Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Experience with Digital Foci Photosafe II

Does anyone have any experience or uses the Photosafe II as a portable picture storage device in lieu of a laptop/notebook/netbook?
Are they reliable?
They seem pretty affordable considering their capacity (80Gig-160Gig).
Same products but with the colored LCD screens/view screens seems ridiculously priced if all you need is a reliable storage device without always lugging around a laptop or carrying a lot of SD/SDHC cards.

05-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I guess nobody seems to have had any experiences with this type of a memory card back-up.
05-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, just saw this. I've never used a Photosafe II. I did use the plain-old Photosafe on a trip to Peru. I'm not a fan of it. The UI is generally difficult and even dangerous to use.

It's impossible to tell whether your photos downloaded successfully, other than by looking at the total free space. So I failed to notice that one of my cards didn't save properly (still not sure why). Thinking the card had been saved to disk, I formatted it. There goes one card of irreplaceable photos.

The function to save/copy the card is one keypress away from the function to delete the card. The delete function has no confirmation and works very fast. There goes a second card of irreplaceable photos.

When I got home and plugged it into my laptop to download the photos, it locked up hard, no reset possible. I had to take it apart & remove the battery to reset it. Thankfully it worked OK after that.

I would've sold it, but I'd feel bad about knowingly inflicting a product that terrible on someone else.

It could be that v2 is better than the one I had. I hope so. Regardless, I would encourage you to set the slider on the SD cards to readonly before putting them into the Photosafe.
05-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks breischl!
I have actually read some reviews (though not very many) of how it sometimes doesn't do its job though there are positive reviews.
That is why I'm asking also in this forum in case there might be more positive reviews to it that may sway me to give it another thought (to buy).