Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Camera Grips

Does anyone use camera hand grips for their DSLR cameras like the Hakuba camera grips or the pentax grip?

I have two full days of shooting and I don't want the K10D + 50-135 hanging off my neck all day.

Last edited by figmental1978; 05-20-2009 at 12:16 AM.
05-20-2009, 05:22 AM   #2

I prefer the hand grip and loved it with my GX-10/K10d but since I upgraded to the K20d with the battery grip I really don't use it anymore. If you're not using the battery grip I would highly recommend the hand grip.
05-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the Pentax grip, I wish that the base of it was metal and not plastic, but other than that, it is very nice, comfy and easy to get on/off and I use mine with the DBG2.
05-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To me, a big problem of the camera hand grip is that sometimes when I need to put the camera down, there is no safe place to put it down. I haven't been able to find a good way to have both the hand grip and the neck trap.

So for long assignment, I use a camera harness. It transfers the weigh of the camera to my shoulders. My neck is thankful for that.

05-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #5

I have a cheap ($10) handgrip that I use in combination with the standard neckstrap. My K10D feels very secure with the handgrip. Also when I hand my camera off to other people, I feel better knowing that there is less of a chance for them to drop it.
05-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had and have handgrips on all the 35mm and DSLR cameras I ever used. With film these usually were incorporated in the motor and now the additional battery packs. I find them indispensable:
- more battery power for longer continous shooting
- more comfortable to holöd the camera, as my small finger otherwise never finds a comfortable place on the camera body
- better balancing with longer/heavier lenses
- additional shutter release etc. for shooting portrait format

I use the grips for the K10 and K20 with a permanently mounted Manfrotto Universal camera plate, which is part of the RC030 quick realeas system. To accomodate a grip strap, I machined a slit into the side of the mounting plate and thus can use the old original Pentax grip straps (from the FDP grip). This works nicely for me.

Ben
05-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I have the Pentax grip, I wish that the base of it was metal and not plastic, but other than that, it is very nice, comfy and easy to get on/off and I use mine with the DBG2.
I have the Pentax hand grip as well. For me, it is very comfortable. It is easy to both 'mount' to my hand as well as remove it when I need to. I use a holster for long days when I might want to rest my arm. The leather and nylon parts are very well made - plus it has 'Pentax' embossed in the leather. I can release my grip on the camera without fear of dropping it. I did swap out the rather cheap plastic bottom plate with a Camdapter. It works great with my RRS quick release clamps. Though I haven't used it, it allows a neck strap to be attached sideways LX style. I like it enough that I won't be going back to neck straps.

Alsmost forgot, I also have the battery grip attached as well. Everything meshes together nicely with my K20D.

05-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
wll
Veteran Member

Hakuba C.Grip PH For Me !

On every DSLR I own I have a Hakuba C.Grip PH attached.

The camera is held secure and it balances nice for me. The wrist strap is what I like the most, as I never fear my fingers letting loose and the camera falling.

My camera is always kept in my camera bag until I'm using it. Letting my camera hang around my neck is out the question, especially since I always have the battery pack attached and I don't want that weight swinging around, possibly bumping into something.

wll