Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
does gpscorrelate allow you to make timeclock corrections?

Geosetter allows for this and displays the camera time in a window so you can validate you have the two data files in sync

05-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used several applications and GPS devices for geoencoding images. RoboGeo seem to be the most complete with automatic uploading to Picasa and Flickr as well as time adjustments and a variety of other features. I have used it with a Garmin Edge cyclocomputer as well as a Magellan Explorist and a Royaltek data-logger. The only issue that I have is that it will not work with PEF natively, DNG is supported. RoboGeo has indicated that they will not provide support for PEF in the future either.

I have also used locr GPS Photo and GeoSetter and while both seem to work well they do not have all the features of RoboGeo.

I am now using a Lightroom plugin by Jeffrey Friedl.
05-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also use RoboGeo with my DeLorme Earthmate PN-40. I shoot PEF in-camera but always convert to DNG when I import into LR so the RoboGeo>PEF issue is not relevant to me.
06-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
does gpscorrelate allow you to make timeclock corrections?

Geosetter allows for this and displays the camera time in a window so you can validate you have the two data files in sync
gpscorrelate does, although I prefer to correct the EXIF of the original images.

Geosetter actually can pull the camera time from Pentax cameras? Is it able to set the camera time? I know pkremote didn't allow for setting or retrieving camera clock data.

06-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
gpscorrelate does, although I prefer to correct the EXIF of the original images.

Geosetter actually can pull the camera time from Pentax cameras? Is it able to set the camera time? I know pkremote didn't allow for setting or retrieving camera clock data.
geo setter has a time adjustment window, which displays the time you should see on your camera when you set / check time.

it does not "pull the time in, just the opportunity to confirm what you have is set correctly
06-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I downloaded GeoPhotoLinker and got a chance to play with it. It works quite well - I also have Garmin's software and maps for the Mac. While I've found their lack of documentation frustrating, I haven't had any problems with it. I used it to download the track and export it to the correct format. Then GeoPhotoLinker, which is a Mac program, imports the track, then you import the photos and as you click on it, the program shows the two track points before and after the time of the picture (I did synchronize my camera and GPS as much as I could before I started). It also gives you an option of choosing a "interpolated" mid-point if you want. It's simple to use, there's a batch mode if you want to do a bunch of photos at once. For free/donation ware, I was quite happy.
A couple of notes about this.

GeoPhotoLinker has been updated and works even more magic (Mac only). It is now called PhotoLinker and, at least in my opinion, is a lot more powerful and flexible. For example, it can now record the altitude in feet (instead of meters only), and has greatly enhanced the ability to correctly sync your camera time to the GPS time. That's the good news.

The bad news is that it is now a paid program. Best of all, however, the older version is still available, so you can choose what works best for you.

I sorted through every GPS photo linking program I could find for the Mac and have finally settled in on this one, even though it is no longer free. The features and ease of use that it offers, to me, justifies the price, but, well, I suppose that is a personal choice for each of us I have corresponded with the author of this, and found him to be helpful and very open to suggestions. That always helps sway my opinion

One tip for EVERY photo linking program: If you are using a device that can show you the time (some trackers simply track with no display) either before or after your session, take a picture of the current date/time. This will make setting the time offset a snap, since you can quickly compare the time of the photo to the time on the GPS and know your offset exactly. Takes all the guesswork out...

Just my 2 cents
david
06-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #37

David (ifringe) pointed me to this forum this morning and I so set up a $10 discount coupon for PhotoLinker for Pentax Forum users. Just enter this into the "Coupon Code" box at our store before you make a purchase.

FHKQYUA73TBQLGU1

The coupon is valid for the first 50 people, so don't wait too long :-)

Jeffrey

Edit: I should add that one of the big difference between PhotoLinker and the free GPSPhotoLinker that people here might appreciate is the handling of metadata tags. PhotoLinker is one of the first applications to be Metadata Working Group (MWG) compliant. You get access to all the industry standard tags, and they're handled in a standards compliant manner. Aperture, Lightroom, and Expression Media all handle the various tags differently (using different rules for reading and writing), and the MWG is an attempt by those companies (and others) to come up with a standard way to do it. Anyway, that's one of the less glamorous, but perhaps most important, features introduced with PhotoLinker 2.0.

Along those same lines, PhotoLinker has support for reading, writing and creating XMP sidecar files.

Last edited by JeffreyEarly; 06-20-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Add MWG information
06-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The joy of photography?

Just because we have the ability to collect data doesn't mean we should.

Chris
06-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeffrey, you have a very nice looking program there with some great features. I used to be like many people who always looked for the free programs and at times I still do. But I have found instances where spending a few bucks is well worthwhile. I wish I had found your program before I bought RoboGeo, not because I've found RoboGeo wanting, quite the contrary, it works fine. But I like people, like you, who take the time and who care enough about their product to do as you did.
Chris, I used to feel as you do about geotagging my photos but I needed a GPS to keep from getting lost out in the woods around here and it's become one of my most fun devices. Geotagging photos naturally followed along and in my case, at least, it's fun and I'm having no problems rationalizing my reasons for doing so:-).
06-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Jeffrey, you have a very nice looking program there with some great features. I used to be like many people who always looked for the free programs and at times I still do. But I have found instances where spending a few bucks is well worthwhile. I wish I had found your program before I bought RoboGeo, not because I've found RoboGeo wanting, quite the contrary, it works fine. But I like people, like you, who take the time and who care enough about their product to do as you did.
I am all about free as well. But sometimes a program has enough value that I will donate to the author, which is what I did in Jeffery's case. Much to my delight he wrote back and let me know that the new version was coming along. When it was released, I went ahead and purchased it... I've been happy. In any event, I am happy to support people/programs such as this, and feel my money was very well spent.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Chris, I used to feel as you do about geotagging my photos but I needed a GPS to keep from getting lost out in the woods around here and it's become one of my most fun devices. Geotagging photos naturally followed along and in my case, at least, it's fun and I'm having no problems rationalizing my reasons for doing so:-).
My own desire to GeoTag came about because I looked at a stunning photo I managed to take over 10 years ago and...I have no idea at all where it is. After that experience, I decided to try this in the hopes of providing myself better information in the future. I figure that one day the information buried in those EXIF tags will come in darn handy...and the time to take care of them is in a batch process as I move them off the camera and onto the computer.

Besides, it is really fun to look at the photos on a map, too

I have managed to fit the geo tagging neatly into my workflow. All I have to really remember is to grab the GPS and turn it on... these days it resides in my camera bag and clips onto my pants pocket as I leave the house. I have been deeply considering these cute little trackers which go on your keyring, and sooner or later will pop for one of those. They seem even easier.

Just my opinion
david
06-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the coupon - I've been meaning to send you a donation for the free version but hadn't quite gotten around to it. The new version is very cool! While I like being able to try out a program first (I've regretted a couple of purchases), I have no trouble paying someone for their hard work. The new version looks very nice and adds some functions that I really like. I'll have to check out the ways to sync the time - for me it's been fine just make sure that the GPS and the camera are showing the same minute at the beginning of my walk.

Is geotagging pictures something I have to have? No, but it's fun and I enjoy it. I'm looking forward to using it on vacation, it'll help me figure out where the pictures were taken. Perhaps I'll get a smaller GPS later on, but for now I'll continue to use my mapping GPS, something I use for hiking anyway.

Thanks again, I'm glad I found your program!
06-22-2009, 05:02 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
no perhaps not, but just try to go back 25 years later and with no date or location stamp just try to remember what you did, and where you were.

geo tagging is a useful tool to help you organize.

In addition, how many people go on a trip and visit 2-3 similar placesm then can't sort the photo's out afterward. Not everyone takes a computer along, or makes notes of every where they visit.

if you can locate the photo on a map, then maybe you can remember or learn where you took it
06-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Chris, perhaps you could explain this comment more. How exactly is photography harmed or diminished by recording the location that the photo was taken? Isn't all EXIF & IPTC information the same, just perhaps more precise, than a photographer jotting down notes?

I have seen several excellent examples of how this additional information benefits and enhances the photographic experience. Plus, I have a particular interest in learning how to incorporate geotagging into my workflow so that I'll be able to look back and remember more about my photogrpahs.

Your comment just seems contrarian for the sake of contrarianism, and certainly of no help to anyone.
06-24-2009, 02:25 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
Chris, perhaps you could explain this comment more. How exactly is photography harmed or diminished by recording the location that the photo was taken? Isn't all EXIF & IPTC information the same, just perhaps more precise, than a photographer jotting down notes?

I have seen several excellent examples of how this additional information benefits and enhances the photographic experience. Plus, I have a particular interest in learning how to incorporate geotagging into my workflow so that I'll be able to look back and remember more about my photogrpahs.

Your comment just seems contrarian for the sake of contrarianism, and certainly of no help to anyone.
I cannot understand your criticism of Chris' remark.

Location data might be very sensitive. If for example you take images in a private house or garden and – because they are so great – publish these on Flickr or any other online medium, you will also give away the exact private location.

Chris is making a very valid point, because 90% (my assumption) of people publishing their images online will simply not think about removing sensible data from their images.

I agree, that adding location data to images can be very helpful, if you retain a functional data base of images - but it adds another potential way to publish sensitive data.

Think especially about the potential for compensation claims: You publish (don't take that personal) a great shot of a rare antique item - a real gem. It was takern in the house of a friend. Anybody on Flickr can then see the location. If the item is stolen by a burglar, your former friend would have a good case to sue you, because you gave away (even unwillingly or unknowingly) the exact location of the gem.

Also, even if there wasn't any kind of burglary, any published image which was taken on private property might give reason for a law suite due to violating data protection acts.

So, if adding location data, the photographer should be very well aware of the possible consequences and should be capable to remove these sensible data, when publishing his images. It is not a coincidence, that exact location data, which can be accumulated and mixed with other data, are very highly regarded on the market.

Ben
06-24-2009, 04:01 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Paranoia strikes deep/Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid/You step out of line, the man come and take you away
- Buffalo Springfield