Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Custom strap mount

I, like a lot of others, can't stand the standard neck strap on my K200. I've looked around at after market shoulder straps etc and the most promising of the lot - R-Strap - didn't seem to be exactly what I wanted. What I didn't like about the R-Strap was the way it used the tripod mount and stuck out the bottom, adding to the size and anchoring from the bottom of the camera.

My solution is to add a mount in-between the body the battery grip. This has the advantage of not getting in the way and allowing the camera to hang lens down naturally (required with long, heavy lenses). I've used this on vacation, hiking and for general shooting for a few weeks now and love how easy it is to carry now. It's easy to bring up to use, comes to hand naturally and I can wear it over my backpack without issue.

I tried a few different options to make it, including; a single piece of metal, metal wire and contemplated using material (probably canvas) with metal loops. While visiting Home Depot for better materials I stumbled upon ring hangers (pictured below) that looked promising and worth the couple of bucks to try. After drilling the hole larger for the grip screw and flattening the metal flush with the loop, it mounted perfectly and has been on my camera since with an old Optech nylon shoulder strap attached.

This design is not perfect and I intend refining it when I can. The thickness of the metal prevents the grip from sitting fully against the camera, but the contacts still work fine for the grip buttons. I was wary that the clip from the strap might impact and scratch or break the LCD, but this has not happened at all (I'm still looking for a plastic clip to substitute).

I'd like any feedback or suggestions for improvement, but I am very happy with how well this works.

05-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm. If you used something strong, but reasonably-compressible, maybe a woven tube or band some strong material, you could loop it around your grip just so, and tighten it all in place, hanging from there? As long as it didn't pinch so tightly that the fibers didn't want to break, you could attach a hanger to a loop in there and do the same?

(I'm trying to think of a suitable material. Hose insulation made for like a hot rod's fuel line, maybe? )

It'd be like... take off your battery grip. Then take a piece of string and lay it across the top to form a V where the tripod screw is in the middle there, the v spreading out from where you are and leaving enough to attach something to. Then take each side of the V and bend em down, under, up, and back to somewhereou could tie to that useful loop on each side.

As long as you made that out of strong enough stuff to take the pinching, you could have an attachment point theremaybe with the grip not so far off the body.

Alternately, you could use what you've got and just gasket the intervening space you've made with something?
06-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the thoughts Ratmagiclady.

I hadn't thought of a gasket. I'll see what I can find that won't make any permanent change.

I'm not sure about the loop around the grip. It would change the centre of gravity of the mount and I want it as central to the body as possible.

Anyone else wish to comment!!! I really can't express how much better the camera is to carry like this.
06-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is why some of the larger lenses have a D-link attachment on thier tripod mounts. (Other than making them easier to carry on a belt/shoulder strap).

Last edited by chalion; 06-02-2009 at 04:53 PM.
06-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how much I would trust that with a heavy lens and with the seperation on the grip, you loose some stability if you use a tripod.

How about just using one side mount like I do?

06-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I don't know how much I would trust that with a heavy lens and with the seperation on the grip, you loose some stability if you use a tripod.

How about just using one side mount like I do?
I've had zero trouble with the reliability of the mount and I've had my DA* 300mm attached a lot lately. The grip still screws on tight and stays tight.

How do you find the way the single side mount hangs? The great thing about my way is that it hangs straight down with minimal rotation or movement while walking.
06-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I do like your idea, Horseman. If it fits up nice and solid, well, maybe you could go ahead and do the gasket idea. You could probably actually use some gasket material from an auto shop: I believe it comes in all thicknesses you could want and cuts easily. There is also hard sheet rubber for like block printing, (Art supply stores for this, I think) which should work, though it's a little harder to shape. You could probably just tack that in place on the grip with a little sticky stuff of your choice and count on the pressure to hold it in place.

06-03-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I would say my way of doing it will make the camera move a little when you're walking because it doesn't point straight down. Not an issue for me but maybe not what you want.
06-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I like your idea, Light Horseman. It eliminates my one complaint about the R-Strap. I think I'll try it out myself after a trip to Home Depot. Might even route out a slot in the grip to make it fit flush...