Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Tenba Mini--how much can I fit?

Hi guys,

After doing a short hike today I came to the realization that I need something better than the Pentax sling bag if I mean to get out regularly this summer. The Tenba Mini is looking pretty good to me, but I'd love to hear from someone who's owned one as to what exactly you can fit in it.

What I want to fit:

K20D (no grip)
DA 70
DA 40
DA 35
DA 21
DA 55-300
DA 18-55 (not essential)

I wouldn't mind having a place (internal or external) to sling a bottle of water, as well.

Secondary question: for anyone who's used both, what's the practical difference in size between the Tenba Mini and Tenba Small? Is it just the added depth for a laptop in the Small model?

Thanks!

05-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got my Tenba mini Shootout yesterday and I've figured out that I can get the following into it:

K20D with Sigma 17-70 attached
DA55-300
1.7x TC
DFA100
Sunpak 383 flash with StoFen diffuser attached
K55/1.8
M28/3.5
FA43
second body (either film or digital) without lens attached

Judging by the gear you've listed, I don't think you'll have a problem fitting all of it into the mini backpack.

Tenba does offer an attachment that goes on the outside and will hold a bottle of water. Since the mini doesn't have a waist strap, I'm not sure how the water bottle holder would work with it.
Tenba - Shootout: Lens/Bottle Caddy

Looking at the specs on Tenba's website, the mini is rated to hold 2 bodies + 4-6 lenses and the small is rated to hold 2 bodies + 5-7 lenses, so it's a little bit bigger.

As I was getting my new mini set up, I also strapped my tripod (BM 190XPROB + BM486RC2 head) onto the back to see how it would work. It fit fine, but the mini wouldn't have worked too well if it had been much bigger. With the bag loaded and the tripod strapped on, I put it on my back and while it was heavy, I think I can still manage it for longer hikes (I'll most likely get a photo vest and tripod strap for shorter hikes). Sizewise, I think it will fit into the overhead compartment of a regional jet, so I don't expect there to be any issues with me carrying the bag onto any plane, unlike with the medium rolling Shootout backpack that I did have.

HTH,
Heather
05-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks much, Heather. I think I'll go for it and if it doesn't work out I'll resell and get the small/medium.
05-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Hi guys,

After doing a short hike today I came to the realization that I need something better than the Pentax sling bag if I mean to get out regularly this summer. The Tenba Mini is looking pretty good to me, but I'd love to hear from someone who's owned one as to what exactly you can fit in it.

What I want to fit:

K20D (no grip)
DA 70
DA 40
DA 35
DA 21
DA 55-300
DA 18-55 (not essential)

I wouldn't mind having a place (internal or external) to sling a bottle of water, as well.

Secondary question: for anyone who's used both, what's the practical difference in size between the Tenba Mini and Tenba Small? Is it just the added depth for a laptop in the Small model?

Thanks!
I've gotten most of that into a small Domke shoulder bag. It wouldn't come close to holding a laptop, though.

06-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Went out for my first hike with the Mini this past weekend. Was about a 7 mile hike and the pack was just about perfect. Slightly heavy and bigger than I need for my gear at the moment, but it feels good on my back and it's easy to use/access vital stuff. I felt pretty confident on water crossings thanks to the water sealing, too. Good stuff!