Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Look seriously at this if you like the Gitzo.
FEISOL CT-3441SB with CB-30C Ball Head, Center Column, QP-144750 Plate and a Tri
The Feisols really are very good kit, and probably half the cost of a Gitzo.
Not that I have anything against Gitzo, I just find them very overpriced for what they are offering.
Agree...

Gitzo GT2542L Mountaineer 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs weighs 3.1 pounds (B&H), plus Markins Q3 at 0.84 pounds for a total of 3.94 pounds (say, 4 lbs) at a cost of about $1000.

or...

Feisol Tournament CT-3342 w/short leg tip spikes, plus Markins M10 weighs in at about 3 lbs 11oz for about $650.

Cheers...

06-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Agree...

Gitzo GT2542L Mountaineer 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs weighs 3.1 pounds (B&H), plus Markins Q3 at 0.84 pounds for a total of 3.94 pounds (say, 4 lbs) at a cost of about $1000.

or...

Feisol Tournament CT-3342 w/short leg tip spikes, plus Markins M10 weighs in at about 3 lbs 11oz for about $650.

Cheers...
You can knock another chunk off that by going to the Feisol CB-50D head. A friend of mine has a Markins head, so I took the opportunity to compare. On paper the Markins is better (higher weight loading), in use there isn't much to say between them.
The Feisol head is lighter and less expensive.
This is an area where it is best to compare the two, preferably side by side to see if one is better than the other for you.
The Gitzo legs are definitely of better construction for the reason's given earlier by Creampuff, I just don't know if the better is really justified, as it's very unlikely to make any difference in real world use.

If one manages to crush a leg extension, it isn't very expensive to order a replacement part from Feisol, and I have real doubts that a Gitzo leg would stand up to any more pressure than a Feisol leg of similar diameter.
06-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I sprung for a Gitzo legset recently. After researching the Bogens Gitzos and others, I landed on Gitzo for having the best weight capacity to weight to height to price ratio for me. The tripod feels good and is sturdy as all get out. A little long for my taste collapsed, but that's what I get for that extra height. I'm 6'4". Gotta have the height.
Which one did you get? That's been my biggest problem (I'm 6'4" as well) and can't quite seem to find one with the height I like.
06-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Gitzos are re-buildable and parts as well as schematic drawings are available. I've seen Gitzos hold up very well, especially among some of my nature photography friends who shoot in muddy streams and other challenging environments. I guess the most I've subjected to with mine is shooting with the legs in salt water. Where I am, it is pretty easy to get parts replaced by the Gitzo agent if by some chance there is any damage. By their admission they rarely see damaged tripods, if they do it is mostly the smaller ones. So Gitzos are pretty bomb proof imo.

06-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I were to go for a Gitzo, I'd most likely go for the 1531 for a 3-section tripod or the 2541 for a 4-section tripod. When I was at the camera store looking at the Gitzos, I didn't look at any of the 3-section tripods, so I don't know how much more stable the 1531 would be over the 1541. I really did like the 1541, but even after mounting my current head, along with the K20 + Sigma 17-70 (my most used nature photography setup) and jiggling the legs a little, I got a little concerned and that was when the salesguy showed me the 2541. After mounting my setup onto the 2541 and jiggling the legs, I could immediately feel the improvement in the stability, which I really liked.

I also like the fact that the Gitzo has a lifetime warranty, whereas Feisol's is only for 3 years. In my research on the Feisols, I discovered that there are some complaints about various parts breaking early on. I really don't want to get out in the field and have to worry about some little part on the tripod falling apart on me and possibly ruining my shoot.

When I was on vacation in April, there was at least one time where I set up my tripod in a shallow stream and even though it's aluminum, I was a bit concerned about getting it wet. It handled that task OK, but to know that the legs are sealed would be a good thing.

Most of the tripods (both Gitzo and Feisol) that I'm looking at are tall enough for me that I can simply remove the center column and it would still be tall enough for me after adding the head and body (I'm 61.5" tall), thus lightening it a little bit.

As for my choice in head, I'm leaning towards the Photo Clam at this point--while there isn't a whole lot written about it thus far, the overall impression I've gotten from what I've read on it is that it compares quite favorably with the Markins. I'm also planning on adding the RRS L-bracket for the K20 and a universal plate that'll work with all of my cameras (K20, DS, and the ZX-M).

Anyway, that's where I stand at this point.

Heather
06-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Which one did you get? That's been my biggest problem (I'm 6'4" as well) and can't quite seem to find one with the height I like.
I settled on the Gitzo 1932 Series 1 Basalt. It was pretty much the lightest/tallest/highest weight capacity within my budget. Like I said -- a little long (especially with the Manfrotto 488RC2 I have on it) for throwing in a backpack, but far less hunching when taking photos and a LOT more stable than the Slik Sprint Pro that I used before that.
06-16-2009, 05:37 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
...to know that the legs are sealed would be a good thing.

Heather
Sounds like you've got it figured out.

May I ask how Gitzo deals with the pneumatic effect created by sealed legs? In order to overcome this effect, do you have to pull the legs out and push them in? If a vacuum is created on extending the legs, how do they stop dust intrusion from contaminated air being sucked into the mechanism during pressure equalization?

06-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I've got an ancient Gitzo Tatalux that's seen some serious abuse over the last 30 years.
It's not the lightest tripod in the world, or even the sturdiest, but it does EXACTLY what it is designed to do. There's no bulls*** with this old friend, it's never collapsed or let me down.

I've just fitted a new set of bushings in all the leg and column clamps, but considering the legs have spent a lot of time in mud, water and sand one set of bushes in 30 years is hardly anything to bitch about.

I got the bushes from Bogen Imaging here in the UK, and I can't praise their sales staff highly enough. An excellent firm to deal with.