Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
my jinfinance screen was very sticky after removing the protective film. it seemed to be a combination of adhesive residue and static cling which picked up dust particles and couldnt be cleaned using air or a lens brush; in fact these two methods actually introduced more dust to the screen.

i ended up carefully soaking it in "glass plus" cleaner to release the adhesive and then rinsed it under filtered water to remove the cleaning product. blowing it with compressed air got it nice and dry and it installed with not a single visible speck of dust.

good luck.

05-26-2009, 02:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Installed mine today(Mine didnt come with tweezers)also very sticky but have a few dust bits ,will clean better later,My question when i installed it was that the focus line was not at a straight line across but more like at a 45 degree angle to horizontal.Is this right?

cheers
05-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Installed mine today(Mine didnt come with tweezers)also very sticky but have a few dust bits ,will clean better later,My question when i installed it was that the focus line was not at a straight line across but more like at a 45 degree angle to horizontal.Is this right?

cheers
Some models have a 45° diagonal split-image, yes.
05-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't mean to hijack, but it seems like a few others have dumped their questions in...

My 45 deg angle jinfinance screen came in the mail today just as I was packing the car for a 3 day work trip. So, I just put the screen in at the hotel room now. Doing a really quick and dirty FF/BF check on a business card propped up at a 45 deg angle with my 50/4 macro Tak, I noticed it looks like the lower right prism has some sort of fracture/crack or poor cutting on the face really close to the split prism divide. It runs parallel to the divide from nearly the center down towards the left. It's not contamination.

Anyone else notice this with their screen? Whatever defect it is, it is a bit annoying since I don't have a crisp divide between the prisms the whole length. I think I can deal with it easy enough since it isn't nearly as obvious when I tested with the other lenses I have with, this is what I should expect for what I paid compared to the other screens available. Macro work will just be a little fussy.

I'm still new to this stuff. Would you guys find this as an acceptable flaw in your equipment? Do you think I should try to get a different screen? I'm not sure if this is the quality to expect or if I have a legitimate reason to ask for a different screen.

By the way for those of you considering this screen, from the tabletop test, FF/BF seems to be within a half mm with whatever shim was in the camera if any. I flipped up the frame, took out the stock screen, dropped the new in, closed it up. Almost too simple.

05-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Tvfd911: Anyone else notice this with their screen? Whatever defect it is, it is a bit annoying since I don't have a crisp divide between the prisms the whole length. I think I can deal with it easy enough since it isn't nearly as obvious when I tested with the other lenses I have with, this is what I should expect for what I paid compared to the other screens available. Macro work will just be a little fussy.
No, you should not accept this. I got mine from jinfinance--it was perfect. Is it possible you scratched it slightly when installing it? The slightest touch can damage it. If not, e-mail jinfinance and he'll send you another.

I've had mine for over a year and it is great. Good luck.
05-27-2009, 01:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I find that if you have any difficulty removing any sticky adhesive substance, try Eucalyptus oil. Works brilliantly, dries/evaporates almost instantaneously.
05-27-2009, 01:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I find that if you have any difficulty removing any sticky adhesive substance, try Eucalyptus oil. Works brilliantly, dries/evaporates almost instantaneously.

Incidently, I have had a chinese bought focussing screen in my K10d for some months, no problems, no difficulties. It has been great.

05-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Are you sure Bruce as its oil based isnt it?

cheers
06-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also bought the Jinfinance, and it was a bust. The sticky film was a disaster that attracted so much dust that it was irritating to use. It did not come with tweezers, but came with two finger condoms that weren't all that helpful. I eventually put a big ugly scratch in the screen while trying to wash it.

Other than that, it worked great, and focus was spot on. The scratches and dirt made it unusable, but perhaps I could do better with the next one, or I will just spring for a Katzeye.
06-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Had a jinfinance screen and needed to really clean it before installing, here is what I used:

Click image to go to HarborFreight web site.

Of course the one I have is a bit bigger. Then some distilled water and two drops of liquid dishwasher soap. 8 minutes later, totally clean.
06-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
My 45 deg angle jinfinance screen came in the mail today just as I was packing the car for a 3 day work trip. ... I noticed it looks like the lower right prism has some sort of fracture/crack or poor cutting on the face really close to the split prism divide. It runs parallel to the divide from nearly the center down towards the left. It's not contamination.
This sounds like what I got. Mine turned out to be air bubble trapped between the protective film and the screen. Make sure you remove the protective film on both side of the screen.
06-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i ended up carefully soaking it in "glass plus" cleaner to release the adhesive and then rinsed it under filtered water to remove the cleaning product. blowing it with compressed air got it nice and dry and it installed with not a single visible speck of dust.
I have to try this. How long did you soak it?
06-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
I have to try this. How long did you soak it?
just about 5-10 minutes and at one point rubbed the surface very gently with a finger while in the solution to remove the residue - it all came off.

unfortunately, i never got the jinfinance screen back-focus problem corrected after laborious shimming and trial and error and am now saving up for a Katzeye that I can have installed so i don't run into the same problem again.
06-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
This sounds like what I got. Mine turned out to be air bubble trapped between the protective film and the screen. Make sure you remove the protective film on both side of the screen.
Yeah, the protective film is off both sides. This crack/fracture/imperfect edge only visible under certain conditions, mainly when looking against a white background. I emailed Jindefiance and asked him about getting a different screen. He asked to make sure it wasn't debris and get a picture of it and he'd gladly replace it if there was a flaw in it.

I've been in the middle of house renovations the last two weeks, so I've been a little busy to mess with it and my house isn't exactly clean enough to feel comfortable performing surgery on the camera. I'm also thinking it is going to be hard to make the flaw show up in a picture unless viewed through the viewfinder. I'll try holding my p&s up to the viewfinder tonight.

He seems plenty willing to work with me, I'm just dropping the ball on following up. Well, back to work, that wall isn't going to rip itself down.
06-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Had a jinfinance screen and needed to really clean it before installing, here is what I used:

Click image to go to HarborFreight web site.

Of course the one I have is a bit bigger. Then some distilled water and two drops of liquid dishwasher soap. 8 minutes later, totally clean.
thats really neat. I could use that to clean the slew of MX focusing screens I have.