Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the Pentax AF200FG worth $50?

Currently I have the Pentax K20D and the K100D. I also have the Sigma 530DG super flash. At ritz, they have the Pentax AF200FG for $45+tax. Is that flash worth $50 even if I have the Sigma 530DG super? Can the AF200FG be used in any other way besides mounted on the camera?

05-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm. Well, it's a fair price, I suppose. (wondering if Ritzes and Wolfs that aren't closing are sharing some of these deals: the store nearest here isn't closing, but I mightn't be above getting one, myself, they don't do much fancy, but they've got the virtue of being small and having a handy turn-it-down dial. (too bad there's no AF beam.)

Might just do some calling around, though, any of the three units could be of use, and I haven't been prepared to pay the full price.
05-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hrm. Well, it's a fair price, I suppose. (wondering if Ritzes and Wolfs that aren't closing are sharing some of these deals: the store nearest here isn't closing, but I mightn't be above getting one, myself, they don't do much fancy, but they've got the virtue of being small and having a handy turn-it-down dial. (too bad there's no AF beam.)

Might just do some calling around, though, any of the three units could be of use, and I haven't been prepared to pay the full price.
My local Ritz had 3 of them on hand. If the AF200FG is only good for on camera flash I will pass on it. I don't know much about flashes so I don't know what other use it could be used for.
05-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you just need a small flash more powerful than the built-in to carry around then it's a decent deal.

But IMHO, it's too limited: only P-TTL/TTL and full-power manual, no auto, no variable output, no wireless, no high-speed. I'd rather use that $50 for, say, an old Pentax AF280T or even AF200T.

Maybe it's just me. I don't trust P-TTL and don't use it unless when I absolutely have to. I do have a Pentax AF540FGZ.

05-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Maybe it's just me. I don't trust P-TTL and don't use it unless when I absolutely have to. I do have a Pentax AF540FGZ.
How do you a like that flash?
05-17-2009, 04:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
If you just need a small flash more powerful than the built-in to carry around then it's a decent deal.

But IMHO, it's too limited: only P-TTL/TTL and full-power manual, no auto, no variable output, no wireless, no high-speed. I'd rather use that $50 for, say, an old Pentax AF280T or even AF200T.
I agree (although I don't generally share your misgivings about P-TTL, more options would always be good). I wish Pentax would put wireless P-TTL in an updated version of this flash (and still keep it priced at around $100). Oh, and add an AF assist light. As it is now, it's not worth anything to me — if I could use it as a supplemental wireless flash, I'd probably buy two.

Since even the K2000 can use the built-in flash as a wireless controller, it'd make sense for Pentax to play into that strength.
05-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if that Metx 36 AF-4's started to appear anywhere in the US, yet, Matt: given it has the AF assist beam, it looks like a pretty good alternative, there, though it seems Ritz is selling off all these Pentax units, anyway, it might be a good time to take advantage of the situation and get one of the fancier units, anyway.

05-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
Currently I have the Pentax K20D and the K100D. I also have the Sigma 530DG super flash. At ritz, they have the Pentax AF200FG for $45+tax. Is that flash worth $50 even if I have the Sigma 530DG super? Can the AF200FG be used in any other way besides mounted on the camera?
are they blowing out any other flash models at Ritz?
05-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
are they blowing out any other flash models at Ritz?
Yes but nothing else for Pentax
05-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

thanks. i have the AF200FG and am thinking i'd like to upgrade to something else.