Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I posted this last May.

mickeyobe
Site Supporter

Gallery Photos: 0

Carrying K100D on a Bicycle
I have tried various items for carrying my K100D when bicycling. None were satisfactory.

A handlebar bag had me concerned about vibration on bumpy terrain as did a bag on the rear carrier.

The Op/Tech Camera/Binocular harness was difficult to adjust, awkward to put on, uncomfortable and allowed the camera to hang free and bounce against my chest.

Sometimes the simplest device is the best.

This photo shows my camera hanging around my neck on its usual Op/Tech neck strap adjusted to my preferred working length.
It is secured to my body by an inexpensive elasticized belt.
The belt is fully adjustable and quite comfortable and does not produce torrents of sweat in warm weather.
The belt holds the camera securely against my body even when using drop handlebars.
When the camera is in use the belt is not even felt around my chest.
I prefer to put the belt around the camera lens to keep out of the way and prevent it from banging against anything when I am not on my bike. Occasionally I may place the belt across the bottom front of the camera. It will also hold the camera vertically.
On long walks the belt can be used to relieve the weight of the camera on the neck.
When I put on the belt I slide the buckle around to my side so it cannot mar the camera.

The camera in the picture is a Canon T90 with a Sigma 70 to 210 mm lens. It is substantially heavier than my K100D.

The belt came gratis with a pair of slacks but I have seen some for under $5.00 Can in men's wear stores.
The frown is the result of trying to get a reasonably framed picture shooting with my K100D down at my hips. It took 8 tries.

Mickey
Last edited by mickeyobe; 05-05-2009 at 03:12 PM..

09-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote

You are a brave man Mickey. I've fallen off my bike enough not to want to strap anything to my body like that. Pretty much with anything physical, I would rather lose the equipment than something on or in my body. Mobility when/if I hit really old age is a concern for me now.

For just walking or hiking around, which I think is what has been discussed in this thread, that looks like a very workable solution. Optech has a similar, more expensive commercial solution, but your looks like it will work with a lot more lenses.

I have some 2mm shock cord somewhere in my junk door that I'm going to dig out and try your solution with. I'm thinking I could have a small loop for the lens just sticking out of the shirt, with the actual cord in a larger loop around my body hidden under the shirt. I could tuck the loop back through my shirt when not needed. Although I'm not too worried about how something looks, my wife certainly is, and well, when she's unhappy, I'm unhappy.

Thank you
Russell
09-27-2009, 03:46 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Russell-Evans,

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
You are a brave man Mickey. I've fallen off my bike enough not to want to strap anything to my body like that. Pretty much with anything physical, I would rather lose the equipment than something on or in my body.

I am not brave, but I am a cautious biker.

Mobility when/if I hit really old age is a concern for me now.

77 next month makes me almost ancient.

For just walking or hiking around, which I think is what has been discussed in this thread, that looks like a very workable solution. Optech has a similar, more expensive commercial solution, but your looks like it will work with a lot more lenses.

I have some 2mm shock cord somewhere in my junk door that I'm going to dig out and try your solution with. I'm thinking I could have a small loop for the lens just sticking out of the shirt, with the actual cord in a larger loop around my body hidden under the shirt. I could tuck the loop back through my shirt when not needed.

It sounds like you are making a simple solution complicated. When not needed it rolls up into a small,compact cylinder that can be tucked into any cranny in a camera bag.
I think a loop around the lens will keep it horizontal which is not always the most desirable way to tote a big lens.
Because the belt is flat there is sufficient surface to keep the equipment securely in place by friction. Shock cords are round.

Although I'm not too worried about how something looks, my wife certainly is, and well, when she's unhappy, I'm unhappy.

Those belts come in many snazzy colours. I am sure that one could be found to match the most glamorous and demanding of tastes. You might let your wife choose what makes her happy.

Mickey
Thank you
Russell
Mickey (I am not a belt salesman.)

Last edited by mickeyobe; 09-27-2009 at 03:52 AM.
09-27-2009, 05:45 AM   #34

two 300mm?

Hello Scott,

I know it's not really my business but why the need for two 300 mm lenses? Why isn't just the FA*300/2.8 enought? Can't the lens be stopped down?

I know the f/4.5 is smaller and lighter and that is a good reason to own one but why carry both at the same time?

All the best,

Luis

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I'll add my 2¢ worth here.

I'm a happy Cotton Carrier user. I used to struggle to transport 2 bodies, my FA*300/2.8, FA* 300/4.5,

(...)

With the K20 + FA*300/2.8 (with hood mounted) on the chest unit, and K-7 +FA*300/4.5 (also w/hood in shooting position) on the holster carrier,

Scott

09-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lpfonseca Quote
Hello Scott,

I know it's not really my business but why the need for two 300 mm lenses? Why isn't just the FA*300/2.8 enought? Can't the lens be stopped down?

I know the f/4.5 is smaller and lighter and that is a good reason to own one but why carry both at the same time?

All the best,

Luis
Hi Louis,

I really rarely use them at 300mm. With good light, I'll have a Sigma EX 1.4x and Pentax F 1.7x AFA stacked on the 300/2.8 and another F 1.7x AFA or Tamron 1.4x AF TC on the 300/4.5, so I'll be shooting at 714/ f6.7 off the tripod and either 510/7.7 or 420/6.3 handheld. On overcast days, I'll usually have the Sigma 1.4x or the AFA on the 300/2.8 and use the 300/4.5 without a TC so I'd have a 420/4 or 510/4.8 on the pod and a 300/4.5 HH.

I mentioned the lenses so that people would be able to get an idea of the size/weight of the two cameras being carried in addition to the other gear since this thread is about carry gear.

Good question though. . . and now I know at least one person read my post. . .

Scott
12-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #36
Inactive Account

What about this?

Hello I'm new here. My name is Andrea.
I use a b-grip (camera belt grip) and I can say that it's very useful, easy to carry. You don't need to be armoured like in the cotton carrier, you only need a belt.
B-grip - The camera belt grip
a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w2pIHNA9Hs
Attached Images

Last edited by kento; 12-29-2009 at 11:00 AM.
12-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #37
Veteran Member

That is pretty cool. Is the mount able to be used in a tripod?

Thank you
Russell

12-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Thanks Russel, yes there is a universal head for tripods that fits the b-grip plate.
Moreover the bgrip plate has a rotating arm that allows to use it as a pedestal.
(Apologize for my english)
12-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Thanks Russel.
CPtech is now studying a universal head for tripods that fits the b-grip plate.
12-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #40

Where can one get this b-grip and what does it cost?
12-30-2009, 01:44 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Well...honestly, I'm the inventor (the man in the picture is me) and general manager of CPtech. Sorry I didn' told you before.
We are starting now the distribution worldwide.
The b-grip will be available in Italy the first week of January and also in many european countries in the same period.
About USA we think it will be in shops on february. First stocks are already on the way to Canada,UK, Russia, Greece and many others
The startup is always quite slow, but I'm sure you will find it on-line very soon.
We are doing our best to be as faster as possible.
12-30-2009, 03:08 AM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by StRobinson Quote
... what does it cost?
About the price I cannot tell you exactly because it depends on many factors, but it will be around 75/80/85 I suppose.
The kit includes an handy waterproof camera cover (that's also a good protection against scratches and dust) and an optional safety buckle.
12-30-2009, 06:14 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just emailed you, HoldSLR. What I'm looking for is something along those lines which can hold my K20D + 1.7x TC + DA*300mm (with hood). I'd want to shoulder strap it, though--don't want that rig on my chest or dangling from a belt (somewhere along the line, I seem to have lost my butt to the point where a belt can't even reliably hold my pants up ;~)
12-30-2009, 06:36 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Just to explain, I've been looking for the term "dangle" that I didn't know.
It means something hanged that moves like a bell, ding dong....
Well b-grip does not dangle absolutely, it makes the camera gripped to the body, and one cannot lose it in any way, this is the real advantage. Moreover one can use the pants belt or an additional belt .
Look at this...if interested of course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfFslEeakbA

Last edited by kento; 12-30-2009 at 07:21 AM. Reason: correction
12-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I just emailed you, HoldSLR. What I'm looking for is something along those lines which can hold my K20D + 1.7x TC + DA*300mm (with hood). I'd want to shoulder strap it, though
Would something like this work?

Kirk Enterprises : Kirk Security Strap

Thank you
Russell