Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K200D BG-3 poor mounting?

Just received a brand new BG-3 battery grip from Cameta in the US. They were fantastic to deal with, and shipped it amazingly fast (arrived today, order was only finalized on tuesday US time as i believe monday was a public holiday).

However, when I mount the grip to the camera there is a noticable gap between the grip and the body, and the body just seems to lock up as soon as i try to turn it on with the grip attached. This is incredibly annoying because the only way to fix it is to detatch the grip and open the camera body battery door. I believe it may not be getting correct contact on all the pins.

Has anyone had a similar issue? I have tried 3 different sets of batteries, and remounted the grip 10 times or more with no luck for more than about 10 secs of it working on 1 try before i moved it and the camera locked up again.

05-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't know about BG-3, so this suggestion may not help much. The K10D/K20D grip sometimes has issues when grip e-dials are in-between clicks, but I don't think BG-3 has any e-dials, does it?
05-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nope, not e-dial on the grip, just shutter/AE-L/on-off
05-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #4

"Noticeable gap" strikes me as being wrong. Unfortunately my P&S is out on loan, so I can't show pictures, but...

The electrical pins on the grip should be springy, as in you can push them down. With the rubber cap pulled off the body, you can see the contact points are just plates, which the grip's pins rest against. Two metal rods on the corners fit into the two deepest screw holes on the body, which aligns it and keeps it from twisting. When screwed down tight on the body's tripod mount via the thumbscrew on the grip, the only gap should be caused by the small plastic bump feet on the body, meaning it's only large enough to fit a couple sheets of paper between the body and grip.

If there's a larger gap than that, something isn't fitting properly.

05-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
Just received a brand new BG-3 battery grip from Cameta in the US. They were fantastic to deal with, and shipped it amazingly fast (arrived today, order was only finalized on tuesday US time as i believe monday was a public holiday).

However, when I mount the grip to the camera there is a noticable gap between the grip and the body, and the body just seems to lock up as soon as i try to turn it on with the grip attached. This is incredibly annoying because the only way to fix it is to detatch the grip and open the camera body battery door. I believe it may not be getting correct contact on all the pins.

Has anyone had a similar issue? I have tried 3 different sets of batteries, and remounted the grip 10 times or more with no luck for more than about 10 secs of it working on 1 try before i moved it and the camera locked up again.

Yes, I have had the same issues with my BG-3 from Cameta. It's quite hard to get it to connect right. One of the pins is shorter than the others on mine... Sometimes it will power the camera but the shutter button won't work. Quite annoying to have to take it off and put it back.
05-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quension Quote
"Noticeable gap" strikes me as being wrong. Unfortunately my P&S is out on loan, so I can't show pictures, but...

The electrical pins on the grip should be springy, as in you can push them down. With the rubber cap pulled off the body, you can see the contact points are just plates, which the grip's pins rest against. Two metal rods on the corners fit into the two deepest screw holes on the body, which aligns it and keeps it from twisting. When screwed down tight on the body's tripod mount via the thumbscrew on the grip, the only gap should be caused by the small plastic bump feet on the body, meaning it's only large enough to fit a couple sheets of paper between the body and grip.

If there's a larger gap than that, something isn't fitting properly.
its noticable in the fact that i can see quite a lot of light if i hold it up against a white background and look through. its probably no more than 1mm (maybe 1.5) but its more than i would be expecting.

i have the locater pins in the screw holes, and the pins are springy as you said. as posted above, 1 pin is shorter than the others.
05-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't sound right. With winders on less-expensive cameras, sometimes you would find problems like that if the tripod mount under the bottom plate of the camera had actually backed off, actually deforming the bottom plate a little (more likely with thin metal) and making it wobbly.

I'd use a straight edge and check the bottom of the camera and top of the winder (err, grip) for any bowing or bulging, (also, just in case of missing the obvious, make sure there's nothing in the tripod socket and no burrs or other things that might lengthen the screw on your grip and make it not seat properly.

Otherwise, just send it back defective.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-30-2009 at 10:21 AM.
05-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #8

One pin is shorter on mine as well, the one centered between the 4 largest pins (rear of the "arrow" shape). That's common for electronic connectors -- they prefer to touch ground before a signal or power source for stability. It sounds like the issue with yours is one of mechanical fit
05-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well i got a bit rough with the grip and sort of bent it a little so that the centre is higher than the outer edges (well i think i did, i tried to at least)

anyway, seems to be working ok now.

i think i will pull it off again and clean all contacts with alcohol tonight just to make sure
05-31-2009, 08:33 AM   #10

I just ordered one of cameta's BG3 grips too.

AUD is at a 120 day high and I couldn't help myself. I hope she fits ok.
06-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skyntara Quote
I just ordered one of cameta's BG3 grips too.

AUD is at a 120 day high and I couldn't help myself. I hope she fits ok.
I got my BG-3 from Cameta about a month ago when they ran a special for $29US (not a typo!). No problems with fit here - holding it up to the light, I can't see any gaps between grip & body. Maybe you could check the alignment pin holes closely - perhaps they were not drilled out sufficiently or have some leftover flotsam inside. Also try fitting it without the rubber cap stowed in it's holder - might not have pressed down flush?
06-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
was working fine for a while, but camera locked up again today while i was using it

will have to get out the cleaner and clean the pins and contacts tonight and try again.