Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd like to try geotagging as long as it is easy to do. I've been looking around for Mac programs and have found a couple of free or donationware programs. Has anyone used GPSPhotoLinker? It sounds like it will do what I want, which is to put the coordinates in the exif information, based on a GPS logger. I already use the Garmin 60 CSX and Garmin's Mac program and maps.

Geophoto got a poor review at one site I looked at, compared to some of the free programs.

I also saw a Lightroom plugin for writing GPS data, but it works by writing to the exported file, not changing the original file (at least that's what I think I read).

05-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I'd like to try geotagging as long as it is easy to do. I've been looking around for Mac programs and have found a couple of free or donationware programs. Has anyone used GPSPhotoLinker? It sounds like it will do what I want, which is to put the coordinates in the exif information, based on a GPS logger. I already use the Garmin 60 CSX and Garmin's Mac program and maps.

Geophoto got a poor review at one site I looked at, compared to some of the free programs.

I also saw a Lightroom plugin for writing GPS data, but it works by writing to the exported file, not changing the original file (at least that's what I think I read).
Sadly, there's not a lot of geocaching or geotagging software available for the Mac.

I've resorted to loading a WinXP virtual machine on my Mac just so I can use decent mapping and geocaching/geotagging tools.
05-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

GPicSync geocoder

Google hosts the free GPicSync for PC, Mac, & Linux that seems to fit the bill for much of what people are looking for here. I haven't used it (I haven't invested in a GPS logger, yet), but I've seen it mentioned in some geotagging tutorials. It looks like a good program and well supported. I'd be interested in a review if any users here have try it out.
05-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I use GeoSetter für Windows - free and works well.

05-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I downloaded GeoPhotoLinker and got a chance to play with it. It works quite well - I also have Garmin's software and maps for the Mac. While I've found their lack of documentation frustrating, I haven't had any problems with it. I used it to download the track and export it to the correct format. Then GeoPhotoLinker, which is a Mac program, imports the track, then you import the photos and as you click on it, the program shows the two track points before and after the time of the picture (I did synchronize my camera and GPS as much as I could before I started). It also gives you an option of choosing a "interpolated" mid-point if you want. It's simple to use, there's a batch mode if you want to do a bunch of photos at once. For free/donation ware, I was quite happy. And Lightroom can show you a Google satellite photo of the grid coordinates, if you import the changed metadata into LR.

The only problem I have now is that all of a sudden, as I was out Saturday, my 60CSX won't pick up satellites. It just continues to say "acquiring satellites" but doesn't display any of the signals. I don't know if you can re-set it to default settings, or if mine is toast (in which case, I need to read up on their warranty policy and where I have to send it for repair). Not a happy camper at the moment, though the software works fine, and I don't have to use Windows!
05-20-2009, 05:51 AM   #21
Inactive Account

I have just purchased a Holux M100C data logger, one of the features I like is the Built-in rechargeable and changeable Lithium-ion battery which lasts for 20 hours.
HOLUX - The Pro Name in GPS

As others above have stated I will be using Geosetter
05-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what is useful with geo setter or any photo gps exif editer is that you can sometimes figure out where you took a photo when you have forgotten.

I use it quite a bit when travelling because after time you forget where you were.

When I take a trip, i sort the photo's by location. having the location of a photo displayed on a map when you look at it helps this process
So, are you marking the locations for photos as waypoints, or just using the tracks to remind you of your path?

05-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
So, are you marking the locations for photos as waypoints, or just using the tracks to remind you of your path?
with geosetter, (assuming you have corrected for any time errors between camera clock and GPS) it shows each photo as a balloon on a mapquest map, you can see exactly where you were when you took the shot. It also writes the GPS information into the exif data for the file, therefore keeping a perminant record. I have a big SD card in y GPS so I save a track point every second, but geosetter can interpolate between track points if you have a variable track point (reduces space when travelling at constant speed in one direction.

My only complaint, is that you need to be hooked up on the internet. I have asked garmin if they are considering a similar application to use with thier maps, (hence off line) but so far no luck.
05-21-2009, 07:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Sorry to be so dense, but how does the GPS communicate with the camera? Do you need a laptop and a USB hookup live at the time you take the photo?
05-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Sorry to be so dense, but how does the GPS communicate with the camera? Do you need a laptop and a USB hookup live at the time you take the photo?
simple, it does not.

Geosetter is a photo EXIF editing program, it manages the data points found in the GPS output file time, longitude and lattitude (in GXF format) and compares this to the photo creation time (with any adjustment you input for camera time error and time zones) and then writes the location into the exif data of the photo. It is a post processing function, once you set it up and are happy with the syncronization of time and location, you can run thousands of photos as a batch.
05-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #26
Inactive Account

I believe I read somewhere that there are currently a few digital cameras commercially available with integral GPS facilities....

QuoteQuote:
Nikon Coolpix 6000......includes an embedded GPS receiver.
and assume that this would be preferable/easier than the additional complexity of implementing third-party bolt-on solutions, such as those mentioned in some of these threads.
However, having never used a GPS data logger before, I am naturally still quite intrigued by the possibilities and practicalities offered by such devices. Whilst already owning a portable GPS to use in my car, it unsurprisingly requires direct skyward line-of-sight with the orbiting geostationary satellites in order to function effectively. May I enquire if the same thing applies in the case of GPS data loggers and if not, where is one supposed to carry it on one's person ? Also, would a GPS data logger work correctly when taking photos INSIDE a building for example ?

But I read here:

QuoteQuote:
Paired with a compatible digital SLR camera from Fuji or Nikon, the Custom Idea GeoPic II presents a user with the ability to embed in images geospatial data in the form of GPS coordinates. Using the GeoPic II, GPS data is saved to an image's metadata during exposure. This system of geotagging is inherently more accurate and consistent when compared to GPS dataloggers that match the time stamp on an image with the closest approximation of location based on a time stamp on the GPS tracklog.
Custom Idea | GeoPic II - Direct Connect | GEOPICII2467 | B&H

or....

ATP Photo Finder

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/New_GPS_gadget_for_digital_SLR_cam...ws_262821.html

ATP GPS Photofinder Mini ATP GPS Photofinder Mini Detail Page

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 05-21-2009 at 12:06 PM.
05-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

richard

while a gps that inputs coordinate data to the file when created in the camera may be more accurate, (i.e. writing where it thinks you are at the time) note that it only takes a few seconds to set your camera clock, or set the time error with geotagger (my working example of software) and have the same level of accuracy.

Keep in mind that GPS time updates are only every second therefore at 3 FPS if yoou are moving there will always be an error, BUT, you don't move that fast hence the error is small.

As for line of sight, yes, although the better GPS units, like the GPS76CSx that I use, can actually work inside a house (unlike my old E-Map that struggled with clouds)

The more sensitive the receiver the better and the less you need to worry about where and how you carry it.

I leave the 76CSx in my camera bag, adn it still works
05-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
simple, it does not.

Geosetter is a photo EXIF editing program, it manages the data points found in the GPS output file time, longitude and lattitude (in GXF format) and compares this to the photo creation time (with any adjustment you input for camera time error and time zones) and then writes the location into the exif data of the photo. It is a post processing function, once you set it up and are happy with the syncronization of time and location, you can run thousands of photos as a batch.

Thanks. That's a pretty slick idea.
05-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Using your BlackBerry as GPS Logger

Last week, I was (un?)lucky enough to be given a BlackBerry by my office and it has an internal GPS receiver (3810 Curve from AT&T). After thinking about this thread a little more, I did some research and found some BB applications that act as a GPS logger using the device's GPS. The free app I installed is the open-source GPSLogger. (I always try an open-source solution first if I can.) Although I haven't taken it out for a spin yet, I've set it up to record onto a microSD card and automatically email me the GPX or KML file.

I also found a commercial solution in GPSed, which appears to be a logger program and online service rolled into one. The latter appears to also have a geotagger program for Windows computers that works with Google Earth. It also has an online function that will automatically geotag timestamped images in your Picasa Web Albums or Flickr accounts. GPSed has a basic, free version and a pro, paid version with added features. If it works well, it looks to be fairly slick.

I'm going to try GPSLogger out soon with my K10D and GPicSync to see how easy it all is. If you're like me (interested in geotagging, have a BlackBerry with an internal GPS, and don't want to buy a dedicated GPS logger), one of these--or some other app that I didn't find--might be a solution.
05-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm using the Amod AGL3080 solution. I don't know how it compares in relation to the Garmin unit in terms of precision/performance. My tracks from last Saturday definately had some decent error in them, on the other hand I was hiking down in a gorge (Watkins Glen State Park in Watkins Glen, NY). My old eMap would have simply lost reception there...

It uses an SiRF Star III chipset, which is quite impressive. I don't know how the new MTK chipsets compare...

I log the data, copy it to a PC along with my PEFs, and then run gpscorrelate (a Linux geotagging program) to add the geotags to the PEFs.

As mentioned elsewhere, you do not need to specifically mark waypoints with the GPS as long as the camera's clock is set accurately.