Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Help with Sunpak 522 repair

I have a Sunpak 522 without sync cord and battery holder. I just bought a complete but non-working 544 for the parts.

Now I'd like to repair the 544.

The problem is that it fires intermitttently. It charges up OK, but takes any where from 2 to 50 (mostly 3) times to push the "test" button to fire it. I use the "test" button to make it simple. The symptom is the same when I connect the flash to a camera's PC terminal with the sync cord.

Is the flash reparable with basic tools and electronic knowledge? I have a non-working Sunpak 522 to act as organ donor if needed.

Any pointer is appreciated. Thanks.

05-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, I did a little bit of poking around out there, it seems some of these models are prone to failure of that type, ....haven't found anything about why. Is the head modular in any way? I think I'd start from the bulb and look for loose connections there.
05-11-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Is the head modular in any way? I think I'd start from the bulb and look for loose connections there.
No, the flash is not modular. I think the only Sunpak model is modular is 622.

I opened up the head and looked around - everything is clean and solid. I think the cause of failure is electronic (component failure), not mechanical (corrosion, solder joints coming loose, wires broken,...).
05-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
No, the flash is not modular. I think the only Sunpak model is modular is 622.

I opened up the head and looked around - everything is clean and solid. I think the cause of failure is electronic (component failure), not mechanical (corrosion, solder joints coming loose, wires broken,...).
Hrm, well, it's good troubleshooting to start there with intermittent problems, at least.

I asked about the modularity cause some of the older Sunpaks and a few Vivitars had some trouble with the connectors wearing out, once upon a time, usually with the shoe mount models and the interchangeable heads, when they had sort of an Atari-cartridge like card connection, and you could get problems like that. There's sometimes little things you can do with that.

I suppose the next question is if you feel capable of repairing little circuit boards, or maybe trying to swap out components. (This is generally outside my depth)

Do you know what's wrong with the parts-522?

05-30-2009, 02:50 AM   #5

The flash is fired the rather ordinary way: a small SCR discharges a 33nF cap - charged to about 180V - across the primary of the trigger transformer. The secondary 6kV pulse ionizes the xenon gas in the tube and, as the uprising voltage on the anode of the series thyristors exceeds the dU/dt value of the CR3JM-8, they open, thus allowing the main cap to be started discharging. The test knob is of spartan simplicity and can be corroded. I'd start to troubleshoot with that.
05-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kalaci Quote
The flash is fired the rather ordinary way: a small SCR discharges a 33nF cap - charged to about 180V - across the primary of the trigger transformer. The secondary 6kV pulse ionizes the xenon gas in the tube and, as the uprising voltage on the anode of the series thyristors exceeds the dU/dt value of the CR3JM-8, they open, thus allowing the main cap to be started discharging. The test knob is of spartan simplicity and can be corroded. I'd start to troubleshoot with that.
Thanks for the pointer. But...

I know it's not the 33nF cap. I replaced it.

It's not the test button either. I once bypassed it with a jumper.

The symptom remains the same.

I don't think it is the SCR. I can "hear" it closing with the test button.

The inside of the flash is as clean as a whistle: no corrosion, no loose wire, ....