Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #1

Carrying DSLR on bicycle

I'd like to carry my K200D with me on my bicycle. I'd like the camera to be conveniently accessible while on the bike (i.e., quickly available when I pull over) and also in something that can be conveniently removed and carried around when I park the bike.

I have a LowePro TLZ Mini bag, a trunk rack, a trunk bag which is full, and panniers.

I've tried:

1. TLZ Mini on the chest harness -- too dangly, bumps my legs, drifts.
2. TLZ Mini on shoulder strap, camera behind me -- tends to flop to the front where it's totally in the way.
3. TLZ Mini in one of my pannier bags -- to fiddly to get out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Reid

05-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Try it on a belt. Any hardware store should have a web belt with click buckle, something like this...

Should be able to place the TLZ mini around back or to one hip and rotate it quickly when you stop. I do this all the time, just not on a bike... Actually it might work around your waist with the TLZ in the front as well.

Seaain
05-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like my Lowepro Inverse 100. I've taken it on 60 milers without a problem, I forget it is there and it's easy to spin around and grab the camera. I got it on eBay for 35 bucks and can carry my DSLR and a couple of lenses but I usually take one lens because of the weight.
05-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Another vote for the Inverse 100. I've used mine biking as well as snowmobiling through some rough stuff compared to what I'd ever see mountain biking and never had a problem.

05-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
Another vote for the Inverse 100. I've used mine biking as well as snowmobiling through some rough stuff compared to what I'd ever see mountain biking and never had a problem.
I have to agree with this as well... that was why I suggested the belt to begin with. i have an Inverse 200 and an Off Trail 1. Both probably bigger than what you want/need, but the Inverse 100 would really work great I think. It even has a place for a water bottle...

Seaain
05-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #6

I suppose this depends on where you want to take your bike, but have you thought about a messenger bag? There has to be a good reason why so many bike messengers in big cities use the same style of bag.

I use a Domke F-802 messenger bag, which isn't really designed for bikes but it works pretty well. It can occasionally slip down around my side but that's likely my own fault as I don't always tighten the strap enough. If you're going to be on the bike a lot take a look at some bike-messenger-designed camera bags.
05-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't know what kind of biking you do, but my fiancee and I rode around and through Glacier National Park last summer. She had her Nikon in a decently padded handlebar bag with a quick release. Worked great.

05-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DSLRs are big and expensive, and even touring spills are inevitable.
This sounds like a job more suited to a "ruggedized" point and shoot.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-06-2009 at 03:52 PM.
05-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Forum Member

I carry my k100d in a well padded handle bar bag. Usually I ride on Skyline Drive in Shenandoah national park. I haven't had any problems, even in various types of weather.
05-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Carrying K100D on a Bicycle

I have tried various items for carrying my K100D when bicycling. None were satisfactory.

A handlebar bag had me concerned about vibration on bumpy terrain as did a bag on the rear carrier.

The Op/Tech Camera/Binocular harness was difficult to adjust, awkward to put on, uncomfortable and allowed the camera to hang free and bounce against my chest.

Sometimes the simplest device is the best.

This photo shows my camera hanging around my neck on its usual Op/Tech neck strap adjusted to my preferred working length.
It is secured to my body by an inexpensive elasticized belt.
The belt is fully adjustable and quite comfortable.
The belt holds the camera securely against my body even when using drop handlebars.
When the camera is in use the belt is not even felt around my chest.
I prefer to put the belt around the camera lens to keep out of the way and prevent it from banging against anything when I am not on my bike. Occasionally I may place the belt across the bottom front of the camera. It will also hold the camera vertically.
On long walks the belt can be used to relieve the weight of the camera on the neck.
When I put on the belt I slide the buckle around to my side so it cannot mar the camera.

The camera in the picture is a Canon T90 with a Sigma 70 to 210 mm lens. It is substantially heavier than my K100D.

The belt came gratis with a pair of slacks. The frown is the result of trying to get a reasonably framed picture shooting with my K100D down at my hips. It took 8 tries.

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 05-05-2009 at 12:12 PM.
05-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #11
Damn Brit

Put an old fashioned basket on your handlebars big enough to take a small camera bag.
05-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

All of these suggestions would work dependant on application.

What type of biking do you do? Are we talking road biking (long distance Lance Armstrong stuff), low key cruising around town/in the park, or some type of off road riding?

My main riding is mountain biking (but lacking the mountain part around here) where I'm on dirt rock or gravel going up and down hills, along rivers and whatnot. For that kind of thing, I like the Lowepro that I mentioned. With the loading straps properly adjusted, it rides well and doesn't flop/shake around from all the bumps. Not sure how much the TLZ would flop around on a waist belt off pavement. If it is bad, straps like Amazon.com: Op/Tech System Connector #10 Reporter/Backpack 8.5" - 10.5" (21,6 CM - 26,7 CM) each side: Camera & Photo might help get it under control. I don't have any experience with them yet, but they were suggested to be by other people on this forum for stabilizing a holster bag on a frame pack. Kinesis (kpack.com) also offers some.

If you're cruising around town, I'd agree with Gary on the basket honestly. There's little risk of tipping over dumping the camera out of the basket and being on pavement, not enough shaking around to worry about. Mickey's setup would probably also work well for this. I can just see my LCD screen getting personal with my chin in some areas I've gone through. Pretty much anything that feels comfortable to you should work on pavement for short differences.

If you're into the long distance, skinny tire thing, some sort of bag on the handlebars seems like the best way to go in my opinion. Easy to get to, not hangin off the body, potential to mount it as aerodynamic as a bag can get, and not seeing horrible shaking/vibration. Then again, I don't know much about that kind of biking. Skinny tires and mud don't go very far. I'd think you'd even be able to mount your TLZ with some ingenuity though. Zip ties work wonders, haha.
05-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

Very timely thread for me:

I just bought a bike Saturday after years and years.

And my ass STILL hurts today on Wednesday!
05-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Very timely thread for me:

I just bought a bike Saturday after years and years.

And my ass STILL hurts today on Wednesday!
Hahaa. I remember when I bought my bike a few years ago (after a 10 year hiatus) I was so excited I immediately rode it all over town, about 19 miles. Hurt for a week.
05-07-2009, 06:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
Hahaa. I remember when I bought my bike a few years ago (after a 10 year hiatus) I was so excited I immediately rode it all over town, about 19 miles. Hurt for a week.
Haha - I had a different problem when I bought my bike - it nearly rattled my eyeballs out of my skull (1700cc V-Twin)...