Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newer Lowepro Novas

I'm looking at one of these as seemingly a good moderate size, (the 190, ) ...and waffling a little... Namely, it's down to the point of, for anyone who has or has seen in person:

Is the front pocket still something that'll hold a few boxes of film? (My old Nova 3 is fine) These things are starting to look kind of thin in that regard, there.

05-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Is the front pocket still something that'll hold a few boxes of film?
I have this bag. I think the front pocket is big enough for a few boxes of roll film. I'll try it when I get home (at work now).
05-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Both front pockets can hold a few (3-5) boxes of 35mm film. You can put them in various ways, with or without the paper box.

Name:  bag1.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  bag2.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  bag3.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  65.5 KB

A lot of stuff can be packed into Nova 190 AW. It is too big for me, don't have many things to put into it...
05-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Both front pockets can hold a few (3-5) boxes of 35mm film. You can put them in various ways, with or without the paper box.

A lot of stuff can be packed into Nova 190 AW. It is too big for me, don't have many things to put into it...
Thanks, Simico! Wasn't really able to tell from online pics.

05-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm looking at one of these as seemingly a good moderate size, (the 190, ) ...and waffling a little... Namely, it's down to the point of, for anyone who has or has seen in person:

Is the front pocket still something that'll hold a few boxes of film? (My old Nova 3 is fine) These things are starting to look kind of thin in that regard, there.
i am supprised here , i really did not know people still use film

Dave
05-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
i am supprised here , i really did not know people still use film

Dave
Heehee, yeah, this is why I'm looking at a bag in this size neighborhood: I'm kind of carrying two systems at a time a lot, and I kind of like things to be a bit less tight, so I can bring that one more lens or whatnot, when I want to without going to the really big bag (I call this my 'caboose' ) and fuss a bit less about things fitting in, too. Seems like this'll probably be adequate, or a bit more than.
05-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Heehee, yeah, this is why I'm looking at a bag in this size neighborhood: I'm kind of carrying two systems at a time a lot, and I kind of like things to be a bit less tight, so I can bring that one more lens or whatnot, when I want to without going to the really big bag (I call this my 'caboose' ) and fuss a bit less about things fitting in, too. Seems like this'll probably be adequate, or a bit more than.
i learned about bags the hard way. the first time i get to see one , is only after i have bought it, and have it shipped to me. then i realise , its too big, too small, too wide, too narrow, dont like the colour, like the colour, but now its too big.
6 bags in 6 months and still not satisfied

Dave

05-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
i learned about bags the hard way. the first time i get to see one , is only after i have bought it, and have it shipped to me. then i realise , its too big, too small, too wide, too narrow, dont like the colour, like the colour, but now its too big.
6 bags in 6 months and still not satisfied

Dave

I think we could really have like a bag-swappin'-around club here, they're that sort of item you really *want* to shop for in person, but very few places have stuff to compare in stock in all the combinations, and most of us can't get to them.

I'd really kind of rather have something more canvas-satchelley looking, but I'm usually pretty safe with Lowepro on functionality, (and that's just cause generally they seem to have a design philosophy I can work with pretty easily, just personally) ...even as I worry a bit most bags are trending toward being more and more just for certain kinds of digital kit. I'm sure eventually, (especially when the shape of my kit is really settled for a while, I'll end up just getting, making, or altering something to be just right. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-25-2009 at 08:36 PM.
06-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, the Nova 190 I ordered finally got purchased and arrived, after a bit more waffling and shopping on my part. (Thanks again for the pics, Simico) ...Ought to work out pretty well.

Certainly is about the right volume: I can see how it'd be rather big for a small kit, but with some judicious velcro-fussing and padding-swapping, it hits what I'm looking for: which is basically carrying two small prime lens systems and some bulkyish bodies to go with. (What I've got in here right now is basically a K20d with grip, an old Canon F-1N with winder, each lens-down, and three prime lenses for each, (counting one on each camera) all with hoods comfortably-deployed: the Canon is almost the exact size from the back as the K20d, just has a taller prism and a big winder grip on the front: the way I have things oriented, I had to put in a taller piece of padding from a different bag to prevent the Canon's hot shoe from being able to rub against the Pentax's grip. You could also just turn one the other way. ) Still with room for a stack of filters, (Or a pancake lens, I suppose) and I could squeeze other oddments in there. Batteries, film, whatnot.

If you were carrying two bodies and only one had a grip on, you could easily make a couple-few of those lenses tall things like a long zoom and/or full-sized flash.

I'll also note that the 'chocolate brown' color which looks like a greyish tan on online pics on my monitor is neither: it's sort of a noncommittal grey-greenish dark taupe like an old trenchcoat, and an olive-drab-ish 'breen' color. (Not to make it sound *bad,* I'm a big fan of earth tones, anyway. Looks nice. ) Ought to go well with outdoorsey things, though. Kind of looks like a soft cooler you might take beer camping in.

That front pocket looks OK, (if puffed out by an all-weather cover that might just end up getting ironed on very-low heat or something. I'd be tempted to remove that cover if this weren't actually kind of the land of pop-up downpours. ) ...our friends at Lowepro let me down a little about that pocket only having one zipper pull, and that opening way down low enough to potentially let stuff get dumped out: I may have to sew part of that zipper up to prevent this. I gather this is cause digital folks will put things in the inside-the-pocket-pockets, but I might need to put analog things in there.

All in all, should work for me and my kinda-quirky ways: it'll hold as much in glass and cameras as I'm usually wanting to carry around without being too heavy of itself: it's kind of the 'a little more breathing room' I've been looking for.