Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2009, 04:24 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Paranoia strikes deep/Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid/You step out of line, the man come and take you away
- Buffalo Springfield

EU Steps Up Privacy Enforcement Against American Businesses | Thompson Hine LLP

Cross-Border Privacy Law Enforcement

Quote from Wikipedia (the BOLD setting is by me):
Information privacy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Information privacy, or data privacy is the relationship between collection and dissemination of data, technology, the public expectation of privacy, and the legal and political issues surrounding them.

Privacy concerns exist wherever personally identifiable information is collected and stored - in digital form or otherwise. Improper or non-existent disclosure control can be the root cause for privacy issues. Data privacy issues can arise in response to information from a wide range of sources, such as:

* Healthcare records
* Criminal justice investigations and proceedings
* Financial institutions and transactions
* Biological traits, such as genetic material
* Residence and geographic records
* Ethnicity

The challenge in data privacy is to share data while protecting personally identifiable information. The fields of data security and information security design and utilize software, hardware and human resources to address this issue.

No, I don't feel as being paranoid - I just want my own private data being secure and assign the same right to everybody else!

Ben

06-24-2009, 05:03 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
EU Steps Up Privacy Enforcement Against American Businesses | Thompson Hine LLP

Cross-Border Privacy Law Enforcement

Quote from Wikipedia (the BOLD setting is by me):
Information privacy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Information privacy, or data privacy is the relationship between collection and dissemination of data, technology, the public expectation of privacy, and the legal and political issues surrounding them.

Privacy concerns exist wherever personally identifiable information is collected and stored - in digital form or otherwise. Improper or non-existent disclosure control can be the root cause for privacy issues. Data privacy issues can arise in response to information from a wide range of sources, such as:

* Healthcare records
* Criminal justice investigations and proceedings
* Financial institutions and transactions
* Biological traits, such as genetic material
* Residence and geographic records
* Ethnicity

The challenge in data privacy is to share data while protecting personally identifiable information. The fields of data security and information security design and utilize software, hardware and human resources to address this issue.

No, I don't feel as being paranoid - I just want my own private data being secure and assign the same right to everybody else!

Ben
Ben

Your logic is flawless except....

- units don't usually work inside,
- don't need to know where your friend lives, you knew that before you took the shot.
- anyone who recognises a person or their home would also be capable of identifying the location of the priceless object you use in your sample, the GPS data makes it easier but not unique

As for the use of a GPS

The basic Idea I use is if I am travelling (read again travelling) it is the only time I take a gps. It it the only time most people take a gps.
06-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Ben

Your logic is flawless except....

- units don't usually work inside,
- don't need to know where your friend lives, you knew that before you took the shot.
- anyone who recognises a person or their home would also be capable of identifying the location of the priceless object you use in your sample, the GPS data makes it easier but not unique

As for the use of a GPS

The basic Idea I use is if I am travelling (read again travelling) it is the only time I take a gps. It it the only time most people take a gps.
Lowell, I don't question the value of using GPS data bound to the images. The problem arises, if these data are published together with images. And even if somebody will be recognized in person, this does not diminish our liability for violating data protection legislation.

And yes, today GPS is an add-on - but give two years and moist cameras will have it integrated and all images will be "geotagged". And most people will not have the least clue, on what they are doing, when they put their images onto the web.

I already have some personal experience with this kind of violating the private sphere: I work as a journalist for one of the worldwide top ten newspapers. And when I published an article abouzt a certain, controversial topic, I receieved some reader's emails, to which I responded. A day later these responses where published by those readers in newsgroups. I don't mind that in terms of contents (nothing really private), but I do mind the violation of the secrecy of the post - a basic requirement by all democracies. This basic right to your privacy gets dilluted more and more. And it is easy to foresee, that the courts will step-in, especially, if professionals are careless about these things.

Ben
06-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Lowell, I don't question the value of using GPS data bound to the images. The problem arises, if these data are published together with images. And even if somebody will be recognized in person, this does not diminish our liability for violating data protection legislation.

And yes, today GPS is an add-on - but give two years and moist cameras will have it integrated and all images will be "geotagged". And most people will not have the least clue, on what they are doing, when they put their images onto the web.

I already have some personal experience with this kind of violating the private sphere: I work as a journalist for one of the worldwide top ten newspapers. And when I published an article abouzt a certain, controversial topic, I receieved some reader's emails, to which I responded. A day later these responses where published by those readers in newsgroups. I don't mind that in terms of contents (nothing really private), but I do mind the violation of the secrecy of the post - a basic requirement by all democracies. This basic right to your privacy gets dilluted more and more. And it is easy to foresee, that the courts will step-in, especially, if professionals are careless about these things.

Ben
Ben

There are a couple of things here that beg a comment, and then I will stop, because this thread is about how to add GPS data to EXIF data and not about privacy rights etc.

First of all, while it is true that gps data will get put into more and more things, this is driven by market demands. It is already in most cell phones and there are even options with some cell service providers to allow you to be found. People are demanding the options be included therefore under free market they will be.

with respect to your comments about people not knowing what they are doing, and posting data unwillingly, and your last phrase regarding professionals being careless, I have a big problem.

In my view, and many may differ, part of the distinction of being a professional is the obligation of due care. Professional photopgraphers have a responsibility to respect the rights of privacy and to know the laws pertaining to photography, ownership of images, copywright etc. that is their business.

Part of any issue with respect to violation of rights, laws, etc... and any settlements or rulings pertaining to those issues needs to address several things,
- Was the viloation intentional or unintentional?
- Did the person excersize due care?
- was this someting the person, due to profession should have known?
With respect to the courts stepping in, when professionals are careless, that is called neglegence, and in my view, professionals should know better!

If you want to continue this concept, I suggest you start a new thread under the general talk forum, about the use of and distribution of EXIF data and photographs.

06-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Ben

If you want to continue this concept, I suggest you start a new thread under the general talk forum, about the use of and distribution of EXIF data and photographs.
Lowell, I don't want to press that subject - I just responded to another reply in that thread. May be I was going too far with that.

Ben
06-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At the risk of taking the thread any further off topic, I'll actually respond to Ben's thoughts on my post. I actually don't think that is what Chris was talking about when he made his comment , and since he didn't reply yet, we don't know. I left room in my reply for the possibility of a constructive explaination of what he was talking about. But whatever, it really doesn't matter; my point is that it appeared his comment was intended to be rude, and I didn't appreciate it when there is such an obvious response.

As for your privacy point, if the law in the place where you're shooting prohibits recording of GPS data and/or publicly disseminating that data in conjunction with a photograph, then by all means that recording or disseminating should not be done! This is the same principle of taking pictures of strangers and publishing their likeness without a model release or publishing images of an adult nature origainnally taking for a limited use (i.e, private consumption only). These images should not be misused, but that doesn't mean the photographed was wrong to take the image, or in digital terms record the data, for a limited and proper usage. This could open a can of worms, so maybe it is best to further this discussion in another thread if necessary.

Still, I don't know of any locale where merely recording GPS data and attaching it to a photograph is illegal and your cited wikipedia entry doesn't really address that. If that's what Chris meant, then he should have reminded us that we should not use GPS data for any improper purposes. But I think Ben's posts have done that and he's right to remind us all that we should be careful to respect people's privacy concerns when publishing things online. But Geotagging in and of itself isn't the problem.
06-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffreyEarly Quote
David (ifringe) pointed me to this forum this morning and I so set up a $10 discount coupon for PhotoLinker for Pentax Forum users. Just enter this into the "Coupon Code" box at our store before you make a purchase.

FHKQYUA73TBQLGU1

The coupon is valid for the first 50 people, so don't wait too long :-)

Jeffrey

Edit: I should add that one of the big difference between PhotoLinker and the free GPSPhotoLinker that people here might appreciate is the handling of metadata tags. PhotoLinker is one of the first applications to be Metadata Working Group (MWG) compliant. You get access to all the industry standard tags, and they're handled in a standards compliant manner. Aperture, Lightroom, and Expression Media all handle the various tags differently (using different rules for reading and writing), and the MWG is an attempt by those companies (and others) to come up with a standard way to do it. Anyway, that's one of the less glamorous, but perhaps most important, features introduced with PhotoLinker 2.0.

Along those same lines, PhotoLinker has support for reading, writing and creating XMP sidecar files.
I've been experimenting a little more with various tagging programs for the Mac platform and I found the free GPSPhotoLinker to be very good. I haven't used the newer, non-free PhotoLinker program, but I might look into it further. For straightforward tagging of photos with GPS info on a Mac, I prefer the GPSPhotoLinker to GPicSync (mentoned earlier) and some others I tried.

Last edited by indytax; 06-24-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: correct typo
06-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
But I think Ben's posts have done that and he's right to remind us all that we should be careful to respect people's privacy concerns when publishing things online. But Geotagging in and of itself isn't the problem.
My whole responses were only about the publishing side. Obviously you are right and the simple geo-tagging is not the problem at all. I think, we can easily agree on that.

Ben