Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, Hold. Welcome here. For your site, I guess, maybe stick on some closer shots of your product: with a thing like this, you never know what odd requirement someone might want to fit. Maybe put it next to a Coke can or something of familiar volume to give an idea of scale.

These may not exactly be 'beauty shots' but you could probably make them available somewhere for those who want to see up close.

This kind of thing can be kind of fussy and personal: I bet some would really like it, for whatever purpose: they'll want as close a look as the Net can provide.

Someone here might be willing to do an informal review, too.
Good suggestions, thank you. I used to have way too much information - detailed dimensions and such and may have gone too far the other way. Instead of the coke can maybe a shot with a camera laying next to it instead of inserted. Kelly

07-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

This looks interesting, Cotton Carrier

Video

Thank you
Russell
07-05-2009, 04:20 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

Mila Jovovitch displays something similiar in the 1997 film 'The Fifth Element'.

I think it looks goofy - even on her.
07-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
interesting products, but I am a belt and suspenders sort of guy and would still wear a neck strap with any of these carriers...I might have missed it but what happens if you fall or lose your footing? Given there is nothing actually holding the camera in place that would seem to prevent it slipping out of the holder if you fall, I would not feel confident in any of them unless I used a strap to back it up. That would not interfere with the quick access.

Loosing your footing while hiking is not something unusual...and I would not be willing to risk $5000 worth of gear to a $50-$100 quick release system. Not like they are going to pay you for your gear if it falls out and breaks.

Just my dollar-two-ninety-eight...

07-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I think that photo of the wedding photographer illustrates nicely one of my points about some clever carrying ideas working better on bigger people. Just imagine putting that same rig on the bride like that.
07-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #21

Original Poster
I went ahead and ordered HoldSLR on May 29. Unfortunately, the diameter of ring rack is too small for my main glasses (DA*16-50, DA*50-135) when they have their hood on. Smaller lenses such as DA 10-17 fish-eye fit, but I don't like the friction between the camera and the rack, and for this particular lens which has almost no hood, you need to use your lens cap to prevent front element from touching the bottom of HoldSLR. I would like to have the rack covered with neoprene or similar material. I have mailed the product to my brother. If he doesn't like it, it will have to go back.

Thanks for the info on Cotton Carrier. I would have tried it if their price was half or third of what it is, or if they were selling the side plate alone at a cheaper price. In any case, I still wish they just sell the clip part only, without the huge plate that makes you look like you are wearing a body armor (but gives you stability, presumably.)

I came across Spider Holster today which looks great. However, its expected price is too high at about $125, and unlike Cotton Carrier which has plate insert, Spider Holster has "ball head" kind of insert into the holder, so the camera moves around in the holder. Looking at the video on their web, Spider Holster is not suitable for walking around.
07-10-2009, 02:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Well, I think that photo of the wedding photographer illustrates nicely one of my points about some clever carrying ideas working better on bigger people. Just imagine putting that same rig on the bride like that.

Doesn't seem ridiculous to me on the woman.

I'm thinking the extra side hostler is what I would really like to buy. I don't use a neck strap, preferring a hand grip/strap. There are times when I would like to have the camera out of the bag, but not in my hands.

Thank you
Russell

07-10-2009, 03:45 AM   #23
Banned

neat product. very unique. but there is no way I would wear that.
07-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote

Doesn't seem ridiculous to me on the woman.
She's also got a smaller rig, there. A gripped K20d or film camera with winder worn like that would really ...stand out? Certainly, for weddings, there's customarily a flash unit involved, as well.

QuoteQuote:
I'm thinking the extra side hostler is what I would really like to buy. I don't use a neck strap, preferring a hand grip/strap. There are times when I would like to have the camera out of the bag, but not in my hands.

Russell
That looks a lot more viable for a lot of things, actually: especially if they make one that'd also be a QR plate for a tripod.
07-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

She's also got a smaller rig, there. A gripped K20d or film camera with winder worn like that would really ...stand out? Certainly, for weddings, there's customarily a flash unit involved, as well.

That looks a lot more viable for a lot of things, actually: especially if they make one that'd also be a QR plate for a tripod.

I see, I thought you were talking about the size of the chest pad, not the size of the load.

I was thinking the same about the mount, that it would be nice if it would work with a tripod mount. I can't see a way they could make something like that though.

Thank you
Russell
07-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I see, I thought you were talking about the size of the chest pad, not the size of the load.

I was thinking the same about the mount, that it would be nice if it would work with a tripod mount. I can't see a way they could make something like that though.

Thank you
Russell
I think I can see a way it could be done. I'm not sure if I can describe it, though.

Say, if you took a regular Arca type plate or one with a similar sort of taper: and view it from the direction it slides. Imagine: if you keep the very bottom, (the part that actually clamps in) just as is, but increase the distance between that and the top, which meets the camera, you could fill what's between with something you could have some holster clip into and out of pretty quickly.

Alternately, I think that those who make the Spider Holster could probably just make a QR clamp for your tripod that'd clamp down nicely on that ball. It reminds me a bit of the Slik U212 I had when I was younger. The head was pretty plasticky, but I liked those quick-release posts, they stuck out a lot, but you could just screw em into or off of your camera whenever you felt like it. Good enough for lots of stuff.
07-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Video

Thank you
Russell
Hey, he's got my setup! (1-series body + 24-105)

That does look really neat, but I think the 400mm I usually carry is just too long, especially since there's no way to keep the lens hood from sliding out when held like that, which adds another 5" or so to it. For smaller glass though, it definitely looks very useful. I dig the quick-detach system.
09-25-2009, 08:12 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaro Quote
Has anyone here tried HoldSLR?

Seems to have a smart design, but I wonder how secure a camera would be when you run or bend over, and how well the camera would be protected from prolonged friction against this product.
The only reviews I could find were those two cited on their website. At $66 shipped per holder without body cover, they are a bit pricey for an amateur like me to test out without community reviews.

Are there other reviews somewhere?
Alternatively, what other products do you know that have similar hook/rack kind of holders? For example, are there camera holders that use the same mechanism as cell phone belt clip?
I am not one to blog or make comments on forums but in this case I will make an exception. I have a HoldSlr and use is all the time in my work as an insurance adjuster. It makes climbing on and off of ladders a breeze. In burned and wet environments finding a place to set a camera down is a real problem unless one does not care about getting his camera wet and or dirty. The HoldSlr is the answer to this problem where my camera is not hanging around my neck bumping into things. In my car I have the HoldSlr hanging from a tool belt belt over the back of my passenger seat where my camera is always in reach and safely secured. I have taken my camera to college football games in the pushing crowds and close quaters without any problem. What do I carry 99% of the time? I use a Nikon D200 with the extra battery grip and an 18-200 lens. do I have any complaints? Only one and that is that my lens hood will not fit through the opening for my lens. I have spoken with Kelly, the inventor, about this so he is aware of this issue. I have a friend who is a fire investigator and he uses one on all his investigations. He was, at first concerned that his smaller SLR and smaler lens would not stay put but they do. This is not a toy or a gimic. It is a useful tool especially for wedding or sports photographers who carry more than one body and want them accessable but not swinging like a pendulum around their neck. The cover which comes with the unit is great for protecting your camera from the elements. I highly recommend the unit and the inventor who is a straight up guy who does what he says he will do and is responsive to your needs.
09-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim W Quote
I am not one to blog or make comments on forums but in this case I will make an exception. I have a HoldSlr and use is all the time in my work as an insurance adjuster. It makes climbing on and off of ladders a breeze. In burned and wet environments finding a place to set a camera down is a real problem unless one does not care about getting his camera wet and or dirty. The HoldSlr is the answer to this problem where my camera is not hanging around my neck bumping into things. In my car I have the HoldSlr hanging from a tool belt belt over the back of my passenger seat where my camera is always in reach and safely secured. I have taken my camera to college football games in the pushing crowds and close quaters without any problem. What do I carry 99% of the time? I use a Nikon D200 with the extra battery grip and an 18-200 lens. do I have any complaints? Only one and that is that my lens hood will not fit through the opening for my lens. I have spoken with Kelly, the inventor, about this so he is aware of this issue. I have a friend who is a fire investigator and he uses one on all his investigations. He was, at first concerned that his smaller SLR and smaler lens would not stay put but they do. This is not a toy or a gimic. It is a useful tool especially for wedding or sports photographers who carry more than one body and want them accessable but not swinging like a pendulum around their neck. The cover which comes with the unit is great for protecting your camera from the elements. I highly recommend the unit and the inventor who is a straight up guy who does what he says he will do and is responsive to your needs.
Hee, well, the inventor's actually showed up here, hopefully taking some feedback to heart. He's got a good concept there, but it's not gonna work for all applications, like most things that attempt to take a device which is shaped to hold in hands and make pictures and... then try to get it to agree with a moving human body. As I mentioned, if you try to fix one of my cameras to my waist, lens down, my effective girth immediately doubles. I lose the advantages of being smaller, but gain all the drawbacks.

'Not accepting a lens hood,' for instance, is a total deal-killer. Immediately turns the holster into more of a PITA than it's worth. You don't carry a big ol' camera and lens around and then leave the hood at home cause it doesn't fit in your belt contraption: you may as well just bring something smaller.

Anything like this is gonna be kind of hit or miss. The more different kinds of stuff are out there, the better it is for everyone.

Also, your cameras should not be 'swinging like a pendulum' under any circumstances. Retain those puppies.

I do think the concept has real potential for use in *cars,* though. Foldey thing that attaches to the center console and lets me put the camera that's in hand right there as I get in, somewhere other than a cup holder? That's a winner. An extravagance on my budget, but a winner. If someone gave me one of those things, that's probably what I'd do with it.
09-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I'll add my 2¢ worth here.

I'm a happy Cotton Carrier user. I used to struggle to transport 2 bodies, my FA*300/2.8, FA* 300/4.5, a reasonably large CF tripod with ball head and Wimberley Sidekick, various TCs and other accessories, a macro lens, and a wide to normal lens, and a tiny fold up stool. Shooting birds and other small critters opportunistically, both cameras had to be available reasonably quickly, and I generally have to walk between 1/2 and 2 miles to get to some prime shooting spots. Comfort and convenience/speed are priorities for me over style (I also use photo vests, so looking geeky is something that doesn't bother me).

With the K20 + FA*300/2.8 (with hood mounted) on the chest unit, and K-7 +FA*300/4.5 (also w/hood in shooting position) on the holster carrier, the Cotton Carrier is easily the best carrying system that I can imagine for lenses like these. At first, I was a little doubtful, but after using this system for a month, I'm a believer. It's a very high quality product throughout, and there is no more comfortable and convenient way for me to carry the bulk and weight of my normal gear while keeping the cameras ready to use at a moment's notice.

It's admittedly pricey, but when I considered that I normally carry over $6K worth of bodies and lenses, this became much less of a restraint. I was a little concerned with the security of the hold when I first got the CC, but I'm 100% confident of my gear's safety at this point. Depending on the angle that you mount the adapter, it takes up to a 90° rotation of the body to release it, and even if the camera did turn this much, it's weight would still keep the adapter deep enough in the holder slot that it wouldn't be able to fully release and fall. I also use Camdapter grip straps, so grabbing either camera with just one hand is still a secure operation.

I also found that by reducing the stress and effort of carrying the gear, I was able to settle down much more quickly, and was physically more capable of properly executing the shots I needed to take.

I don't think I could be more enthusiastic about this product.

Scott