Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
D-BG2 impressions...

I know, this topic has probably been beaten to death, but, I'll still throw in my two cents. I bought the grip from -=JoN=- on here (great seller BTW!) and received it yesterday. Mounted it and went to a school function today and shot ~300 pics.

Impressions:
Much better ergonomics, feels much more substantial and solid
Weight is not a big deal
My friends all noticed. (I'm talking about friends who brag about cell phone cams)
The vertical controls are nice, but when I was shooting softball, the grip blocks my view (I like to keep one eye on the ball and one on the upcoming shot) (this is for right handed hitters, left handed is fine)
I was approached by some older men and asked how I liked my camera with that motor drive! Was then asked if it was actually digital.
Finally, I feel more comfortable while carrying it now.

All in all, I feel it was money well spent on the D-BG2, and if this is just the 'same old, same old', I apologize, but I recommend the D-BG2 to anyone who has bigger hands, and or wants vertical controls.

RD

05-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly does transform the look and feel of the K10D/K20D.
Though I don't get how the grip blocks your view at vertical position...
If you've got your right eye through the viewfinder, the left eye should be free to keep an eye on the action. I've probably misunderstood the point.
05-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I got one from a closing Ritz and on the way home I decided I didn't want it. Once you put it on the battery inside the camera is blocked in, with no way to charge it.
05-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Though you can tell which battery needs charging, and if the one on the body needs charging, then it's a 5 second job to unscrew the grip from the body to access the battery.

Or you can just use one battery in the grip...

05-17-2009, 03:15 AM   #5
Dom

I've had my grip for a few day now and I love it.
It looks good as well.
05-17-2009, 05:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
The way it was blocking my sight was that I was shooting pictures of the right handed batters vertically. I was standing on the right side of the field, and usually I can watch the ball with one eye and the batter with the other, but with using the vertical controls, I have to have the viewfinder on the left, which makes it impossible to see the ball before it enters the frame.

Nothing major at all, I can just shoot horizontal, I guess.

RD
05-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
good to read... i'll look forward to my bargain 35GBP bg2 grip arriving sometime soon!

Thanks

Steve

05-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCguy Quote
The way it was blocking my sight was that I was shooting pictures of the right handed batters vertically. I was standing on the right side of the field, and usually I can watch the ball with one eye and the batter with the other, but with using the vertical controls, I have to have the viewfinder on the left, which makes it impossible to see the ball before it enters the frame.

Nothing major at all, I can just shoot horizontal, I guess.

RD
Just shoot with the conventional shutter low, if you need to do that, though you'll have learn to use your left eye, which might be more of a pain than just shooting horizontals, but that's up to you.
05-18-2009, 03:58 AM   #9

Original Poster
I dont mid using my left eye, its just that the pitcher (and the ball) are on the right side of the camera.

RD
05-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

SCGuy,

I agree. I was not really actively looking for a grip, but when I got one for a good price at Ritz, I figured I would try it. Took it to my son's baseball game, and loved it immediately. I just feel like I have a much better grip on the camera, and can hold it steadier. It just feels great to me.
05-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I am expecting mine today or tomorrow (bought on Marketplace).
I am happy to read the positive comments here. My main motive was ergonomics and having big hands, as I have, it seems that this is the solution.

Will get back on this topic
05-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SCguy Quote
I dont mid using my left eye, its just that the pitcher (and the ball) are on the right side of the camera.

RD
A work around would be to turn the camera so that the grip controls are on the bottom where you can at least use your thumb to release the shutter. I used to do the same thing with my old KX when the camera was in the way of the second eye big scene view.
05-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #13

Its funny - I bought the grip about a year ago, and up until about 2 weeks ago, i haven't taken it off. But then i did, and now i love the light weight feel of the camera....

Go figure!!
05-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spun Quote
Its funny - I bought the grip about a year ago, and up until about 2 weeks ago, i haven't taken it off. But then i did, and now i love the light weight feel of the camera....

Go figure!!
Hmmm - do you use long lenses or heavy lenses? I find the grip virtually essential for using the heavier lenses.
05-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm with Albert. Essential for larger lenses. I never take mine off. Seems incomplete without it.

Tom G