Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(echoing all the stuff everybody has already said )

I split my usage between tripod (Manf. 190XPro) and monopod (Manf 680B) when I need steadying (the camera, not me!). QR heads on each that use the same plates, so I don't have to change anything on hte camera body. When I travel by air, I don't take the tripod along because of hte bulk, I stick with the monopod. When I drive, I take 'em both. I don't do much in hte way of macros, but I do use the tripod for some of the landscapes I take, for things like panoramic shots, and of course for low-light shots. My longest lens is a 70-300 (wish I could afford a Bigma... ), but I'll often use the monopod even with that, due to the quicker response on catching moving targets. In fact, I was doing that this morning on my way to work, catching some shots of wild turkeys in a field by the road. I needed something, but the tripod was just not the right answer.

Jim

05-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote

So, don't worry too much about what they say as they may not know what they are talking about.

Regards,
Mike
It's equally possible that X Man may not know what he is talking about too.
If you can put the camera on a tripod and still get the shot, you can count on the tripod supported image being technically better.
Every photographer should have at least one good tripod, and should be using it whenever feasible.
05-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The completely unprovoked personal attack not withstanding, your logic is obviously flawed. There are at least equal circumstances where a tripod will hinder or help.

Saying that using a tripod for any given circumstance will automagically produce a "technically" better image, leaves a vast amount out of defining a "technically" superior image. Such as, composition and perspective, spontaneity and speed for a few . Whatever.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you can put the camera on a tripod and still get the shot, you can count on the tripod supported image being technically better.
05-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

We use tripods - when shooting self portraits they sure are handy. Also, when I have my pinhole camera with the 30 second daylight exposure, or any other camera when I'm going for long exposures, such as dusk and night. Oh, and not-so long ones, such as moving water. And long lenses, my shaky hands can get tremendous help from a pod. LOL: lens 'testing' comparisons. The best way to ensure each lens has an equal shot. I'll use a tripod when I want the best technical sharpness possible with a given lens/camera. Yes, the largest jpegs I have got were 10second exposures with a SMC-A 28. No shake = no shake.

These are situations where having the pod is certainly superior to not having it, for me.

05-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another take on tripod use...

Graduation Speech to the Class of ‘09

Cheers...
05-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
What's a tripod?
I think its one of those attacking things from War of the Worlds.
05-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
The completely unprovoked personal attack not withstanding, your logic is obviously flawed. There are at least equal circumstances where a tripod will hinder or help.
I'm one of the "they" that you attacked a few posts earlier, and I was merely making an observation in my response.

QuoteQuote:
Saying that using a tripod for any given circumstance will automagically produce a "technically" better image, leaves a vast amount out of defining a "technically" superior image. Such as, composition and perspective, spontaneity and speed for a few . Whatever.

Regards,
Mike
Mike, give your head a shake and go back and reread the post of mine that you quoted from. What you are saying I said is about as far from what I really said as you can get and still be speaking the same language.