Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help with hot shoe adapters please!

I'm trying to trigger these 2 new flashes I have. Since my K100D doesn't have a pc socket I got the Hama Hot Shoe Adapter 1. It didn't work so I went to B&H and instead got the Nikon AS-15 Sync Terminal Adapter. It doesn't work either.
Both of these fire about 1 shot out of 20. The wire is fine, I tested it with a key, like the guy at BH suggested.

What hot shoe adapter will work, I'm tired of going back and forth like this?

Thanks.

05-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anything anyone?
05-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Here you go

FlashZebra.com: Multipurpose Hotshoe Adapter (Item #0064)

Flash Zebra is a godsend

You'll need a sync cord to go along with that, but they've got those too.
05-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
FlashZebra.com: Multipurpose Hotshoe Adapter (Item #0064)

Flash Zebra is a godsend

You'll need a sync cord to go along with that, but they've got those too.
Cool and cheaper than both of those.
Just to make sure, have you used these before on a pentax k100d?

05-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have not used that specific adapter nor have I ever used a K100D.

A (stupid) question though... Have you tested both flashes mounted directly on the camera's hotshoe and they work 100% of the time?
05-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have not used that specific adapter nor have I ever used a K100D.

A (stupid) question though... Have you tested both flashes mounted directly on the camera's hotshoe and they work 100% of the time?
Sorry I didn't say so, they are monolights.

I tested the end of the PC sync cord by touching it with a key and it fires all the time.
05-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

ok one more silly question before I call it a night.. What shutter speed did you have the K100D set? K10 & K20 won't even trigger the shoe when shutter is set above 1/180s

05-28-2009, 04:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just to add my two cents, I've used that Nikon AS-15 adapter and PC cord combo on my K10D/K20D, and it has worked fine, to operate a Sunpak 383 flash.
05-28-2009, 06:46 AM   #9

I've used the adapter from Flash Zebra on a K100D Super with a Nikon SB-26 without any problems.
05-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok one more silly question before I call it a night.. What shutter speed did you have the K100D set? K10 & K20 won't even trigger the shoe when shutter is set above 1/180s
That would be stupid if I couldn't fire the monolights over 1/180s. I tried it under that and it still didn't work.

QuoteOriginally posted by AndyB Quote
I've used the adapter from Flash Zebra on a K100D Super with a Nikon SB-26 without any problems.
Thanks for the info.

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Just to add my two cents, I've used that Nikon AS-15 adapter and PC cord combo on my K10D/K20D, and it has worked fine, to operate a Sunpak 383 flash.
I don't know. I'm going to BH for the last time I will ask for a different Adapter and a new PC Sync Cord. And this time I aint leaving the store till we try it on my camera.

Edit: I called BH and they said it could be my camera because both of those adapters should of worked.
If It is my hot shoe I'm pretty much screwed since my warranty is out, there will also be no way of firing those monolights.

Edit the sequel: I'm going to BH now, I will try the adapter before I leave this time.

Last edited by NYpHoToGraphEr; 05-28-2009 at 08:20 AM.
05-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NYpHoToGraphEr Quote
That would be stupid if I couldn't fire the monolights over 1/180s. I tried it under that and it still didn't work.
Stupid or not, the maximum flash synchronization speed of Pentax DSLRs is 1/180s. K100D for reference.

On the newer models at least, the hot shoe is completely turned off at shutter speeds above 1/180s.
05-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

K10 & K20 won't even trigger the shoe when shutter is set above 1/180s
That's correct. It is by design. K10D & K20D fire flash at above 1/180 sec only in high-speed mode. High-speed flash requires P-TTL.

In general, trying to fire more than one flash unit via sync cord is iffy. The flash units are connected together in a way they are not intended for. Who knows how the flashes behave!

Case in point: I can fire a Metz 45 CT 4 with my K10D and I can fire a Pentax 540. But they the two flashes are connected to the hot shoe (I built an adapter myself), only the Pentax 540 fires. Using a Wein Safe-Sync as an adapter, I can fire either flash by itself. But when I connect both flash units to the Safe-Sync, the Safe-Sync would lock up and does not fire any flash. The Safe-Sync remains locked up for at least 30 minutes afterward. During lock-up, it does not fire even there's only one flash connected to it.

The best bet is to use wireless trigger.
05-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I wonder if the increased resistance/impedance of having daisy-chained cables affects it; or if it is simply due to multiple connections being closed simultaneously. Honestly, I hadn't ever considered it because I've always gone wireless (rf or optical) ... I don't trust my feet around that much loose cabling. hehe
05-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What a day.

I am back from B&H, even more annoyed.

We tried the Hot shoe in the store and it worked, so I didn't return it.
So he said it could be either the monolights or the sync cords. Instead of going
home and bringing the monolights, I told him to give me a sync cord so I can rule that out.

We tried the sync cord in the store with a different light because the one I have wasn't plugged in, I went to pick it up-got home and guess what....It's the wrong size plug, it doesn't fit in my monolight.

When I go back on Sunday it will be the 4th time and hopefully the last.
Also after the fourth time I will of spent $16 on metrocards.

Last edited by NYpHoToGraphEr; 05-28-2009 at 11:44 AM.
05-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
2 more cents... I've used the Nikon AS-15 with a K200D, no problems - but only to trigger one flash, not multiples.