Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
You should also look at the Kata 3N1-20 or 3N1-30 bags ... customizable with the myriad of pockets (not to mention the D-rings which I used in combination with some metal rope combined a tripod).

Hope this helped!
Hi GLXLR,
I also have Kata 3N1-30. I agree that this bag is amazing. Very versatile for even different weird purposes we need.

I have a question about that D-rings you mentioned above. Are you talking about the ring on the front?
If yes, what do you mean with metal rope combined a tripod? Are you hanging the tripod there? I'm interested to see this.

Btw, right now there is an ongoing promotion for tripod holder exclusively made for this bag.

06-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I bought an ape case (large)...plenty of room for 3+ lenses and flash. Lots of pockets for other stuff as well, and for under $50 I think it's a great deal. No weather proofing though I don't think.

Amazon.com: Ape Case Pro for Digital Slr Cameras Large Size By: Norazza: Electronics
06-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I just purchased the Domke F-3X, it is a great bag and it holds my K10D and about 4 lenses. It is very comfortable to carry and does not scream out as a camera bag. I found this review on the internet and it has detail pictures and description, hope this will help.

Domke F-3X Super Compact bag review - rebaseonu.net
06-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got a M-Rock Olympic sling bag for daytrips and it's been really nice for the few weeks and trips I've had it for. I carry my K20D with either the 16-45 or the 28-75 attached and then 70-300 for longer reach. In addition, I can get lens hoods, lens cleaning supplies and a couple of filters in the camera compartment. It doesn't get too heavy with what I listed and it's got a great back panel that allows for air flow down and around your back. I was out in 90% humidity and 90 temps and I didn't feel like my back was on fire. It's a tight fit if you want to carry personal items but if you stick to minimal supplies you can make it work, like small wallet or money clip with cards, sunglasses and mobilephone. Haven't needed the rain cover yet but it seems to be useless because then you have to take the bag off and carry it by the handle. I may look for a cover that can just slip over the pack when it's on though. Overall it is comfortable to carry if you don't overload it but for hiking you would be better served with a backpack.

I looked at the ClikElite Compact Sport pack but it was rather costly compared to what I was willing to spend. Looks really comfortable and light but haven't heard much about these packs. It can hold a hydration bladder for hiking also and has attachment points for accessory pouches and bags. Cool color too!

Good luck and hope you find a nice bag. It's the never-ending journey!

06-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Hi GLXLR,
I also have Kata 3N1-30. I agree that this bag is amazing. Very versatile for even different weird purposes we need.

I have a question about that D-rings you mentioned above. Are you talking about the ring on the front?
If yes, what do you mean with metal rope combined a tripod? Are you hanging the tripod there? I'm interested to see this.

Btw, right now there is an ongoing promotion for tripod holder exclusively made for this bag.
I have a sturdy "bendable" "twistable" stick thing. Its covered in Red foam and about 8" long . I usually get the tripod head and get two sticks connected to D-rings and to the tripod head. Although it isn't very safe in the city as anyone could pull it off and run off with it, it is very sturdy while climbing rocks, jumping down small ledges, and traveling very steep hills. I can't take a picture of it since I only borrowed from a good friend of mine (he had his equipment inside as well so I was like a pack mule ).

I also looked at the tripod holder and it looks like a great add on (a little on the expensive side for a piece of fabric with clips on it). The only problem with it is that it blocks access to the main compartment, so changing equipment will be difficult. unless you remove the tripod holder. I think I might just get a Gorillapod instead!
06-27-2009, 06:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Domke F-6!
06-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

You may want to consider the Crumpler 6 Million Dollar shoulder bag. I'm using one and it's perfect for what you said you will be carrying with you

It's stylist, very well padded and doesn't scream "Expensive Cameras Inside"

Amazon list them: Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Crumpler 6 MILLION DOLLAR HOME Shoulder Photo Bag (Dark Brown/Oatmeal/Light Olive)

Read the many reviews there and you'll be convinced

07-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #23

I use the Lowepro Off Road Camera Beltpack but just had a case of sticker shock.

You might want to try either Lowepro Off Trail 1 or Lowepro Off Trail 2.

I usually change one side case to a water bottle case.
07-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote here for Domke...

Chris
07-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Slingshot 200.

My Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW with my home made insert. I found the Velcro inserts provided did not suit my needs. My fault. Not Lowepro's. So I used a campers' sleeping pad made of closed cell foam ($10 - $15 Can). It is about 1/4" thick, 20" wide x 6' long and cuts easily with a scissors or Exacto knife. It is tough and lint and crumble free and offers excellent protection against bumps. One pad will suffice for many projects.

e.g. One small 3"x 6" piece and 5 minutes work gives me a platform to keep my batteries from rolling around when being tested. It tales tiny button cells and AAA up to D cells.

The camera in the photo is a Canon T90 for which this insert was not designed. It was made for my Pentax K100d

Empty Slingshot and easily removed insert. Camera manual in a Zip Lock bag always ready beneath the insert.
All equipment is still accessible with the bag half open.

The ugly but useful insert. Long rectangle on left is for Tamron Adaptall 80 to 210mm lens. A strip of foam across the front of it keeps the lens from sliding out. The strip is secured on the side by a small piece of Velcro. Lens on right is SMC Pentax 12 to 24mm DA. An extremely wide brute when with its lens hood. Centre section will take the Pentax K100D with any of the three lenses mounted. The triangular flap in front of the W/A lens compartment keeps the camera securely in its place. The open rectangular cut at the bottom front is for a mesh pocket in the Slingshot. I now always put the lens cap in it so I don't lose them any more.

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 07-03-2009 at 09:38 PM.
07-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #26
Forum Member

I too have the Kata 3-n-1 30 and love it. Found it just seems easier to adjust/modifiy the inside compartments, spacers etc. than the other bags.