Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

$50 tethering solution for Pentax.

Anyone ever tried this solution for pentax?

So after using the eye-fi solution for quite a while, I felt it was nice, something useable for simple see the pictures after the shot, but not with any speed. Most professionals want a quick near instant response like that of USB tethered commercial solutions. So with my D300 I thought it would be great to have live view over a wireless connection, and the ability to review photographs taken with a near instant preview. To do this I looked at Nikons WT-4a, a very nice solution with a not so nice price somewhere north of $700. I can't justify that as a non-full time photographer.

I mainly wanted to be able to shoot in a studio environement and see the image and light Q quick and easy. I also thought it would be a great tool for teaching where I can shoot and have everyone see the image. So I had seen that a new USB spec had come out for wireless, and that there were a few devices built extend traditional USB wirelessly. The device I chose to implement my "homebrew" wireless tether was the Cables Unlimited Wireless USB Adapter Kit. I bought mine back in January when I did this project, it was closer to $80 back then, now they can be had for under $40.

So for under $50 you can have wireless USB tethering that will work on most any camera! There a quite a few buts however.

The product supports Windows, BUT not Mac. Sorry guys, although someone else may have a mac compatible product out by now.

Its fast, even faster at transmitting data then the very expensive WT-4a. Being that it is Certified Wireless USB, it can communicate at 480mbits/sec up to 3 meters, and 110mbits/sec up to 10 meters. so speed is really great, BUT it can't do isosynchronous transfer modes. What that means is you can't stream video ie a web cam with this. Luckly Nikon does not use this mode so I get live view just fine!
The images they show make you think it just plugs and plays. BUT a big issue is that it requires a 5 volt power brick on the remote device. So its really wireless usb + AC powerline. This is a problem as it defeats the purpose of wireless tethering. We'll fix this though.

source: Pete's Tech Ramblings...: The $50 wireless tethering solution

05-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For a second there I thought this was the K7 because I saw the metallic camera strap holder. Anyways, good find!
05-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Somone hasn't been paying attention
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/60282-wireless-...-homebrew.html
05-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote

i didn't see any mention of pentax in there

Last edited by vitalsax; 05-17-2009 at 12:52 PM.