Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Bellows Question

I'm looking for a good explanation of the differences between K-mount Pentax Bellows setups. From what I have garnered reading the Lenses & Accessories catalog from the period (my copy is from 1984) and Dimitrov's site there are three (?) models?

Auto Bellows M, Auto Bellows A - are these actually two different models or just different names for the same thing? If they're different I'd like to know how.

Bellows Unit III: Slightly shorter range and all manual aperture control - no DOF preview controls?

Thanks in advance for any info!

05-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are at least three and probably up to five different Pentax-brand K-mount bellows.

The design variants are:
  • Auto aperture support through dual cable release
  • Integrated focus rail (over/under), some with geared adjust and some without
  • Length of bellows extention
I own the Bellows-K (not on your list). It lacks the auto aperture support, but has the integrated focus rail. Unfortunately, the focus rail is not gear driven. I am not sure, but I think it may be one of the more compact versions.

Here is a photo:

Steve
05-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Steve.

"Auto aperture support through dual cable release" that's what has me a bit confused with the Auto Bellows A/M. Do both (are they different models?) do this? I've got a line on an Auto Bellows M and also a Bellows Unit III and am trying figure out which one - if either - is what I want.
05-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Thanks, Steve.

"Auto aperture support through dual cable release" that's what has me a bit confused with the Auto Bellows A/M. Do both (are they different models?) do this? I've got a line on an Auto Bellows M and also a Bellows Unit III and am trying figure out which one - if either - is what I want.
If it says "Auto", it supports the dual release. Whether a functional release is included with the bellows (has not been lost or damaged) is an entirely different question!

If I were to replace my unit, the Bellows M would be my first choice.

Steve

05-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Muchos Gratias
05-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have the Vivitar Bellows System. What's nice about it is that both ends are T-Mounts. Thus, you can use it with any camera or lens for which a T-Mount adapter is available (virtually all of them). All adjustments are geared. It also has a slide copier, a focus rail, and macrophoto stand (same as a microscope stage). I was lucky enough to get one that had all the T-Mount adapters I needed, but T-Mounts are cheap.

The Vivitars usually go for about $50 US, and are just as solidy built as the Pentax ones.

Edit: Just did some looking, and, like Pentax, there are several Vivitar variants. The one I'm describing is (I believe) the only dual-rail version. All the others seem to be single-rail and lack the T-Mount feature.

Last edited by OregonJim; 05-12-2009 at 12:47 AM.