Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pondering a sling bag...

I've been pondering getting a new bag for my gear, and I'm considering a sling bag, since there's been more than one occasion where I've been caught flat-footed with my K-20 in my current bag (a Canon 200EG I got on sale a while back), and of course the shot was gone by the time I fished the camera out. I'm also starting to get paranoid about the fact that my bag doesn't have a rain cover-the flaps over the zippers don't really seem to be worth much in that department. It's also slides about a bit when I'm carrying it (it's sternum strap doesn't help much either), which is getting to be annoying, especially as I typically wear the bag all day when I'm about taking pictures. I admittedly don't like spending money on something that isn't a lens or a camera body, but I think the time's come to bite the bullet and be done with it. I want one that'll hold my camera with my 70-200mm f2.8c mounted on it, so the bag will have to be large, and I'm currently considering these three:

Tamrac Velocity 10 Sling bag.
+It's the cheapest of the three
+It appears to have a mesh back.
-It doesn't have a rain cover, like the other two do
-The one shoulder strap could be problematic over an all-day tromp-about

Kata 3N1-30 Sling/Backpack (this one I'm currently leaning towards)
+It has a versatile strap system (I was thinking I could wear it with the straps crossed over my chest, and just pop off one strap to quickly sling it over when needed.
+Has a rain cover
-No mesh back, so I'll be sweating more under it
-Tripod attachment for the bag is extra (but the other two don't even have an option for tripods, so it's kinda moot)

LowePro Slingshot 350 AW
+Appears to be the largest of the three (ie, I can stuff more stuff into it)
+Has a mesh back and a raincover
-Has only the one shoulder strap
-Is the most expensive of the three.

And I almost forgot, this is what I'd like the bag to be able to carry:

Pentax K20d and two spare batteries for it
Sigma 70-200mm 2.8
Tamron 1.4X teleconverter
Pentax FA 50mm 1.4
Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4 (not an absolute necessity, but it would be nice to lug it along, as I don't have a true wide-angle lens that I like)
Pentax 540 flash (not an true necessity either, but I'd prefer to have it and not need it than yadda yadda.)
Memory card wallet
4 circular polarizers of various size (I use lens hoods, so stepping rings aren't any good to me)
Rainsleeve for the camera (my lenses aren't weatherproof), bulb blower, filter rings, and spare flash batteries.

I should add that I thought about a harness-type system instead, but I'm not too crazy about trying to carry a 70-200mm lens in a hip pouch or something, as I'm a klutz and could easily bang it against something-the bags would offer more protection from that.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

05-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would say go for the KATA 3N1.

I have tried several other sling bags and over time it weighs to much on the one shoulder. I used a Lowepro and an M-Rock. The M-Rock had a much better shape. It has a better shape than the KATA too but the KATA has the better strap system.

I currently use a KATA 3N1-10 with the straps crossed. It works very well. They come with a media wallet too. The 30 should have plenty of room for you needs. A while back they were selling the tripod attachment together with the 3N1's but this deal is over. I don't think they are even selling the tripod attachment as an accessory either now. It was expensive too any way. Like half the cost of the bag. Which was odd because they were giving them away for free with the purchase of a bag last summer.

One last note the KATA's are very well made with sturdy materials.
05-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the LowePro Slingshot 350 AW .I use the 20D with the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and have heaps of room for the Metz 48 sigma 17-70,sigma 70-300,pentax 55-300 Tamron TC Kenko TC Pentax 50mm f/1.4 and 1/2 dozen memory cards,and as you said it comes with a raincoat

cheers
05-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kata, no contest. I have several Kata bags including the 3n1-20 (the 30 was just too big for me). Very well made, zippers are tight enough to be almost water-sealed (and it comes with a raincover), ambidextrous and convertible, and the camera slot (after you flip the sling forward) can hold a K20D with grip and 50-135 and keep it in place even if the zipper isn't closed (with velcro and a pinch-clip, but that's up to your confidence to determine).

Way faster draw than my R-102 Backpack, but for durability and load carrying, the Kata backpacks are still king.

Oh yeah, and considering all the gear you are planning to pack in that thing, I hope you are a strong "klutz" and your tripod is carbon-fiber!

05-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Kata, no contest. I have several Kata bags including the 3n1-20 (the 30 was just too big for me). Very well made, zippers are tight enough to be almost water-sealed (and it comes with a raincover), ambidextrous and convertible, and the camera slot (after you flip the sling forward) can hold a K20D with grip and 50-135 and keep it in place even if the zipper isn't closed (with velcro and a pinch-clip, but that's up to your confidence to determine).

Way faster draw than my R-102 Backpack, but for durability and load carrying, the Kata backpacks are still king.
Could you post pictures of the Kata 3n1-20?
I'm also interested in this one but all the photos I've seen on the net are kinda smallish with no real perspective or such so you really can't see how big th bag is (relative to a person) or how much gear it can really carry.
Thanks!
05-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just ordered the 3n1-20 after perusing Amazon and the Kata site's videos. Should be here Friday and if I like it, my Tenba Shootout (large) will be going in the marketplace.
05-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Could you post pictures of the Kata 3n1-20?
I'm also interested in this one but all the photos I've seen on the net are kinda smallish with no real perspective or such so you really can't see how big th bag is (relative to a person) or how much gear it can really carry.
Thanks!
The images on Kata-bags.com are mostly of Canikon stuff, so the amount of Pentax gear that can be stuffed in there is about 20% more. ;-) I'll load up the bag and post some photos here soon, but most of my stuff was moved to the backpack for a pano hike in the woods (the big panohead fits much nicer into the R102). Another thing about Kata bags is that they give you more dividers than you might reasonably need, so if you can fit your biggest item in there, everything else can be stuffed around it with the yellow strips.

Actually, that's my only complaint about the 3n1-20: the internal "yelloop" lining isn't as fuzzy as on my other bags and the velcro pads are smaller on the dividers. I can get quite "sculptural" in packing my weird pano equipment into the other bags.

Last edited by panoguy; 05-27-2009 at 02:44 PM.
05-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a faster suggestion, get a compact like the Panasonic LZ8.
05-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I recommend Kata KN1-30

Here last time I post some photo samples of my Kata 3N1-30 with some gears similar to what you need:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/57607-adding-second-str...tml#post569013
05-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the pics, HermanLee! I've pretty much made up my mind at this point. Thanks, folks!
05-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

3N1-20 Pics

Amazon/UPS were generous and delivered the 3n1-20 a day early. Haven't taken it for a spin yet, but spent some time configuring it. I loaded it up to see how much I *could* carry and took some shots in case anyone is curious...

Side-by-side with my Tenba

SuperProgram/DriveA standing in for the K20/D-BG2

Main compartment - stuffed but comfy with body, grip + 4 zooms and 90mm macro. The upper 2 lenses aren't "convenient" to access but in real world use I would probably have a flash, filters and/or cleaning gear stowed in there.

Top Compartment & side pockets. The side pockets can hold a bit - unless you've loaded up the top section. Also, you can access the upper section of the main compartment by unzipping the "floor" of the top section.

Top Compartment - option B (just say no)

IF I ever really loaded up this full I would definitely want to use both straps rather than slung.

Last edited by Venturi; 05-29-2009 at 07:24 AM.
05-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Grimlock Quote
Thanks for the pics, HermanLee! I've pretty much made up my mind at this point. Thanks, folks!
You're welcome.
So which one are you getting?
05-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #13

I have the Kata 3 n 1 20 bag. It fits all my gear just right, but I should have gotten the 30 instead to be able to grow into.

It is a great bag. I like the straps and the different ways to put the bag on. The zippers are robust and seem to be fairly waterproof. I have only used the rain cover once but it did work as advertised. I like the fact that it sits up on it's own, but that may be a factor of the center of gravity of the gear I have or the way I loaded the bag. It's comfortable to wear in most configurations although it can be a chore to change configurations.

One of the few things I have had trouble with is trying to get the camera out of the correct side of the bag. I have to think carefully sometimes about which side the camera is on. Also my flash doesn't fit as it should but it does well enough.

All in all it's a good bag and surely does a better job than my last bag and it is prettier without screaming "camera inside" (at least not too loudly).
05-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice pix Venturi!
At least we got to see how much you can really stuff in there!
So, this is smaller than a regular backpack?
05-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks, Gerry.

Yes, it is a bit more compact in all respects than the large Tenba. That tenba bag is big and has a pouch that will accomidate a 17" laptop.

To give an example of the scale here's a shot of the tenba opened up with my two film slrs in it...

You could put a K20D with a Sigma 500/4.5 mounted in it and have room at the opposite end for another K20D w/ FA50/1.4 ... and pack an additional 5-6 lenses along the sides. Along with a large bottle of ibuprofen in one of the side pockets which would be necessary after hauling all of that around on your back for a while.

By comparison, the K20D w/ DA*300 in the default configuration would be a tight fit in the Kata 3n1-20; it would fit easily in the 3n1-30 though.