Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Right Stuff?

I'm in the market for a Tripod(With either head combo's),my question is what's the right height of tripod without raising the centre column.I'm 6'2 so I'm not after a tripod lower than 178cm,and not interested in one that's 200cm .Without going into a brands war(Any info is invaluable) comes in that range and price(Im not interested in over $AU500)

cheers

05-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Forum Member

Don't forget to factor in the height of whatever head you want to put on. The head I use is about 2-3" tall which keeps the camera higher than just the legs.

Anyway, I'm about 6'1", maybe 6'2" on a good day. I use a set Bogen/Manfrotto 055 legs with the 488 ball head. Altogether it's almost the right height for me. It's still a little short, I have to bend over a bit if I'm not using the center column, but it's not totally unreasonable.

I got the whole setup for about 300 USD last year, not sure what the current price in AU would be.

Good luck!
05-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm 6 ft. (72" / 183 cm), and I recently bought this Feisol which is 59" tall fully extended... I find this to be too high (after the tripod head, battery grip and camera add their height), so I have to avoid fully extending the lower section of the legs.
05-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consider that you're 188cm at the crown, and your eyes are centered about 10cm below that (maybe more, maybe less). Then consider that an "average" SLR camera is about 8-10cm from tripod mount to viewfinder center (measure yours). So, standing full height, you'd need nothing greater than 170cm. At 178, you'd be looking up at your viewfinder!

Next, the "problem" with no-center-column tripods is that the legs converge at the top and keep your body from fitting nicely between the legs at that height. So, you'll be bending forward just to get your chest out of the way of the legs. (A reason why photographers are always shown "bent into" their tripod mounted cameras.) Lower everything by another 8-10cm unless you are very, very thin from shoulder to shoulder. Add in a ball head or grip like previously suggested, and your "Max Height w/out center column" needs drop significantly.

Easiest is to just go to a camera store and try out the biggest tripods they have, or lift a smaller one off the ground to the height you'd feel comfy at. I'll bet it is around 158-162cm...

(Oh, and I second the Feisol. Carbon-fiber is soooo nice when the tripod is that big!)

05-28-2009, 02:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thats for setting me straight .I will be getting a Normal sized tripod

cheers
05-28-2009, 04:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, try the height out first - and 158-160cm without center column isn't exactly "normal sized." ;-)
05-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did a measurement and found that with the tripod height@ lowest was 138cm+ head 13cm+k20d 12cmwas just right if not a little low @ 163cm so I can afford to raise the centre column up a bit.Its all good
Just waiting on delivery

cheers

06-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Hi Cupic did you go for the feisol?

let me know how you find it... im in the market for something sturdy now... and also based in Aus (perth so even more limited choice! but such a beautiful place!)

Thanks

Steve