Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TYOsborn Quote
Here's a few... been soooo busy this week I haven't had much time to convert them from raw to jpg.

Hmm... these look MUCH sharper on my computer. The bride and groom are extremely happy with what I've showed them so far. Good thing they weren't expecting much huh?

Thanks again for everyone's help!
I think you did a fine job and far exeeded YOUR expectations.

Great creativity on the ring shot.

You got low for the children.

Welcome to the club!

People complain their pics look different on this forum.

Something about the way the site compresses.

05-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #92

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
I think you did a fine job and far exeeded YOUR expectations.

Great creativity on the ring shot.

You got low for the children.

Welcome to the club!

People complain their pics look different on this forum.

Something about the way the site compresses.
Thanks! I did surprise myself. It was alot of fun, but a lot of work at the same time. (I still need to learn how to use that flash better as well as the settings on the camera) I'm going to post a few more in pics in the photo part so not to clutter up this forum with pics. There is one particular pic that I wanted to turn out much better than it did... Maybe you can tell me what to do right next time I wanted a silhouette pic of her so I had her get sit in front of the window with some sheer shades. This is what I came up with some PP work.

I wish I had more time than I was allowed because I was getting into posing her. hehe
05-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Imho the edit is a tad oversharpened though. The contrast and exposure does look better. The shots are looking good so far. Good job! =)
05-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Thanks! I did surprise myself. It was alot of fun, but a lot of work at the same time. (I still need to learn how to use that flash better as well as the settings on the camera) I'm going to post a few more in pics in the photo part so not to clutter up this forum with pics. There is one particular pic that I wanted to turn out much better than it did... Maybe you can tell me what to do right next time I wanted a silhouette pic of her so I had her get sit in front of the window with some sheer shades. This is what I came up with some PP work.

I wish I had more time than I was allowed because I was getting into posing her. hehe
there is nothing to silhouette in that shot - you should have just done it as a backlight shot. A silhouette needs a profile which you don't have here - so it just looks severely under-exposed. A good silhouette needs to portray action without texture.

Obviously the recovery capabilities from that tiny jpg you posted are pretty limiting (looks like a high-ISO shot too) but I think it would have been much better like this with a blown-out background.

Silhouettes are easy to take technically as long as you make sure the image has not been blown out you can crank the curves to force it to where you want it. The trick with a silhouette is to have the detail in the profile

05-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Thanks for everyone's comments. It's my niece's wedding and I will be the only shooter. It's the "they won't have one if I don't" deal. I do realize the conflict it could cause, but I'm sure they realize I'm not a professional and hopefully don't expect the pics to be as such, but I, of course, hope they will be. So with that being said, I need to get a 16-50/2.8 and an AF540?

Thanks again and all that pray... say a prayer for me!

God bless Mommy, God bless Daddy, and God bless TYOsborn..." Great shots!
05-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #96
Veteran Member

To get a sillhouette shot you should have had the camera expose with a faster shutter speed; meter the window, lock exposure, compose her and fire.

Look at the shot in your LCD and adjust as necessary. They are pretty easy to do.

A slower shutter speed would bring detail into her face which s not as bright as the window.

Practice with a still subject;

place it next to a bright light source and meter that source then lock exposure.

Recompose your subject as you want it to look silhouetted, then fire the shutter.

Adjust as necessary ie; a slower or faster shutter speed.

You will get the hang of it and may not have to lock esposure.

You can set the camera to lock AE with AF.

Then you would just press halfway at your light source point at your subject and fire.

Focus is not critical cause you are trying to get a silhouette.

This is great for the fast action at weddings.

A good shot is to have the couple kiss in front of a setting sun.

You meter the sun, compose and shoot.

You could also bracket these shots if your time with the couple is limited.

Last edited by res3567; 05-15-2009 at 08:21 PM.
05-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #97
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try using the green button for silhouettes. Set the camera to manual mode, fill your frame with the sky or window behind your subject, and hit the green button. It's really that easy.

Also, for a good silhouette, you need to be able to see the profile. Turn the person to the side, and you'll actually be able to see features. Pictures of a person facing you won't make interesting silhouettes.

Looks like you did pretty well for your first wedding!

05-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #98

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by walro Quote
Try using the green button for silhouettes. Set the camera to manual mode, fill your frame with the sky or window behind your subject, and hit the green button. It's really that easy.

Also, for a good silhouette, you need to be able to see the profile. Turn the person to the side, and you'll actually be able to see features. Pictures of a person facing you won't make interesting silhouettes.

Looks like you did pretty well for your first wedding!
Thanks! I will try that at home with not so rushed situations.
05-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #99
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TYOsborn, One of my silhouettes is on my slideshow, if you're interested. The trick if you're doing them outside is to get really low (preferably below the people) and shoot up. Also, you have to make sure your horizon is clear, that there's nothing directly behind people.
05-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Either method can be used Tara. Just pick out the one that suits you best.

But practice and refine your technique so you can fire at will.

You will be amazed!