Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #1

HoldSLR (camera holster/rack) reviews?

Has anyone here tried HoldSLR?

Seems to have a smart design, but I wonder how secure a camera would be when you run or bend over, and how well the camera would be protected from prolonged friction against this product.
The only reviews I could find were those two cited on their website. At $66 shipped per holder without body cover, they are a bit pricey for an amateur like me to test out without community reviews.

Are there other reviews somewhere?
Alternatively, what other products do you know that have similar hook/rack kind of holders? For example, are there camera holders that use the same mechanism as cell phone belt clip?

Last edited by Pentaro; 05-20-2009 at 07:39 AM.
05-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaro Quote
Has anyone here tried HoldSLR?

Seems to have a smart design, but I wonder how secure a camera would be when you run or bend over, and how well the camera would be protected from prolonged friction against this product.
The only reviews I could find were those two cited on their website. At $66 shipped per holder without body cover, they are a bit pricey for an amateur like me to test out without community reviews.

Are there other reviews somewhere?
Alternatively, what other products do you know that have similar hook/rack kind of holders? For example, are there camera holders that use the same mechanism as cell phone belt clip?

Eh, I dunno, the site doesn't seem any too anxious to show the item close-up, and its utility looks quite limited: maybe nice for something smallish with a long lens, and no grip or drive or flash on there, but not much else: like if you were on a location and wanted to carry a second body with a zoom on there, aren't carrying a bag, and weren't worried about it getting lifted or anything, it could be convenient. The collapsibility could be nice, but I'm not feeling it for general use.

My impression would be... If you haven't been crying out for just the thing, something more conventional might do you better.

I'd certainly avoid trying to use cell phone type clips to hold a camera, but there might be something among police/fire/EMS or military equipment that you could use for that kind of job.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-20-2009 at 02:46 PM.
05-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what you're after to do with it, but I saw this bottomless holster from Kinesis, which would be kind of similar. Kinesis as a brand many people recommend around here. I don't have any experience with this model though.

Kinesis Photo Gear [C-Series] Camera & Lens Holster Cases
05-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
I'm not sure what you're after to do with it, but I saw this bottomless holster from Kinesis, which would be kind of similar.
Thanks for the info. Yes, the bottomless holster seems similar to HoldSLR in concept, but to me, HoldSLR seems more lean.

I'm not looking for a way to store or transport the camera; rather, I'm looking for the smartest way to draw/shoot/holster quickly. The idea is to carry two cameras (e.g. one with wide-angle zoom and the other with telephoto zoom) and quickly change camera depending on the situation. I could achieve this by hanging two cameras on both shoulders diagonally or on neck using two different lengths of straps, but the cameras will be swinging a lot in both styles.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'd certainly avoid trying to use cell phone type clips to hold a camera, but there might be something among police/fire/EMS or military equipment that you could use for that kind of job.
I wonder how news reporters do it? Most of them that I've seen just use shoulder/neck straps and sometimes a harness, but shouldn't something like HoldSLR be a better solution for them? If not, why? (HoldSLR has 102mm opening and tested for 9kg cameras, according to their website.)

05-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaro Quote
Thanks for the info. Yes, the bottomless holster seems similar to HoldSLR in concept, but to me, HoldSLR seems more lean.

I'm not looking for a way to store or transport the camera; rather, I'm looking for the smartest way to draw/shoot/holster quickly. The idea is to carry two cameras (e.g. one with wide-angle zoom and the other with telephoto zoom) and quickly change camera depending on the situation. I could achieve this by hanging two cameras on both shoulders diagonally or on neck using two different lengths of straps, but the cameras will be swinging a lot in both styles.

I wonder how news reporters do it? Most of them that I've seen just use shoulder/neck straps and sometimes a harness, but shouldn't something like HoldSLR be a better solution for them? If not, why? (HoldSLR has 102mm opening and tested for 9kg cameras, according to their website.)

Could work in your particular application, I guess, though I'd still be worried about it getting lifted or in the way in a crowd. Generally how I'd run two bodies would be simply to rotate between bag, shoulder-slung strap (same shoulder) and hand. If there's a big body like medium format involved, that gets worn on strap around the neck once it's out. Kind of a triangular sort of flow: Everything's controlled that way. You could work a holster like that into a similar scheme if you weren't carrying a bag anyway and both cameras fit, though, I suppose.

(Oh, I should probably mention that I'm more skeptical than most about a lot of clever belt-carrying type systems: being smaller, I tend to find them more ungainly than others might. if I were to wear a camera on my right side I'd feel about twice as wide: when it comes to covering things in crowds I need to be able to thread my way through if I can't get people's attention. If everything I'm wearing is on the left, that can sort of trail behind and I can move it around as I need to, while keeping my hands on everything: very habitual motions. )

*further musing* I do like the unfoldeyness idea, though. I could see it for like concerts or something: once you're actually in position, you could have a little marsupial action going on right in front. I'd have to use the other kind, though: I just never use two lenses physically-long enough to hold the camera into the 'holdslr' thing, at least since I did scholastic sports with film. It's a beauty of gadgetry, though, stuff evolves. Got to encourage the inventors. If I find I just can't keep up with shooting for a sideline, I figure I can stay in the field by making stuff, myself.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-21-2009 at 08:19 PM.
05-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Looks like something my Dominatrix would make me wear.
05-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Well, I suppose that's *one* way to get your gear carried.

05-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
She could find other ways for you to carry a lens. No holster required.
05-23-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
She could find other ways for you to carry a lens. No holster required.
It would have to be one of the weather sealed lenses though.
06-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
Inactive Account

HoldSLR reviews

Hey there,

I am the inventor of the HoldSLR and saw your post about the security of your camera in the HoldSLR. That is a question that I get all the time and I realize I really hadn't done a good job on the wbe site addressing it. I have just posted several new videos on the site showing the product in actual use to help people see how well it works. I can also tell you that I have hiked, biked (also a video on this), riden ATV's and horses with the device and my own cameras - it really works great. I am a serious amateur but don't have the money to replace my own cameras so this has been a very important point to me. Not only are the cameras secure with both short and long lenses, but the boot also protects your valuable lenses from bumps and bruises - even when climbing rocks or swishing through the trees on a bike.

As for the wear from teh device, again this is personally important to me, the product is coated with a vinyl similar to a kitchen strainer. The first few prototypes didn't have the coating so I added that to address your specific concern. BTW, your camera body only contacts the device at two points - the notch between your lens and the face plate and the lower body which rests on one of the boot straps. So there isn't a lot of room for wear even if there wasn't a coating.

Most importantly, the product comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I haven't had a single return in the hundreds of the product I have sold so far, but if it doesn't work for you, just send it back and I will refund 100% of your money (less the $6 USPS priority mail shipping charge). Hope that helps and feel free to e-mail me through the web site if you have any more questions. Kelly
06-19-2009, 05:34 AM   #11

Yeah, but will it work with the telescopic lens?
06-19-2009, 06:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HoldSLR Quote
Hey there,

I am the inventor of the HoldSLR and saw your post about the security of your camera in the HoldSLR. That is a question that I get all the time and I realize I really hadn't done a good job on the wbe site addressing it. I have just posted several new videos on the site showing the product in actual use to help people see how well it works. I can also tell you that I have hiked, biked (also a video on this), riden ATV's and horses with the device and my own cameras - it really works great. I am a serious amateur but don't have the money to replace my own cameras so this has been a very important point to me. Not only are the cameras secure with both short and long lenses, but the boot also protects your valuable lenses from bumps and bruises - even when climbing rocks or swishing through the trees on a bike.

Kelly
Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum.

I think obviously those who have a battery grip could just turn the camera around so the top of the camera is against your chest, provided that the forward weight of the battery grip does not help make the camera slip out when bending forward. Maybe on future designs, a sort of ring can be used inside the material with tabs on the outside that you can pinch together to open the ring larger when putting the lens and camera in the HoldSLR. Or even a flap over the top that connects with velcro. Some people are particular about their LCD screens when walking in brush and forests.
Price points are probably a key here as well. It looks like it is simple and inexpensive to make so most people would hope that it is inexpensive to buy. I did not bother to see what the msrp for the thing was.
I would say it looks promising for many people but would really like to see my camera in it before ultimately buying one. That's where his money back guarantee may come into play for some.
And I must admit it was a little painful watch the guy climb up that path, probably for the tenth time for the video. Please tell me that that is full weight in his backpack and it was the end of a long day of filming. (Too harsh? Ah well. The Internet is all make believe anyway.)
06-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Thanks for the post. The pro bodies and camera grips fit fine with the camera body rotated 90 degrees - no need to turn the camera all the way around. The MSRP in a retail store is $74.95 which includes the HoldSLR and the camera body cover to protect your LCD screen and the rest of the body.

As for seeing your camera in it - until it gets out there in retail more that might be tough. Is there anything I can add to the site - more painful videos <grin> or photos at different angles that would help that point? Thanks.
06-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks for the post. The pro bodies and camera grips fit fine with the camera body rotated 90 degrees - no need to turn the camera all the way around. The MSRP in a retail store is $74.95 which includes the HoldSLR and the camera body cover to protect your LCD screen and the rest of the body.

As for seeing your camera in it - until it gets out there in retail more that might be tough. Is there anything I can add to the site - more painful videos <grin> or photos at different angles that would help that point? Thanks.
Maybe get Billy Mays or the Shaw Wow guy to do a commercial spot for late night, digital converted broadcast tv. That would win. Or show us how a swimwear model wears it in the pool or during a pillow fight.
Oh now I have gone off the track. But look at all the traffic you are getting to this post.
06-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hey, Hold. Welcome here. For your site, I guess, maybe stick on some closer shots of your product: with a thing like this, you never know what odd requirement someone might want to fit. Maybe put it next to a Coke can or something of familiar volume to give an idea of scale.

These may not exactly be 'beauty shots' but you could probably make them available somewhere for those who want to see up close.

This kind of thing can be kind of fussy and personal: I bet some would really like it, for whatever purpose: they'll want as close a look as the Net can provide.

Someone here might be willing to do an informal review, too.