Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sadistic Pop-up Light Tents - How to Fold?

Does anyone know how to fold the Interfit Pop-up Light Tent (INT315, 60x60cm, 24x24")?

I have succeeding in folding it flat, but cannot figure out how to make it smaller to fit back into the canvas bag.

No instruction manual was included and the tiny flash images on the Interfit web site are useless (only a single image for this step).

At this point, I've twisted and pushed so much, I'm beginning to feel this is some form of sadistic exercise in a gym. If this keeps up, it may be less work (and safer considering where this thing hit me when it popped open once) to quit photography and wrestle crocodiles.

stewart

04-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a rectangular light tent from another maker, but I googled your reference and see that yours is a cube fashioned in the same manner.

These things don't twist, they fold; and they never get smaller than their longest sides: my rectangular tent folds flat to the dimension of the one of the four longest sides, your square will make a flat (1-2 inch) thick square when folded.

Why don't you take a couple photos of the thing in various folded and unfolded configurations and post them so we can all have a look?
04-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You can see a picture of it on this web site...

Interfit Accessories

Click on "Light Pods & Tent." My light tent is the last item on the next page (the smaller of the three), complete with an animated flash presentation directly underneath showing it being folded. Sadly, that flash presentation only shows a single image of the step I need (not enough to figure it out).

Anyway, I have it folded into a 2-foot square (about 1.5-inch thick), but it came folded in a black canvas bag about 10-inches in diameter. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get it from the 2-feet back into that 10-inch bag.

I've emailed Interfit for directions, but no response yet.

stewart
04-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Stuart,
It looks like the guy is starting with the opening facing him and pushing it flat to the table and then the top is folding on top of that But your right for the life of me if this is the way it's done then they are missing a step to get it to go to 10'' and back in the bag. I'm sorry I can't be of much help but when you get it figured out take step by step shots and post them. I would be very interested to see how the bloody thing works.

Good luck my friend

04-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not that hard-just three loops--it's a figure 8 with an extra lobe.

Left hand at about 11:00, palm down, right hand at 6:30 palm up--keep your thumbs pointed out like a hitch-hiker.

With the right hand, twist counter-clock wise, the loops will fold at the top and twist at the bottom. Keep twisting the right hand-a flap will appear in the back top area-twist the right hand a bit more and tuck it into this flap. The left hand gets pulled along the bottom and the loop thats there should be flattened against the two loops right near the bottom--adjust the three loops so all are approximately the same diameter. About the time you think 'enough' it will work-be calm!.
04-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #6

haha. I had the same problem with mine. It takes a lot of force to close it, more than I was expecting. I doubt I can explain how to do it clearly, but I'll try anyway.

Starting with it as flat as possible, hold the corners with the tent horizontal in front of you. Bring the corners together so the half of the edge near your forms circle (your hands will start to cross--imagine you're holding two ends of a string and you want to move them into a circle). Make the circle tighter / smaller (your right hand should be on the left side, left hand on right) and the edge that was away from you should bend in. Hopefully the edge away from you should form a small loop too. Using your third hand, shove the loop formed by the far edge into the one you're holding (you may have to twist it one way or another to get it to fold).

Apologies in advance to anyone who is killed or injured by their light tent while attempting to follow the directions above.
04-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by walter Quote
haha. I had the same problem with mine. It takes a lot of force to close it, more than I was expecting.
That's the truth. One wouldn't think something so small could take so much effort. They should sell the metal rings inside as exercise equipment.

QuoteQuote:
Using your third hand,

LOL. Okay, that's it. Bring on the crocodiles.

stewart

04-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Does anyone know how to fold the Interfit Pop-up Light Tent (INT315, 60x60cm, 24x24")?
Interfit responded to my email today by saying they were posting a .pdf file on their web site with step-by-step instructions. For anyone interested, it ("Guide to Pop up Light Tents") can by found on the very bottom of their "Downloads" page.

Those instructions (with pictures) certainly seem more clear. When I get my nerves back, I'll try it again. But first, I'm going to check my injury insurance to see if it covers getting wacked by vicious metal rings posing as a mild mannered light tent.

stewart