it rains, you are hooped.
If something can go wrong, it will. If it can go wrong again, it'll do that too.

Don't walk into this thinking it's just another walk in the park. Even if it's taking place in a park, it's not just another walk.
Try not to implode too badly.

05-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
They will bow down or not get the pics!
LOL. If the guests figure out that you're a relative being paid nothing for the pics, it'll be like herding cats
05-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I'll reiterate that discussing expectations is very important here. If the bride and groom are expecting pro-wedding-photo photos, make it clear that they are not going to get them without a pro wedding photographer. That may be okay, because — no offense at all intended to Wheatfield and all you other pro wedding photographers — that's not what everyone wants. I would have even been understanding if something horrible went wrong and all we got was shots from the disposable cameras we gave out to guests (which almost universally came back awful, by the way).

But if the pro wedding look is what they're looking for, look out.
05-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #40

Original Poster
My niece and I will most definitely have that conversation tomorrow. I'm not a pro though I hope to give her excellent pics, but she should not expect them.
05-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #41
Veteran Member

My niece and I will most definitely have that conversation tomorrow. I'm not a pro though I hope to give her excellent pics, but she should not expect them.
You can deliver professional quality without being a professional.

The biggest thing is to keep calm, stay on your toes, and get ALL of the key shots.

Like Wheatfield said, it can be a hectic nightmare, but if you maintain control, check your eqiupment during down times and use some of the composure teqniques I suggested you will be just fine.

(Watch for kids too! My last wedding I missed the garter toss because some kids AND adults crossed my path. Luckily I was the secondary photographer).
05-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To summarize my experience... expect the unexpected, and if you think you're ready for that, then have a backup for that as well.

Also, no need to plan on using all your lenses. Based on your list, and if you're happy with the results you've had with them so far, I would plan on using the 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL and the Tamron 70-200 2.8. Take the other two as backups, but they will probably stay in the bag.
05-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #43

Original Poster
We had the "I'm not a professional" conversation tonight and she seems to be good with that. She obviously knew that when she asked me. I really appreciate everyone's input. It's been extremely helpful. One last thing... what settings would you use for an outside 4:00 wedding on a cloudy or maybe not so cloudy day?

Thanks again!
Tara
05-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
To summarize my experience... expect the unexpected, and if you think you're ready for that, then have a backup for that as well.

Also, no need to plan on using all your lenses. Based on your list, and if you're happy with the results you've had with them so far, I would plan on using the 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL and the Tamron 70-200 2.8. Take the other two as backups, but they will probably stay in the bag.
We had the "I'm not a professional" conversation tonight and she seems to be good with that. She obviously knew that when she asked me. I really appreciate everyone's input. It's been extremely helpful. One last thing... what settings would you use for an outside 4:00 wedding on a cloudy or maybe not so cloudy day?

Thanks again!
Tara
If you do what Frogroast suggests, and it is sunny outside, I would use ISO 100 for shots up to about 150mm with the 18-250. Anything zoomed in after that may require a higher ISO. I would try 200 or 400, but I woulld not go past 800. If it is cloudy, you may want to start at ISO 200-400. Test the different ISOs about 15-30 minutes before the cermoney starts, outdoors and see which one works for you. You want a fast enough shutter speed to prevent blur.

Even with the shake reduction turned on, you still could get blur and longer focal lenghts.

Your AF may or may not work properly at full zoom at f/6.3. Most AF sensors require f/5.6 to achieve AF. I would shoot in AV mode and one stop down from wide open, when trying to do informal portraits of your subject. This will not require a high ISO.

To get groups shots, I would start at f/8. This may require cranking up the ISO, however.

You could try stopping down to f/11 or maybe down to f/16, but you may have to crank up the ISO the lower you go. Higher ISO's increase noise, however.

Remember, generally for close up shots of your subjects shoot with a lareger aperture to blur out a distracting backgroung.

For group shots, use a smaller aperture to get more in focus.

You should not have to go past ISO 800 (400 should be ideal).

With your 70-200 f/2.8, outdoors, you should be fine with ISO 100-200.

This lens is your best choice for those close ups because of the larger apeture than your 18-250 which would yield a better "bokeh" ( the out of focused back ground). You can shoot wide open, or one stop down, and use a lower ISO, because of the lareger apeture.

AF perfomance should be at its maximum with this lens out doors.
05-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thanks again!
Tara
How much time do you have, again? One nice thing about digital is that it can expedite practice, and you've got the stuff you'll use in hand.

As for the use of flash, well, You're talking to someone who last shot a wedding with one of those 285 and bounce card type setups, so I don't know just what the new automation can do. But it seems like it works pretty well from what I've seen.

The general trick with outdoor fill, in my book, is not to overdo it. You just want enough to ease away the shadows on your subjects and put an edge on it. When you use fill flash, essentially, two exposures are happening, one within the other. An ambient one, much longer, relatively-speaking, which is the exposure from all the light around you, on your subject, and a much shorter 'flash' of much brighter, added on top.

This is the kind of situation where people treasure fast-synch, but what you have should do, it may just mean stopping down a bit more. Or the camera doing so. Grab some people, and get familiar with what'll happen under similar conditions.

As intensity levels of wedding photography go, don't let anyone scare you overly. Whatever it is, you're already in it. If you're one of those nervous types who's great in a crisis, you'll do fine if you save some energy. If you're the calm type that gets overwhelmed, stressing unduly probably won't help you. Either way, get confident with the techniques you think you can manage, and you bring what you have to the field. That's gonna be your best.