Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2009, 02:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
With a dedicated flash, the camera and flash should talk to each other and make correct exposures. I haven't found TTL flash control to be one of Pentax's strong points though.
The Metz units i am talking about are still automatic flash units, they have a sensor in the flash itself which controls the light output.
You have to set aperture and shutter speed manually, and you have to set the flash auto range to match the aperture in use (and generally tweak the aperture a little bit from there), but after that, the flash takes care of the light output with no further thought from the photographer.
I shot this last year as a wedding gift to the couple. The order of the pictures is rather odd, as is some of the raw conversions, I built it very quickly with a batch conversion, so everything got the same treatment.
However, all the flash shots (which is everything including most of the outdoor pictures) were shot with the aid of the Metz 60 CT-2.
Michael Ruda & Lyndsaye Greke, June 7 2008
A batch conversion.

Were you using LR 2?

I downloaded a trial version and am wondering if that is the way to go for prossesing multiple files.

BTW great wedding pics.

05-10-2009, 04:38 AM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
P-TTL flashes can be reasonably reliable once you know how your particular flash performs.
Like, my 540 needs +0.7 when it's the main source of light to expose well and something like -1.0 for fill flash. Whereas my Sigma 500, not a bad unit for its price, does well most of the time at FEC 0, but needs to be dialled down to -1.5 to -2.0 when used as fill flash.

When ambient light is varialbe, P-TTL can be handy, but when ambient lights out of the equation, I too would recommend manual setting to avoid inconsistencies.
05-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
A batch conversion.

Were you using LR 2?

I downloaded a trial version and am wondering if that is the way to go for prossesing multiple files.

BTW great wedding pics.
That would have been done with CS3. I didn't install Lightroom until earlyier this year. I am becoming a big fan of Lightroom. It's a very fast way to process huge numbers of files, including basic image editing such as cropping.
It's no match for the editing power of a full version of Photoshop, but if you are good behind the camera and don't have a fix it in Photoshop mentality, Lightroom just rocks.

Thanks for the compliment on my photography. To me, the best shot of the day wasn't of the wedding....

05-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

That would have been done with CS3. I didn't install Lightroom until earlyier this year. I am becoming a big fan of Lightroom. It's a very fast way to process huge numbers of files, including basic image editing such as cropping.
It's no match for the editing power of a full version of Photoshop, but if you are good behind the camera and don't have a fix it in Photoshop mentality, Lightroom just rocks.

Thanks for the compliment on my photography. To me, the best shot of the day wasn't of the wedding....

Looks like the bride didn't like one of her wedding gifts!

Ha!

05-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nicholaspaul Quote
Good point. I never thought of it that way.
And Mr Rockies, that's a great testimony. I'll definitely use the 50mm. When you say flash on top, do you mean that you don't use a flash bracket? Is that another piece of gear I can do without ?
Albert referred to using his 50mm on a KX = full frame. The equivalent field of view would be provided by the FA 35/2 on your camera. Your M50 will come in handy for portraits or candids, but is too narrow for group shots or for taking in the location.

A flash-bracket is a sensible choice if you use one of those small hot shoe flash guns (aka the FGZ360), because you can always position the flash on top, over the camera lens. Otherwise, when the flash is placed in the hot shoe directly, you will get very unnatural shadows, when you shoot in portait orientation.

Generally I would second Wheatfield: go for a secondhand capable flash gun with a good Auto(Thyristor) control, like the Metz 60 or 45 series. There are only two values you need to observe:
- use the same ISO setting in camera and on the flash
- dial in the aperture number you use on the lens into the dial of the flash

Metz flashes nearly always expose very, very reliably in Auto-mode. Also, these two modells have enough power for bouncing or using a portable softbox or whatever you want.

Ben
05-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #21

Original Poster
Gotcha - that makes a lot of sense. And sounds quite doable! Thanks.
I shot this last year as a wedding gift to the couple. The order of the pictures is rather odd, as is some of the raw conversions, I built it very quickly with a batch conversion, so everything got the same treatment.
However, all the flash shots (which is everything including most of the outdoor pictures) were shot with the aid of the Metz 60 CT-2.
Michael Ruda & Lyndsaye Greke, June 7 2008
Those are great shots. If I come any where near the lighting quality you have there, I'll be ecstatic (and breath a sigh of relief hoping I never have to go through all that again!!)
05-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Albert referred to using his 50mm on a KX = full frame. The equivalent field of view would be provided by the FA 35/2 on your camera. Your M50 will come in handy for portraits or candids, but is too narrow for group shots or for taking in the location.

A flash-bracket is a sensible choice if you use one of those small hot shoe flash guns (aka the FGZ360), because you can always position the flash on top, over the camera lens. Otherwise, when the flash is placed in the hot shoe directly, you will get very unnatural shadows, when you shoot in portait orientation.

Generally I would second Wheatfield: go for a secondhand capable flash gun with a good Auto(Thyristor) control, like the Metz 60 or 45 series. There are only two values you need to observe:
- use the same ISO setting in camera and on the flash
- dial in the aperture number you use on the lens into the dial of the flash

Metz flashes nearly always expose very, very reliably in Auto-mode. Also, these two modells have enough power for bouncing or using a portable softbox or whatever you want.

Ben
Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I've been dusting off the 50mm this weekend and took a few (hundred) pics on Mothers Day when my wife got her hair done. I posted the pics in the Gallery here, under Portraits. The focus-assist in the K100D works great! Well, I like it anyway.
Oh I also posted a couple of photos of my antique cameras in Misc. if anyone is interested...

05-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Oh I also posted a couple of photos of my antique cameras in Misc. if anyone is interested...
Ever shoot with those Diomatics? I have a similar model, but it takes 620 film (grrr)...
05-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use the 50mm, focus bracket like crazy. Don't be afraid to crank up the ISO sometimes to get more depth of field. Grain is lovely and in B&W hardly matters. I'd go in with 2 bodies ready and an assistant. This might just mean grabbing a friend who has a camera. Redundancy is so important since there is no second chance.
05-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Ever shoot with those Diomatics? I have a similar model, but it takes 620 film (grrr)...
Yes I have. It takes fantastic photos! I take it to Heritage Park, an historic village/park. I just use 120 film and shave down the edge of the spindles so it fits. If I can dig up the pictures I'll post them (if that's ok, it's not a Pentax!)
05-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Use the 50mm, focus bracket like crazy. Don't be afraid to crank up the ISO sometimes to get more depth of field. Grain is lovely and in B&W hardly matters. I'd go in with 2 bodies ready and an assistant. This might just mean grabbing a friend who has a camera. Redundancy is so important since there is no second chance.
Sounds like a plan! I think I'm the 'serious family member' as opposed to the Seasoned Pro, so hopefully there will be lots of amateur assistant. I could probably rope in the best man and make him work for a change!

I'm looking at flash prices locally, and the 540 is way out of range. $650CDN is out of the question. I understand the 360 might not be practical, but $250CDN is doable.
So what about the Metz 48 AF-1 ? I think it's a toss up between that and the Sigma EF 530DGP.

Another pondering: I have a Vivitar manual flash, GN 28. Can that be used with a light sensitive shoe mount to fill in shadows, or am I better off using a reflector?
05-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Yes I have. It takes fantastic photos! I take it to Heritage Park, an historic village/park. I just use 120 film and shave down the edge of the spindles so it fits. If I can dig up the pictures I'll post them (if that's ok, it's not a Pentax!)
Thanks! I just opened mine up, and it looks like shaving the spindles down will work - maybe I'll get some use out of it after all!

...and I'd love to see the pictures. They'd fit right in over in the "Show Us Your Film Shots" thread.
05-12-2009, 03:59 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't use flash, but from what I've read the Metz 48 is a good option and the cheapest tilt & swivel setup. It's also got a reflector card and wide-angle diffuser, so you may not need an add-on setup.

You'll need to go to the Metz 58 AF-1 for infill flash, HSS communications and wireless A (Auto) mode -- the pice jump is from £175 to £255 over here. For some shooters those are essential features, so I'd check it out. But if you want to rely on the camera's metering, or enter manual settings, the 48 looks good.

Unless you need to blind your guests it's likely strong enough as well. Here's a chart of relative performance I have from somewhere:

Pentax AF540FGZ = 5.0×
Metz 58 AF-1 = 4.3×
Sigma EF-530 DG = 4.0×
Metz 48 AF-1 = 3.0×
Pentax AF360FGZ = 2.0×
Pentax AF200FG = 1.0×
K10D built-in: 0.25×

Stronger flash is also useful in getting sufficient fill to use on bright days.
05-12-2009, 04:12 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I don't use flash, but from what I've read the Metz 48 is a good option and the cheapest tilt & swivel setup.
The Sigma EF530DG ST also has tilt and swivel and is cheaper. It's pretty basic, though.

You'll need to go to the Metz 58 AF-1 for infill flash, HSS communications and wireless A (Auto) mode -- the pice jump is from £175 to £255 over here.
The 48 AF-1 has HSS too. And both have wireless P-TTL modes, although you're right that only the 58 AF-1 has its own exposure sensor — like the Sigma EF530DG Super, the 48 AF-1 relies on communication from the camera.

QuoteQuote:
Here's a chart of relative performance I have from somewhere:

Pentax AF540FGZ = 5.0×
Metz 58 AF-1 = 4.3×
Sigma EF-530 DG = 4.0×
Metz 48 AF-1 = 3.0×
Pentax AF360FGZ = 2.0×
Pentax AF200FG = 1.0×
K10D built-in: 0.25×
From me. There's an updated version of this in my P-TTL flash guide.
05-12-2009, 06:05 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
From me. There's an updated version of this in my P-TTL flash guide.
Cool Matt! Sorry for my lack of reference-keeping.