Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vanguard Products

I have posted a couple of questions regarding tripods and ballheads trying to figure out what brand to go with.

I have come to the conclusion that for the money you just cannot go wrong with Vanguard SBH-xxx ballheads series.

My question has anyone had any experience with the Vanguard Tripod Tracker Series. For the money they seem to be good way to go. I have found some package deals with the tracker tripod and the sbh-xxx ball head already installed.

I have looked at Slik, Manfrotto and Induro Tripods.

Any insight or experiences from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

05-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't look at heads and tripods anymore after getting my Markins M10. I do have a Vanguard bag though and it's cheap and works very well.
05-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
I have come to the conclusion that for the money you just cannot go wrong with Vanguard SBH-xxx ballheads series.
What makes you say that? Do you have personal experience with them?
05-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gary,

An example would be that I purchased a Induro Ball head and tripod while the product seemed to be just fine quality and all. There were some features that was missing. Dual levels, a compass if you will to make it easier to take pan shots, and then price point. It seems that the Vanguard product includes a lot of features that are usually found on the higher end models. I have also been checking out the manufacturer websites and comparing features and also trying to review feedback on various site to see what people have to say.
One of the final selling points was that I walked into a local camera store and spoke with a salesman and he nothing but good things to say about the vanguard products. At the time they only had the ball heads in stock but he said you can't go wrong with them and they carry a limited lifetime warranty which to me speak highly of what they think of their own product.

Thanks,
Kevin

05-19-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I get around to buying a tripod, it will be the Vanguard Elite Trekker 4, probably in aluminum.

I've played with them in photo shop for probably about 2 hours in all and the build quality is just great and the functions are smooth. I will probably buy a ball head later even though the pan head feels exceptional.

Sorry...no "direct" experience...but compared to a similar Bogen product the Vanguard feels better, is more rugged (more screws on the top plate thinger, while B/M uses a couple screws supplemented by glue), and is cheaper to boot.

Side by side...the Vanguard Quick Release plate system is just plain better than the B/M way. Not "quicker"...only, you know, more secure Screw speed if it can't hold the camera steady.