Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Manfrotto 190XPROB and Vanguard SBH 200 Head Experience

Hi,

I posted a question the other day asking for your thoughts on Induro tripods and heads.

I went to a different Camera store today and looked at a Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod and Vanguard SBH-200 Ball Head.

Although both of these are more expensive than the Induro products the construction and quality seems similar.

This tripod has a lot more adjustments to it than did the Induro, not to mention that the center column can go horizontal, the legs are very adjustable. I also like the way the legs locked much more so than the twist knobs on the Induro.

The Vanguard Head on the other hand to me is superior to the Induro Head. It supports a lot more weight, bigger plate to mount the camera, several more adjustments. It just seemed to be better thought out.

Has anyone had any prior experience with these products over the long haul.

As always thanks for your input....

stl09

05-07-2009, 03:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This is an Induro AX-214. It is a different series than you where looking at. Cost is around US $186.

The 190XPROB can't do more than horizontal, so for me the Induro was the better option. I can't remember if the 190XPROB could reverse the center column or not. The Induro comes with tools, spikes, small tool bag, tripod bag, and a strap that can be used with the bag or just used to carry the tripod without the bag.

If you can, go back to the store that had the Induro and place your hand across the leg locks on one of the legs. I have small hands and I can place my hand across all three locks on one leg and can open them all at once. I find the legs very easy to extend, with a little more work to collapse. I'm not saying it is fast than the clips on the Manfrotto, just that it is pretty easy.

Depending on where you live, you might try opening and closing the legs in gloves as well. I found the Induro's locks much easier to use with gloves on. If you live in snow, think about the buckels on ski boots and how you have to be sure to remove the snow under them to engage them properly.

Thank you
Russell
05-07-2009, 05:30 AM   #3

STL09. I'm assuming you went to Schillers. I looked at the same combo there too. I absolutely love the Vanguard SBH-200. I use it with a K20d, grip and Bigma and it's very sturdy. I voted against the 190XPROB because it was too short. I don't like using the center column unless I have to. I went with the Slik 700DX and haven't looked back. It's not a great combo if portability is an issue because it is fairly bulky, but it's built like a tank. B&H currently has the legs for $80 and the head can be picked up for around $60, so you can't beat the price.
05-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jerkules Quote
STL09. I'm assuming you went to Schillers. I looked at the same combo there too. I absolutely love the Vanguard SBH-200. I use it with a K20d, grip and Bigma and it's very sturdy. I voted against the 190XPROB because it was too short. I don't like using the center column unless I have to. I went with the Slik 700DX and haven't looked back. It's not a great combo if portability is an issue because it is fairly bulky, but it's built like a tank. B&H currently has the legs for $80 and the head can be picked up for around $60, so you can't beat the price.
You are correct went to Schillers. This is one of those things you need to touch, look and handle before making a choice. Yes portibility is an issue and I'm still not sure about the weight on the 190 it seems a bit heavy. I need to get out to CCC corporate store and take a look at what they got. Agree B&H is usually where I go for things.
Thanks for your input. I think that I'm sold on the Vanguard Head just need to choose the tripod.

05-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
This is an Induro AX-214. It is a different series than you where looking at. Cost is around US $186.

The 190XPROB can't do more than horizontal, so for me the Induro was the better option. I can't remember if the 190XPROB could reverse the center column or not. The Induro comes with tools, spikes, small tool bag, tripod bag, and a strap that can be used with the bag or just used to carry the tripod without the bag.

If you can, go back to the store that had the Induro and place your hand across the leg locks on one of the legs. I have small hands and I can place my hand across all three locks on one leg and can open them all at once. I find the legs very easy to extend, with a little more work to collapse. I'm not saying it is fast than the clips on the Manfrotto, just that it is pretty easy.

Depending on where you live, you might try opening and closing the legs in gloves as well. I found the Induro's locks much easier to use with gloves on. If you live in snow, think about the buckels on ski boots and how you have to be sure to remove the snow under them to engage them properly.

Thank you
Russell
Thanks for your input. The one thing that I didn't like about the Induro was that the leg locks didn't seem to be secure. I thought that I had them locked and went to put the camera on it and one leg collapsed. I think that I like the lever locks better, you know if they are locked or not right off. The store did not have the model you mentioned on hand. Does this one have the same type of leg locks as the original or like the 190?

Thanks again
stl09
05-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #6

Not sure if you were aware but CCC is having a photo expo this weekend so there are supposed to be some reps there this weekend (including Pentax and Manfrotto). Maybe they'll give you a free t-shirt or something if you buy a tripod! Good luck with your search.
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #7

I've got the 190XPROB. In my opinion the build quality is excellent and it is a very stable tripod. I use it always for low light and important shots now. As it is made of aluminium, then it is rather heavy though. I have a lighter Slik tripod for hiking.

As you noted, the center column can be placed horisontally. You do not have to remove it totaly, but pull it out as much as it comes, press a small button and slide it sidewasy. This allows a very low working distance.

I haven't used any Induro tripod, so cannot comment on them. Overall I am satisfied with the Manfrotto. If budget wouldn't be an issue, I would get a carbon fiber Gitzo explorer, which is both flexible and light. Another extremely flexible alu tripod is Benbo, but I think that they are hard to find these days.
05-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
Does this one have the same type of leg locks as the original or like the 190?
They are twist locks. If it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you.

You might want to look at the new Giottos tripods as they are now offering flip locks on their models. They offer a full sweep like the Induro.

Thank you
Russell

01-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #9

Induro

After using a large Induro tripod with a Friends Nikon and 600mm lens with gimbal head .
The tripod was big enough for the gear and stable once set up.
But I often found even after tightening the twist leg locks ,as I thought SUFFICIANTLY.they would still need more leaning on to tightened enough to stay upright.
Also the method of positioning the legs, each at a different angle was not easily achieved.
I use a Manfrotto with an old #168 head for up to a 200 mm lens annd I am very happy with it
Induro are cheap and lighter build than manfrotto.
My guess is the manfrotto will out last it .Either in I would through the Induro away in disgust or get rid of it to someone wanting to put up with a second rate product.
01-03-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ARFA-MO Quote
But I often found even after tightening the twist leg locks ,as I thought SUFFICIANTLY.they would still need more leaning on to tightened enough to stay upright.
If the locks weren't broken, my only other suggestion would be that they needed to be cleaned. My reason for saying this is that my experience is that the locks hold without issue.

K20D with Pentax DA 50-135mm f2.8 on the head

In the bag:
* Pentax 10-17mm f3.5-4.5 fisheye
* Sigma 10-20mm f4.5-5.6
* Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 macro
* Sigma AF 75-200mm f3.8
* Tokina 80-400mm f4.5-5.6
* Pentax F 100mm f2.8 macro
* Metz 48 AF-1 with batteries
* Pentax AF360 FGZ with batteries in Tamrac MAS flash bag on the side
* Flash stand
* set of four spare AA
* one spare battery for the K20D
* P-TTL 3ft cord
* Goittos Medium Rocket blower
* 3/4 inch nylon artist brush
* Ultrapod with Kirk 1.75 QR clamp
* Set of 77mm Kenko Pro1D filters, CPL, UV, in Tamrac SAS filter bag
* Cokin P Wide holder, Rings for 77mm and 52mm, Soft GND 4 & 8 filter, in a Tamrac MAS filter bag.
* Seven SD card in a ebay Card bag
* Dual Spirit level
* Seagull Right angle finder

Total weight of bag is about 15 pounds, add the weight of the weight of the K20D and DA 50-135mm. The whole thing is solid. No worries in putting the bag on the cross bar center column.

My normal carry weight is around 12 pound for the bag. When using the tripod my bag is always attached to the hook. Couple this with the weight of the camera and lens and I think the tripod is carrying around 15-17 pound when in use. I have yet to have the legs slip.

As to the leg adjustment being difficult, the design is copied from the Gitzo models. I'm not sure if there is a Gitzo tripod that doesn't use this, but if it is an issue for you, then it is an issue for you.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 01-03-2010 at 05:34 AM.